Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TPMS - anyone using them

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 08:16 PM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Default TPMS - anyone using them

TPMS - tire pressure monitor system. I seen the FOBO set up,
But are there any others out there, who's using what?
FOBO must be hooked into your phone, I don't want to mount
The phone onto the bike.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:17 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,246 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Been several threads on this. Try the search feature.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:32 PM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks

Old 04-29-2017, 08:36 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Loved mine with the GARmin Zumo. Problem is, they only work with metal valve stems. Now, 4 bikes, but only one with the TPMS installed, and the hardest to check is the FLHR without TPMS. SUX.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:40 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Why would you need to mount your phone? Do really feel that you need to watch your tire press 24/7? I have the Fobo kit on my RGU. I check my pressure each weekend and sometimes more often as the weather starts getting warmer.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:24 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a TPMS set up on my motorhome. It monitors all six tires (psi and temp) and of course gives me an alarm if something goes wrong. Just don't see the need on a bike.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:03 PM
bagger51
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the idea of these, but wow they are expensive! Looks like at least $75.00 a wheel. Is there a cheaper place to buy them?

Old 05-01-2017, 08:39 AM
HOGN IT
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I Got My TPMS From Doran (360M Tire Monitoring System)

Works great! I have it hot-wired to the battery, which is a minor negative (as are the valve stem sensor size, price and the fact that the tire sensors have to be replaced every 2-3 years). For me though, the sense of peace and confidence I have in knowing that my tires are properly inflated before I get on the bike (without having to check the air pressure on 3 wheels, every time I leave the house, as well as every time I stop while away from the house), and the fact that I will get an early warning if one or more tires begins to lose air while on the road, is worth far more than the money, particularly since Wifey rides with me often.

Like all of you, I am not in the habit of checking my tires' pressure before every ride. That's 3 wheels times how many rides per month, just before you leave the house. And what if you pick up a nail after you leave the garage (I have done that in my driveway, of all places), and the tire begins to SLOWLY lose air? None of us check the pressure on all 3 tires at each stop while we're out, so if you have picked up a nail, you aren't going to know it unless you check your tires and air pressure at every stop. And what if a tire starts losing pressure gradually while you're riding? At what point will you know it? Before or after it's too late? Those are the reasons I bit the bullet and bought the 3-wheel version of the Doran system (plus the over-the-top "before the sale" service I got from Tim Mullen. I had the TPMS installed at the H-D dealership before ever taking delivery of the bike. Doran was very helpful in working with my H-D dealership in getting the wiring set up and in syncing the sensors with the display module/monitor. My system notifies me of as little as 1 lb pressure loss, on any tire.

I had the H-D dealership hot-wire the TPMS to the battery because if it's not always powered, you have to ride the bike 3-5 minutes for the syncing process to sense the pressures and provide accurate status. I want to know the status before I leave the house, not 5 minutes later, so I "put up" with the slight battery drain, which is no problem so long as you don't go a couple of weeks without cranking the bike, plus I always have my battery connected to a 1.25 Amp H-D battery tender, which won't over charge the battery, but will recharge if a less-than-normal battery output level is detected, which I would have done without regard to the TMPS anyway, in order to prolong the life of the battery.

The sensors are big and bulky, and the front-tire valve stem requires a 90 degree bend to prevent the sensor from contacting the caliper (Doran's kit includes 6 metal valve stems, 3 are 90 degree bends, 3 are straight). They do require metal valve stems, as someone else pointed out. The sensors have a limited life (internal battery), so they have to be replaced every 2-3 years, according to Doran. You can't just replace the battery; you have to replace the entire sensor. And they ain't cheap to replace, either. Somewhere between $50 and $75 each, For not too much more, you could buy the entire system again, so you have to be committed to your cost/benefit decision. You have to decide for yourself how important it is for you to know your tire pressures and whether knowing that a tire is losing air pressure while you're riding is worth the money. For me it was an easy decision, and I would do it again in a heartbeat, but it was also an expensive decision to make. Good luck in making your own decision.