Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2016 Triglide at a Bike Dealership attempting to install a lift kit and shocks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Mike in MD
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lift is a DK Comfort Lift with Pro action shocks. The trike didn't lean to left at all prior to this install. I had my mufflers replaced before the lift and shocks and checked everything. The trike sat level.
If I was physically able to crawl under the trike I would do it myself! Unfortunately I can't. So far I have paid out $800.00 in parts and another $400.00 in labor. I am pretty much sick of the whole thing.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:54 AM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Mike, I was looking at your pics with the measuring tape and it looked like slightly over 1/2" difference. My 2016 TGU and 2017 TGU have about the same discrepancy.

The question I would have is "what is the big deal?". I don't think that the minor discrepancy is very easily detected visually and I don't think it affects riding so not sure what the big deal is? I enjoy my ride and don't worry about every imperfection in the build because it is just a machine. Unfortunately, my personal physiological build came with more flaws than my factory made Harley

Old 06-12-2017, 11:42 AM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Default There is no need at all to take the body off to install shocks and lift.

Normally to install a lift and shocks there is no need to take the body off at all. I installed the 1" 1-2 lift brackets by Tri Glide Stuff they were designed specifically for the 2017 model trikes because of the over sized header weld and clearance issues on the 2017 models. Also I installed new Pro Action rear shocks right through the fender wells without removing the body all in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours with two jack stands and two floor jacks. All in my garage at my leisure.

This is one of the best things I have done to my trike. The regular 1.25" lift brackets will cause the swing arm to hit on the exhaust headers weld that is why I used the Tri Glide Stuff 1-2 lift brackets for the 2017 model trikes or the multi adjust 1" or 1.25" DK comfort lift brackets either brand lift brackets work great on the 2017 models.

On your 2016 model the regular 1.25" comfort lift by DK or there multi adjust Comfort lift brackets should work well. I hope you get the body mounted back up correct and straight. If there was any lean issues now is the time to correct it with the body adjustments since you have it off.

Your making work for your self.
Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Triglide at a Bike Dealership attempting to install a lift kit and shocks!!!-img_4445.jpg   2016 Triglide at a Bike Dealership attempting to install a lift kit and shocks!!!-1-2.jpg   2016 Triglide at a Bike Dealership attempting to install a lift kit and shocks!!!-img_4753.jpg   2016 Triglide at a Bike Dealership attempting to install a lift kit and shocks!!!-img_4754.jpg  

Last edited by Bill G; 06-12-2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: add information
Old 06-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Mike in MD
Novice

To me it is a big deal when you spend that kind of money! All you have to do is stand behind the Trike and if you can't see the difference your blind. I have the DK Lift with the multi adjust holes & the pro action shocks.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:54 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by EC145Pilot
Just an observation, looking at your picture.

It appears they have the lift under the center housing. That may be their issue.
The lift needs to be under the frame, so the axle can be manipulated (raised and lowered independently of the frame) to install the lift brackets and shocks.

That was my experience.

Regards,
Originally Posted by Avenger61
Maybe you should mention the name of that dealership so everyone knows to never go there. If they can't install that setup they should just lock the doors and sell hot dogs!!
It is Old Glory HD in Maryland. We have talked to them on the phone 4 separate times, trying to help them, reading the instructions to them, encouraging them to watch the install video.

We don't know why they have such an aversion to following the instructions, but it appears they finally did, and got it installed....BUT then they installed the body crooked.

We work with dozens of HD Dealerships every month, never have we run into one where the experience with the "techs" even approaches what we experienced here.

Most dealerships charge between 1-2 hours to do this job. They follow the instructions and all goes smoothly.

Originally Posted by bronxbill
I just helped a friend install a Legends Lift Kit on his trike; it was a nightmare. It took us over 3 hrs and a lot of nasty words before we were done. I have installed the DK Comfort lift on two of my trikes and I was able to do it myself in just over an hour with no problems. I guess the make of the lift kit does matter
Yes, yes it does. Mike got the Convertible Comfort Lift™, which is super easy to install on the '17's.

Originally Posted by Mike in MD
The lift is a DK Comfort Lift with Pro action shocks. The trike didn't lean to left at all prior to this install. I had my mufflers replaced before the lift and shocks and checked everything. The trike sat level.
If I was physically able to crawl under the trike I would do it myself! Unfortunately I can't. So far I have paid out $800.00 in parts and another $400.00 in labor. I am pretty much sick of the whole thing.
Mike, we know your frustration...even if just in small part. Dwayne has sent you an email.

It appears they finally read the instructions or watched the video, and got the Convertible Comfort Lift™ installed, along with your PA Shocks installed.

It is not possible for the shocks or the lift to make it crooked (unless they fiddled with the adjustment of one of the shocks), it is apparent that they re-installed the body crooked. If you are not up for fixing it (just a matter of 6 bolts loosened, then re-tightened) you can take it to any dealership and they will straighten it for you under warranty.

I would NOT take it back to them. Who knows what they will do or say.

It is very common for bodies to arrive from the factory off kilter a bit. It is also very common for dealerships to straighten them out under warranty.

Please feel free to call or email us anytime, with any questions.

Hopefully you will be able to begin enjoying your improved ride quality, and find a different dealership for future work/maintenance on your Trike.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-12-2017, 05:55 PM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Convertible Lift Kit

With the Convertible Comfort Life kit, is it possible the tech installed one side in the "full lift" hole and the other side in the "secondary" hole?

Just a thought.

Regards,

Old 06-12-2017, 07:47 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by EC145Pilot
With the Convertible Comfort Life kit, is it possible the tech installed one side in the "full lift" hole and the other side in the "secondary" hole?

Just a thought.

Regards,
Yes, that would be possible. It would take a special kind of person to do that.

But, on the 2017, only the left side could be installed with the full lift, making the left side sit higher.

The exhaust is in the way on the right side for this 2017, preventing it from being installed at the full lift setting...and I believe it is his right side sitting higher.

It is quite common for the bodies to be installed off kilter. It happens more often than not. What he has shown is exactly what is typically seen on a large % of the trikes, straight from the factory...OR when a dealership that is not paying attention pulls one off and then puts it back on.

If it was his left side sitting higher, I would not put it past them to have installed the brackets unevenly....Good thought!

Old 06-13-2017, 06:32 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,040 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino 2
There isn't any hole to cover, The ring gear is out in the open' reverse motor on or not....
If they quoited him 500... Thats because they didn't want to do it for some reason.....Its called a i don't want to do it price....

I think any dealer would do it if someone is willing to pay them $500.00.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Mike in MD
Novice

That was the first thing I checked was to see if they Used different holes on the brackets. That wasn't the issue both sides were the same. As far as paying them I don't have much of a choice. In the last two years I had to have a pace maker put in followed by a triple bypass and a knee surgery so I can't do to much anymore.

Last edited by Mike in MD; 06-13-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:55 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 47000412
I think any dealer would do it if someone is willing to pay them $500.00.
Thats just it.....Nobody would pay...

Quick Reply: 2016 Triglide at a Bike Dealership attempting to install a lift kit and shocks!!!