Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2017 tri glide excessive heat

Old 08-31-2017, 12:08 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Here is a Report on heat with the Twin Cams and M8's. You may find it useful. Rather than covering up/shielding the heat, reducing the source of the heat is what we focus on.

LINK to Report.

Kevin
Actually Kevin I have read that and agree with most of it. I intend to do the tank lift and the wings in addition to the rush pipe. You'll see an order from me soon

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Guy Lipsky
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Excessive heat

Originally Posted by Grumpy7760
Thank you

most of the heat seems to be around my lower calf and ankle area. I've read I could get some floor board extenders that will help pull my legs out a little to help
Being a 2017 you should be able to set the rear cylinder to turn off while sitting in traffic mine is a 2017 Road glide and if you push the right signal switch on the side closer to the display it will come up with the settings should say enable or disable to to activate turn throttle twice backing off and hold this will change the settings, it does help here in Florida, personally I don't like it , bike doesn't seem to want to take off when activated

Old 09-09-2017, 07:31 PM
cloud9
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok everyone, why is this acceptable? This isn't a cosmetic change or a customization, this is a necessity! Am I being unreasonable to think that a $30,000 MOTORCYCLE should be perfect? I am not cheap, I just have a much higher expectation from a manufacturer.

Someone please help me on this because this type of BS is really getting to me.

And all the warranty BS is a whole nother story.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:38 PM
tacojunkie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a decatted head pipe and it cut the heat in half. I think thar was the best option for me. I don't even think about the heat anymore.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:43 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9
Ok everyone, why is this acceptable? This isn't a cosmetic change or a customization, this is a necessity! Am I being unreasonable to think that a $30,000 MOTORCYCLE should be perfect? I am not cheap, I just have a much higher expectation from a manufacturer.

Someone please help me on this because this type of BS is really getting to me.

And all the warranty BS is a whole nother story.
I don't know about perfect, but, yes, the Twin Cam has had some serious challenges, even more since 2007. Which is one of the reasons they went to the M8 in '17 on the Touring models. Then the M8 also has some challenges in 2017, and you'll notice on the 2018 Softails with the M8 that HD made 3 big changes to help the engine not run too hot for it's own good-

1. BIG oil cooler
2. Tank lifted to not trap heat, and also better air flow over the engine
3. Coil relocated to not block air circulation around the rear cylinder

All 3 of those things are items we've been recommending for years to help the heat, as seen in this REPORT.

Originally Posted by tacojunkie
I went with a decatted head pipe and it cut the heat in half. I think thar was the best option for me. I don't even think about the heat anymore.
Yes, getting rid of the cat will get rid of a lot of the exhaust heat felt by the rider and passenger. It has no significant effect on the heat actually in the engine, which may not bother the rider, but it does bother the engine. Check out our latest report on little know/long ignored Performance mods at this LINK.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-11-2017, 01:03 PM
cloud9
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Atleast I am not alone. This is a serious issue that I have with HD. I can see how they are screwing me, the loyal customer, at every turn.

For instance, imagine if Ford sold one F150 model and then you had to buy a Lariat or King Ranch or Platinum "kit" after taking delivery. The installation was on your dime ofcourse at holy **** an hour, rate. Why doesn't HD see that it is obviously better for everyone if they sold Screamin Eagle models built in the factory? Perfect, everytime with warranty.

I used to buy a new bike every 2 or 3 years begining in '95. That all stopped in 2008 and will not continue until HD stops trying to screw me and realizes that they are now BEHIND the competition. My loyalty only goes so far.

They offer a product that has been outdated for years at a very premium price, reliability is very questionable and they are conniving bastards too?

Good luck HD, you'll need it.

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I don't know about perfect, but, yes, the Twin Cam has had some serious challenges, even more since 2007. Which is one of the reasons they went to the M8 in '17 on the Touring models. Then the M8 also has some challenges in 2017, and you'll notice on the 2018 Softails with the M8 that HD made 3 big changes to help the engine not run too hot for it's own good-

1. BIG oil cooler
2. Tank lifted to not trap heat, and also better air flow over the engine
3. Coil relocated to not block air circulation around the rear cylinder

All 3 of those things are items we've been recommending for years to help the heat, as seen in this REPORT.

