Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

looking for some help with something simple

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:54 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
thanks to the thread i just looked at my bushiings and they are gone, as in wore out with only 3500 miles on the tri-glide. looks just like the above picture or worse. harley needs to do something different with this junk setup. i'm pissed about this, god only knows how long the bike will be tied up at the dealer. the damn thing is a month away from being out of warrenty.
I'm as pissed as you are. I am lucky I have mine in the first place. I got really sick a few years ago with a brain and nervous system problem. That illness took everything I had and then some. My bikes were the biggest lose to me. I had to leave a job that paid really well and my income is only about a quarter of what I used to make. A very successful friend made this happen for me. I could never afford something like this.

I hope to hell that you find someone to fix it. The dealer where I got this one is coming 6/22 to pick it up and fix it.

Thank you for helping!

Last edited by wlibert; 06-18-2017 at 01:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Franco428 (08-02-2019)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

We need a moderator to make this a stick so that everyone can see this issue and check their trikes.

Franco428 (08-02-2019)
Old 06-17-2017, 12:11 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

number in front of the owners manual. and i don't know how much she really cared, but she heard my story and gave me a reference number to use at the dealer. this really does suck ! you can't rely on the bike any longer. i just hope the dealer does the repair correctly and and does not damage the bike. i don't place much faith in the dealers.
i had another question for you. has anyone told you that it is normal for the bushings to look that way ? off center and pieces falling out ? let us know what your dealer is saying as i am preparing myself to deal with them. THANKS !

Last edited by hardheaded; 06-17-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Franco428 (08-02-2019)
Old 06-17-2017, 02:22 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by wlibert
I'm as pissed as you are. I am lucky I have mine in the first place. I got really sick a few years ago with a brain and nervous system problem. That illness took everything I had and then some. My bikes were the biggest lose to me. I had to leave a job that paid really well and my income is only a third of is about a quarter of what I used to make. A very successful friend made this happen for me. I could never afford something like this.

I hope to hell that you find someone to fix it. The dealer where I got one is coming 6/22 to pick it up and fix it.

Thank you for helping!
have the dealer seen your trike already ? if they are coming to pick it up i'm assuming they said they are bad.

Franco428 (08-02-2019)
Old 06-17-2017, 02:52 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Well CRAP!! I just check mine on my 2012 with 31,000 miles. My bushings are worn at the top, with screws of rubber...and the bolt is not centered in the bushing.

My warranty expired 1 month ago. And with several visits due to my claim it is wandering I got:
- couldn't replicate the problem.

When I said the heim joints are worn, I got..."they're all like that"

So...what are the symptoms of worn swing arm bushings???

Should this be something that is checked by the dealer at each 5K service?

I've ordered better quality aftermarket heim joints that I'm going to replace myself next week. But, this bushing looks like a lot of work to replace.

EDIT: This is a part that is in common with the Ultra Frame. I'm going to post on the touring site and see if anyone is experiencing issues with it there.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 06-17-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Franco428 (08-02-2019)
Old 06-17-2017, 03:22 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

after looking close at this i'm wondering if the left side can be replaced by just removeing the fork block?

Franco428 (08-02-2019)
Old 06-17-2017, 03:24 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Well CRAP!! I just check mine on my 2012 with 31,000 miles. My bushings are worn at the top, with screws of rubber...and the bolt is not centered in the bushing.

My warranty expired 1 month ago. And with several visits due to my claim it is wandering I got:

I've ordered better quality aftermarket heim joints that I'm going to replace myself next week. But, this bushing looks like a lot of work to replace.

EDIT: This is a part that is in common with the Ultra Frame. I'm going to post on the touring site and see if anyone is experiencing issues with it there.
i'm betting this is a common problem, but no one looks under that cap.

Franco428 (08-02-2019)
Old 06-17-2017, 03:28 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

i've done so already.

Franco428 (08-02-2019)
Old 06-17-2017, 04:19 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by wlibert
We need a moderator to make this a stick so that everyone can see this issue and check their trikes.
i was wondering if you could post the parts they were replaced for that work order ?

Franco428 (08-02-2019)
Old 06-17-2017, 04:21 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Your post got my attention, so I went to the garage to check on my FreeWheeler. It has the same setup as the TG. Under the left cap, the are small bits of rubber. The right side looks normal. The FW is a 2016 and only has about 1900 miles on it.
I am going to call H-D and see what they have to say about it. It looks like there is much more to this problem than at first glance.

Keep us posted about everyone's encounter with the dealership. We all need to be aware of any problems with the dealer.

Franco428 (08-02-2019)

Quick Reply: looking for some help with something simple