Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Coming back to riding after a long time ... Trike ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 08:36 PM
medicgarou
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coming back to riding after a long time ... Trike ??

So here's the deal. I've not ridden a motorcycle in YEARS, which would be to say almost 25 years now, since I was a teen. I don't have any physical limitations that would preclude me from riding a 2 wheeler but after so much time gone, I'm thinking about a trike. And here's where things get tricky, since I'm new here I don't want to make a bad first impression but want to ask. When I told a buddy from High School that I was thinking about a Tri Glide Ultra the very first thing he said was "Why the Hell would you do that, you're not that old ?? Hell I won't even wave to those damn things" (He's a buddy but always been an opinionated ***-hat at times) Is that still the way trikes are seen by the majority ? As only being good for people who are too old or too weak to lift a 2 wheeled bagger ? To me, the TGU looks like it would be comfortable as all get out to ride for long distances. One complaint I've seen is the fact that it doesn't handle like a 2 wheeler which some see as an issue. Since it's been so long for me I'd assume (and we all know what that does) that it would be an easier transition for me. Just looking for some honest feedback here folks, thanks in advance !

The following users liked this post:
Daniel R. Eakin (06-09-2020)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I ride a Trike because I want to not for any other reason. I still have my two wheelers that I ride too. Who gives a **** if your buddy does not wave. What a douche thing to say, he probably the bigges poser on the planet.

Do what you want. Trikes are great. Whatever floats your boat.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gitarded:
ISP-FLHTK (04-29-2017), medicgarou (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:03 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Welcome aboard! I think your friend needs to follow an experienced triker through some twisties, might give him something else to think about!

First off, since it has been a long time, I would recommend a riding course to brush up your skills. That done, try to rent a Tri or Freewheeler for a day or 2. This would be well worth the cost. Then you would at least have an idea if you want to take it further.

If you have ever ridden an ATV or snowmobile, a trike would handle something like that.
Bike you lean in turns, trike you steer.
Bike you put your feet down at stops, trike you don't.
Bike has both wheels in same track, trike has 3 different wheel tracks = might be a rougher ride. Also wider in the rear around curbs & gas pumps.
Trike is more stable on slippery roads & SHOULD be more visible to other traffic (larger profile).

Those are just some of the differences I can think of at the moment. They are a blast to ride and that works for me!
Good luck to you.

The following 2 users liked this post by graygoat:
Fearless (old nickname) (04-29-2017), medicgarou (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 PM
bookworm
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I fully agree with both gitarded and graygoat. I had a 2007 ultra that I bought new and just sold it a year ago. It was a great bike for touring. But, consider this - I suspect that the bikes you rode 25 years ago only weighed 300 lbs. or so. If you were looking at motorcycles and came across the trike you were probably also looking at something like the ultra limited or similar. Guess what? The big touring bikes weigh nearly three times as much as the bikes of our youth. And while you may be able to easily get one off the jiffy stand and head down the road it takes a lot of time and experience to handle one at low speeds (think parking lots, friends drives, your favorite bar, etc.). Add to that a passenger that likes to wiggle around and I will be watching for your "dropped the dang thing again" posts. Don't ask me how I know...

Trikes handle like a dream slow, fast and in between. I just finished a long ride from TX to NE (625 miles in 10 hours) and had 35 mph cross winds in KS. The trike was rock solid and never moved a bit even though the wind would have liked to yank my helmet off. I had a similar experience on my '07 and the pucker factor was extremely high.

Not sold yet? Just watch your buddy, the "real biker", search for a place to park that doesn't go downhill, or have loose gravel, or oily patches 'cause failing to do so means waiting for an ugly push from some friends or passerbys. Those 850 lb. baggers don't roll uphill easily at all going forward or backward. Don't ask me how I know...but the simple answer to this issue is Reverse. What a wonderful invention and it works great!

Lastly, if you think you will ride two up and your passenger has not been on a bike maybe ever, a trike will be a much easier transition for her. Of course, if you are looking for something to make every ride miserable until she files for divorce (once again, don't ask me how I know...) then go with two wheels. But, a trike pretty much eliminates the need to continually yell "lean the way I'm leaning, dammit!" on every corner.

The following 7 users liked this post by bookworm:
Cagmo (04-30-2017), Clint44 (05-07-2017), Fearless (old nickname) (04-29-2017), JTimes (04-29-2017), medicgarou (04-29-2017), r-bar-j (07-05-2021), Salty O Grunt (10-02-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:09 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,361 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Taking a rider course is a good idea. What I like about two wheels is being able to lean into the corners, and a trike can't do that. If I ever get where I can't hold up my bagger, I wouldn't hesitate to get a trike.

