Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

swing arm bushings !

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:55 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts
Default swing arm bushings !

seen a picture on here somehwere of the swingarm bushings ate up. well, just look at mine and there are shot and the swingarm looks to be just wallowing around in the frame. this thing has only 3500 miles on it ! what the hell, i'm i going to have to replace them every 3500 ? more of HD's low quality junk. this may be the breaking point for me on this thing. i just may buy my old softail back and trike it. the tri-glide sure isn't worth the money they want for them.

ok, i've cooled off a bit. can this bushing be replaced without removing the entire swingarm assembly ?

Old 06-17-2017, 05:49 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

There are multiple threads in this.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:58 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
There are multiple threads in this.
And in multiple Forums....

Old 06-17-2017, 08:41 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino 2
And in multiple Forums....
If you have the time can you please point me in the right direction? I would like to see other threads on this topic.

I started one on here but have been having trouble finding others. Multiple members responded to my post and went to take pictures as I asked of the pivot shaft nuts and where the shaft goes through the frames. They all found the same problem, a few, and rightly so, are pissed. They have less mileage on them than mine.

This started out as something the dealership where I got my trike didn't catch for one reason or another. My statement to them was that I am going to make sure that whatever they failed to do is going to get fixed whether they fixed my trike or not. I told even if they fix my trike I will be in the background watching and listening and if this occurs again I will come forward and stand with survivors. That's just how I am. The other thing I told them as I started getting pictures is that this thing is growing in visibility and others are finding the same thing. They were told that many local to me saw the pics I posted of the trike at their location, they recognize it, and they have now seen the all of pictures of what's happening. It's public. No fingers have been pointed or names mentioned. Those that know who is involved, as I said said saw the pics I posted when I got the keys and they recognized the dealership.

They are coming 6/22 to pickup my trike and fix it. I'm holding my breath on that part.

I want the mothership aware of this situation and I think that each one of us taking our trikes in to separate dealers isn't going to attract attention. Everyone that has a trike needs to know about this. It's unsafe and someone is going to get hurt or killed.

This coming Monday, since this dealer has agreed to fix mine, I'm going to ask them to bump this up to the mothership. They already have the pictures that other members here sent me. The other members can rest assured that their name or any kind of reference beyond the pictures is given to anyone involved. I was going to try and phone home myself but I am having a hard time finding someone who gives a damn. I get someone and they say wrong person and I get transferred some to someone else.

I don't work so this is going to become a campaign for me to both raise awareness to other owners and to continue the effort to see that it doesn't just slip through the cracks. I was on a charity ride today and told two owners about it. They are both going to look and take pictures if something is wrong and send them to me.

So please, if you have the time to help out, send me anything you feel is relevant to this. Our lives are all busy so if you don't have time please don't push off something else to do this.

Like I said above if my bike does get fixed I am not going away. I'm going to do my best to get the mothersip involved.

The following users liked this post:
hardheaded (06-17-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 10:38 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

i just went out and checked my motor mounts and they still look good. i was thinking with this swingarm bushing problem if that could be the cause of the high failure rate of the top motor mount ? i'm talking abbout the dog bone mount that goes from the left side of the frame to a bracket that then bolts to the front head. these has been known to break the bolt at the frame or in the front head. with the swingarm running loose in the frame i could see where it could put undue stress on the front bracket and bolts. this problem may go far beyond just replaceing parts. i'm thinking this is a design defect for sure.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:55 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

16 Tri, 10,000 miles & no issues with swing arm. Pulled caps off & nuts are centered & clean.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i just went out and checked my motor mounts and they still look good. i was thinking with this swingarm bushing problem if that could be the cause of the high failure rate of the top motor mount ? i'm talking abbout the dog bone mount that goes from the left side of the frame to a bracket that then bolts to the front head. these has been known to break the bolt at the frame or in the front head. with the swingarm running loose in the frame i could see where it could put undue stress on the front bracket and bolts. this problem may go far beyond just replaceing parts. i'm thinking this is a design defect for sure.
One has Nothing with the other...My bushing's are fine...43 thousand miles [11T/G].. And i had the top motor mounts loosen and once sheared off a bolt...
Simple fix...I spun the broken bolt out by taping on it with a hammer and chisel
counter clockwise and it spun out...Then i 86th the Harley bolts and used #8 fully treaded bolts with 268 STICK Loc-Tite....10 thousand miles and still tight..
Blaming one for the other is a disservice to the real problem..

Old 06-19-2017, 12:34 PM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

This is what I call “Paralysis through Analysis”. Bad swingarm, rear fork bushings or whatever you want to call them. Lately, everywhere I go on-line I see not one, but many post about this. Seems all by same person, different post titles. If something needs fixed, either fix it or have someone else fix it. Looking here, there and everywhere for a reason why something went wrong and not even knowing if something is wrong gets you nowhere. If you are sure these need replaced, tell the dealer to order what is needed while you wait for the appointment. And yes, you will have to pay for them till it is decided if they need replaced by them as well as if it is covered under whatever warranty you have. But at least the parts will be there when you show up with the bike.
I do not believe that this is a major issue for all TG owners, if it is, we will find out at some time. But I have not heard of this as a major problem to date from any source.
Either that or everybody that owns one of these TGs has an unstable,uncontrollable three wheeled toaster oven that is looking for a place to crash, burn up and die.
I have over 60K on my 2011 and have had my share of issues with it, but it is repaired and life goes on. Glad mine was built on a Sunday, runs fine and I love it, warts and all.

The following 4 users liked this post by iaff84:
neon65 (06-19-2017), Oogie Wa Wa (06-19-2017), rhino 2 (06-19-2017), TheBobs (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 01:46 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

i just had a dealer look at my trike this morning and they said it being off center is fine. the right side is centered and no debris under the cap. the tech explained how the bushing are installed and work, nothing i didn't already know. i'm going to let another dealer look at it tomorow and we'll see what they have to say. off center is not as alarming as all the pieces of rubber floating around in there. i think i will clean it out real good and see if comes back after a 100 or so miles.
there is more than me concerned about this issue and if you don't have a warrenty this would be pricy to say the least. one more thing all the posts about this are from several different people not just me. you don't have to click on any of these threads if you don't want to read them.

Last edited by hardheaded; 06-19-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:10 PM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by iaff84; 06-19-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: swing arm bushings !