Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Opinions: Could I give my dad with cancer a bucket ride on a Tri Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:05 PM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

TDHD your a good man for taking care of your Dad like you do. I would love to see you take your Dad on this ride. All I can say if it was me I would take him for the ride.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:27 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

This is such an amazing story, as sad as the circumstances are I believe this will be something that will inspire many. Ditto all the above advice, especially making it a nice slow ride and lowering tire and shock pressures. You're a good son, I hope your Dad has an absolute blast and I'm guessing the whole community will be there cheering you both. God bless and please give your Dad the very best from all of us.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 AM
studiopeg
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Does anyone have tips on how best to get dad into the passenger seat? We will have people on each side to help him in, but not sure what's the best way to do this.

I pick up the Tri Glide the day before the big ride. I'm thinking I should have my husband and myself try it with him first the day before so there won't be any glitches for the big ride.

Thanks,
Peg

Last edited by studiopeg; 06-26-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:45 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by studiopeg
Does anyone have tips on how best to get dad into the passenger seat? Will will have people on each side to help him in, but not sure what's the best way to do this.

I pick up the Tri Glide the day before the big ride. I'm thinking I should have my husband and myself try it with him first the day before so there won't be any glitches for the big ride.

Thanks,
Peg
Any forum member who is an occupational therapist should be able to assist you.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Both my wife (bad hip & knee) & my sister (both knees replaced) back up to the trike and put one foot on rider floorboard and then other foot on passenger floorboard and then scoot back unto the passenger seat and then swing the foot from the rider floorboard over the tank. If you do this with your dad, put a towel or something over the tank to avoid a boot scuff.
Another thought would be to assist your dad to face the side of the trike, step up onto the rider floorboard, face the front and step the other foot over the seat and unto the other rider floor board. Turning the handle bar away from him a little will give him something to hold onto in this process (should be helper on both sides of the trike). Once he is setting in the rider seat, then help him scoot back unto the passenger seat.
Your practice idea is excellent to see what might work best for you to help him. I would put a towel over the mounting side rear fender as well.
Just my thoughts.

Best of luck to all of you and looking forward to your report and pics!!

Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 AM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

Great ideas, and I totally forgot how careful I used to be with lifting my legs over my bags. My dad would definitely scrape his shoe on the trike. Great idea about the towel, thanks!!

Originally Posted by graygoat
Both my wife (bad hip & knee) & my sister (both knees replaced) back up to the trike and put one foot on rider floorboard and then other foot on passenger floorboard and then scoot back unto the passenger seat and then swing the foot from the rider floorboard over the tank. If you do this with your dad, put a towel or something over the tank to avoid a boot scuff.
Another thought would be to assist your dad to face the side of the trike, step up onto the rider floorboard, face the front and step the other foot over the seat and unto the other rider floor board. Turning the handle bar away from him a little will give him something to hold onto in this process (should be helper on both sides of the trike). Once he is setting in the rider seat, then help him scoot back unto the passenger seat.
Your practice idea is excellent to see what might work best for you to help him. I would put a towel over the mounting side rear fender as well.
Just my thoughts.

Best of luck to all of you and looking forward to your report and pics!!

Old 06-30-2017, 09:15 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

Picking the Tri Glide up tomorrow morning. Please tell if I have the procedure for backing up correct:

Put in neutral, let go of clutch
Make sure parking brake is off
Press and hold R until it lights on the speedo, then let go
Press R again to start reversing, and do not use brakes

Did I miss anything?

Old 07-01-2017, 06:30 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Picking the Tri Glide up tomorrow morning. Please tell if I have the procedure for backing up correct:

Did I miss anything?
You got it!

The following users liked this post:
studiopeg (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 08:23 AM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Did I miss anything?
Sounds like you got it. Remember, it's not designed for "long distance reversing" just short bursts. Probably won't apply since you have a short trip planned but I still maintain my two wheel mentality when parking the trike and rarely have to use reverse, but when you do it's nice to have. Like I said before, you are a good son, I hope this goes even better than planned. Be sure to let us all know how it goes.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:48 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ncdeekay
Sounds like you got it. Remember, it's not designed for "long distance reversing" just short bursts. Probably won't apply since you have a short trip planned but I still maintain my two wheel mentality when parking the trike and rarely have to use reverse, but when you do it's nice to have. Like I said before, you are a good son, I hope this goes even better than planned. Be sure to let us all know how it goes.
I did just fine. I did have to reverse it into the driveway to make it easier to just go straight out tomorrow. Zipped around on it for a few hours, oh what a feeling to be on a bike again!

BTW I am a daughter

Last edited by studiopeg; 07-01-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions: Could I give my dad with cancer a bucket ride on a Tri Glide?