Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Rear Shock Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 06:13 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rear Shock Update

After finding the left rear factory air shock leaking oil, it was time to toss those things in the trash.

I wanted to go with the Pro-Action from DK Customs but budget constraints and finding a good Amazon deal on Progressive 444-4020Bs caused me to go with those instead.

My only comment is why did I not do this 2 days after buying the TG?

Just got to take a decent ride on Sunday and what a difference! I have the Progressives set to 3 grooves showing and two up it glides over bumps and rough pavement that would have rattled your teeth with the air shocks set to any pressure.

When I can going to put the Progressive monotubes in the forks and that should make a really good combination.

The following users liked this post:
ISP-FLHTK (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

How bad was the install? Do you have a lift kit too?

Any tips for others planning the same?

Old 05-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Lilman
Road Captain

Yes, I have one of DK's Comfort Lift Kits.

Install wasn't too bad, not sure if it was just mine or all of them but there's very little room on the bottom to get the bolts out. I had mine up on a lift and did one side at a time, first loosening the bottom, then completely removing the top. Then back the bottom bolt all the way out so the threads are disengaged and twist the shock to bring shock and bolt out together.

Probably the worst part was needing long arms to reach up in the body for the top bolts. Long arms I don't have so it was a contortionist act.

Total time from going on the lift to completion, about 2 hours and I was doing other things at the same time.

Very well worth the time and money!

The following 3 users liked this post by Lilman:
DK Custom (05-10-2017), Fearless (old nickname) (05-11-2017), Gitarded (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Frankss
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear/know. Ordered a 2017, having dealer install the DK shocks and lift kit from Dennis at Tglide. Had driven to Muncie a few years back with a friend who had Dennis put a lift kit and a few other items on his bike.
hope to get my Freewheeler on Mon. Boy it sure was along process.
one I get it hopeto post all the stuff I added.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:53 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

How difficult is it to adjust those shocks once installed and ready to go? Thinking about that for when going to ride two up and or with luggage vs riding solo. I realise that on a bagger it's just a matter of removing the bags and the shocks are exposed but on a TG, thats a different story all together. I would love some better shocks, but would like to know more about that first.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:28 PM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
How difficult is it to adjust those shocks once installed and ready to go? Thinking about that for when going to ride two up and or with luggage vs riding solo. I realise that on a bagger it's just a matter of removing the bags and the shocks are exposed but on a TG, thats a different story all together. I would love some better shocks, but would like to know more about that first.

I have the coil over rears on my 2011. First thing I found was how bad they made the 2011 front end feel. Went with the Axion cartridge units on front and then I got a better ride overall.

As far as adjusting the preload on rears for one up / two up/ and then trailer, call me a hard butt but mine were set for best ride I could get and that is where they are, life too short for constant adjusting. This setup rides better than stock, a decent ride for a trike. I will say I expected better but don’t we all.

Dennis

Old 05-11-2017, 04:24 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

Ditto what Dennis said. Always ran the same pressure in air shocks and before our next trip I'll adjust these to our max load. They will stay in that position.

Did the same thing on my baggers before going to the TG. Always installed Ohlin shocks on the rear, set them once and left them alone.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

I've also been researching shocks for the TG. Lilman you stated one factor was price, I checked Amazon and they were listed for 570.00, I've been looking at Super Shox, 650.00, lifetime warranty and 30 day money back guarante....
Anyone have any first hand info on the Super Shox? I know one rider has them on his wife's FW and she really likes them.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I take it that it's not an easy task then. I guess I got spoiled with the dial for adjustments that were on my 15 Ultra Limited Low. That was super easy. I'm not sure if I want to go with the set it and forget it route. For me it makes a big difference if I add a passenger and or travel gear. Recently I had a heavy passenger on mine for a short ride and I didn't change the pressure, I felt the difference right away. Now that was with the original suspension.

Thanks for the information

Old 05-11-2017, 12:23 PM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
I take it that it's not an easy task then. I guess I got spoiled with the dial for adjustments that were on my 15 Ultra Limited Low. That was super easy. I'm not sure if I want to go with the set it and forget it route. For me it makes a big difference if I add a passenger and or travel gear. Recently I had a heavy passenger on mine for a short ride and I didn't change the pressure, I felt the difference right away. Now that was with the original suspension.

Thanks for the information

I am talking the pre load adjustment. Now the rebound lever on mine is easy, just slide under and move lever from hard to soft. (I personally have it set in the middle and good to go)
Again, I guess I am a hard butt, I found little difference with air shocks between 20 and 40 PSI. I also find little difference with the coil overs after I set them with me riding and then adding passenger and trailer and it is still good to go.
If you are the type to adjust for different loads, The rebound lever or dial on other brands are easy to get to and adjust. Do not think once you set the spring portion you will need to adjust it again.
Just my take on a "shocking" part of trike riding.
Dennis

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Update