Yes, getting rid of the cat will get rid of a lot of the exhaust heat felt by the rider and passenger. It has no significant effect on the heat actually in the engine, which may not bother the rider, but it does bother the engine. Check out our latest report on little know/long ignored Performance mods at this LINK.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
My wife has burns on here right leg from the heat. I've decatted the head pipe, added slip on's and spaced out the floor boards but it hasn't helped much. Her problem is she is so short there isn't much room to move her leg away from that rear pipe. I'm getting ready to order the ceramic coated head pipe from Rush to see how much help that is. between the ceramic coating inside and out and the different route it takes out of the rear pipe I'm hoping it helps.
If your wife is short, these might help out a lot in getting her feet up,higher. https://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-mo...n-flh-flt.html

Old 09-11-2017, 08:28 PM
sweet johnnie
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

watch the oil bud oil cooler video's on youtube....it does what they claim,35* degree oil temp drop,if you ride all stop and go traffic it still creeps up until you start moving....runs 180*-195* oil temp otherwise all day long on trips, 11 flhxxx if you buy it thru ebay you got 60 days to return it if you don't like it....they're not getting mine back my wife would disown me.......it works......

Old 09-12-2017, 01:34 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9
Atleast I am not alone. This is a serious issue that I have with HD. I can see how they are screwing me, the loyal customer, at every turn.

For instance, imagine if Ford sold one F150 model and then you had to buy a Lariat or King Ranch or Platinum "kit" after taking delivery. The installation was on your dime ofcourse at holy **** an hour, rate. Why doesn't HD see that it is obviously better for everyone if they sold Screamin Eagle models built in the factory? Perfect, everytime with warranty.

I used to buy a new bike every 2 or 3 years begining in '95. That all stopped in 2008 and will not continue until HD stops trying to screw me and realizes that they are now BEHIND the competition. My loyalty only goes so far.

They offer a product that has been outdated for years at a very premium price, reliability is very questionable and they are conniving bastards too?

Good luck HD, you'll need it.
You are of course referring to the fact that everyone would like all the same items on their vehicles ? Or would you rather start out with a "not completely blank" sheet of a vehicle? Either motorcycle or cage. And change things that you want from there.
There are many who purchase the Tri Glide who have no problem with the heat or any other part on the machine. Why would someone want to purchase all that Harley has in the store that they don't even want ???
I don't care what you purchase, it will sooner or later get things changed to the owners liking.
What I do agree with is the problems found in the field should be taken seriously! Harley tends to put any big changes off for years. All the while denying anything has ever been said about a problem.
You should also be able to special order anything you want or don't want on these motorcycles. That including any engine, paint scheme, wheels, chrome, no chrome, (ready for that "rattle can" paint) Harley sells. Done at the factory, not at the dealership.
There are many many Harley owners that don't want any modern changes done to the old school models they love so much.
But the bottom line is, you can't put out one model that will fit everyone's budget nor liking !

Last edited by sloufoot; 09-12-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:47 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet johnnie
watch the oil bud oil cooler video's on youtube....it does what they claim,35* degree oil temp drop,if you ride all stop and go traffic it still creeps up until you start moving....runs 180*-195* oil temp otherwise all day long on trips, 11 flhxxx if you buy it thru ebay you got 60 days to return it if you don't like it....they're not getting mine back my wife would disown me.......it works......
The oil bud works for the Freewheeler...35* is respectable...and I know why your wife is happy!

It does NOT work well on the Twin-Cooled Tri-Glides. The water pumps blocks the air from hitting the cooler. I tried, even used air scoops that I made for it, it just does not get enough air flow.

After trying for a year to get it to work, that is when we developed the Dual-Cool, which works very well with all Twin-Cooled models.

Kevin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 tri glide excessive heat