Do what u want.

BTW: I wave at trikes all the time.

The following 2 users liked this post by jeffro09:
Fearless (old nickname) (04-29-2017), medicgarou (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 06:03 AM
medicgarou
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys for the replies. Bookworm, bro if you aren't a carpenter you should be because you hit the nail right on the head!. The last bike I owned was a dual sport I bought used when I was first in the military. And yes, I was looking at a bagger, something to do some longer distance rides on. What brought me into the dealer was a Street Glide Special. As a wounded vet myself I am very passionate about joining the Legion Riders at my local post and also the patriot guard. As far as Graygoat's comment the larger profile is also something that crossed my mind. As an Emergency Dept. Physician ( and the wife is a Flight Nurse) I'm sure we could both tell you story after story about patients we've had over the years which has honestly, kept us from riding over the past. I recently relocated back to Northern New York where I grew up and not only is there less traffic than there was in Houston, the rides are just incredible. I pretty much had my mind made up but before dropping $40k on a trike I just wanted to check. As I said I don't have any conditions that would keep me from a 2 wheeled bike and being a combat vet and MD there's an amount of ego involved (which I know there SHOULDN'T be) but just wanted to hear from real riders and not a guy I knew 29 years ago.. Cheers !!

Last edited by medicgarou; 04-29-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:16 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

As others have said, ride for your self, not what others think. I had 2 wheel riding friends that initially gave me crap about riding a 3 wheel, but after time they realized the wife and I were riding more, and enjoying longer rides than they could handle on 2 wheels. Now all of them respect my and my wife's decision, and we ride together. Most of the time I will lead like I used to on 2 wheels. Do I miss the leaning into the curves? Yes! Is it as fast as my 2 wheel? No. Are these facts enough to make me go back to 2 wheel? Not a chance. After a 4 hr ride on a buddy's Street Glide on a windy day. I know I have the best choice for me and the wife.

medicgarou (05-01-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 06:19 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

We have both a 2 wheeler and a trike. Like them both and they are enjoyable in different ways. Since you've ridden motorcycles in the past, you'll quickly adapt to the newer bikes out there now. If you've never ridden a trike before, I think it will take you more than a one day rental to get comfortable & appreciate one. I rode the trike about 1000 miles before it dawned on me that I really liked it.

I live in Daytona, where we have a large number of bikes and trikes. Imo, there are a higher percentage of more skillful trike riders than motorcycle riders. When we go to the mountains in GA, NC & TN, most "Good" motorcycle riders can't keep up with a "Good" trike rider. Maybe this indicates trikes are easier to ride?

Not that it matters, but I don't wave to anyone. And I've been known to put my feet on the ground to stretch out at stop lights, lol. Have fun with your decision & whichever direction you go, ride safe!

The following 2 users liked this post by Daytona Fat Boy:
ISP-FLHTK (04-29-2017), medicgarou (05-01-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 08:50 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

A post was just put on in the "General Chat" section addressing older riders. I'll repeat generally what I commented on there. I am almost 65 and we switched from an Ultra last year to a Trike. Health concerns or age did not enter into the decision. I ride daily in a very congested metro area and being on a Trike seemed safer and more visible to me. Plus we wanted to start taking more long distance 2-up trips.

When my health starts to decline the Trike will be sold and I will find a used Sporty to sit in the garage for occasion solo rides. I generally consider a Trike owner to be a "senior" rider, not necessarily a partially disabled senior citizen, even though it could fit the needs of someone with limitations also.

medicgarou (05-01-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 08:55 AM
lah2420
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome. I, like you, have no physical limitations forcing me to a trike. My biggest factor was the wife She said she would ride with me if I bought a trike. So after 20 plus years of not riding, we are back riding again. As far as disrespect, who cares? I have seen very few people not wave and more than enough approach me out of curiosity about how I like the ride. Plenty of storage for trips, stability in ALL road conditions, easy handling, face in the wind again, and, best of all, the wife will ride with me. I can't think of a better choice. Those poor 2 wheel riders don't know what they are missing.

The following 3 users liked this post by lah2420:
Fearless (old nickname) (04-29-2017), ISP-FLHTK (05-07-2017), medicgarou (05-01-2017)

Quick Reply: Coming back to riding after a long time ... Trike ??