Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2017 tri glide excessive heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:37 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Hey Grumpy, I highly recommend another addition to your setup that is relatively cheap and certainly easy to add. Get some Cooling Deflector Wings from DK. These things really push air down over the engine and away from the rider and passenger. They won't cool down your pipes, but they made the ride more comfortable for me.
Just a thought.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (07-30-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LS Bob
Hey Grumpy, I highly recommend another addition to your setup that is relatively cheap and certainly easy to add. Get some Cooling Deflector Wings from DK. These things really push air down over the engine and away from the rider and passenger. They won't cool down your pipes, but they made the ride more comfortable for me.
Just a thought.
+1 on the Cooling Deflector wings. Them, combined with a tank lift increase the flow of air to the engine and also reduce buffeting.
However, they won't drop the temperature of the exhaust and unfortunately, if I'm not mistaken, the options for reducing heat on 2017 bikes are more limited than for earlier models.
For example, I don't believe you can decat 2017 headers, the way we can do it on pre-2017 models. Am I correct?
Decatting my 2013 headers dramatically reduced the heat of the exhaust around my right foot to the point that even my SO noticed it right away. She doesn't complain about heat anymore.

DK Custom (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 05:15 AM
harrisdgja
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We ride our 2012 air-cooled Trike in South Texas and heat was a problem for us as well. I just installed the Love Jugs fans with the Frame Mount kit and can say they do work. I don't use them in the mornings when it is cooler as I drive to work etc. but once the sun is up, I turn them on. The air and road surface heat is still noticeable but I don't feel the engine heat like I used to. Not a cheap solution but it works.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:32 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I must be one of the lucky ones here as I have no heat issues at all on my 2017 Tri, Although a do have the foot board ext.

DK Custom (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 04:21 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

I have less heat with my 17 stock with DK's floor board extenders,Then i had with my cat-less 11

[You'll be surprised how much difference one inch makes]

DK Custom (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 05:16 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino 2
I have less heat with my 17 stock with DK's floor board extenders,Then i had with my cat-less 11

[You'll be surprised how much difference one inch makes]

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Fearless (old nickname) (07-31-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 09:23 AM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tall man seat

I am 6'6" and have had two different Mustang seats. They sit you back i think 1.75 inches. Doesnt sound like a lot but when you are my size it is. I just logged 257 miles on my trike and yes i transferred my old ultra mustang seat to it. I tend to ride with my feet on the pegs and thought it was my imagination that my butt was getting warm. Warm i can handle, chapped i cant. I am strongly considering the lift kit but due to my age i may let the dealership put them on. Hopefully this will help in the handling.

Definitely a learning curve when riding the trike, still not sure i made the right decision, but it is what it is and i may be stuck with it.

Last edited by COWBOY1296; 08-20-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:02 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Cowboy, got to say leaning thru the twisties is fun but the comfort and stability of my TG for me is a no brainer. I had a Sportie with a DFT kit before so I had a short learning curve, but I have learned I can do just about anything on the TG I could with my bike. Hang in there take your time. Another benefit my Missus is more relaxed and rides with me more.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

My wife has burns on here right leg from the heat. I've decatted the head pipe, added slip on's and spaced out the floor boards but it hasn't helped much. Her problem is she is so short there isn't much room to move her leg away from that rear pipe. I'm getting ready to order the ceramic coated head pipe from Rush to see how much help that is. between the ceramic coating inside and out and the different route it takes out of the rear pipe I'm hoping it helps.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:58 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
My wife has burns on here right leg from the heat. I've decatted the head pipe, added slip on's and spaced out the floor boards but it hasn't helped much. Her problem is she is so short there isn't much room to move her leg away from that rear pipe. I'm getting ready to order the ceramic coated head pipe from Rush to see how much help that is. between the ceramic coating inside and out and the different route it takes out of the rear pipe I'm hoping it helps.
Here is a Report on heat with the Twin Cams and M8's. You may find it useful. Rather than covering up/shielding the heat, reducing the source of the heat is what we focus on.

LINK to Report.

Kevin

Quick Reply: 2017 tri glide excessive heat