Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2017 tri glide excessive heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:50 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
You are of course referring to the fact that everyone would like all the same items on their vehicles ? Or would you rather start out with a "not completely blank" sheet of a vehicle? Either motorcycle or cage. And change things that you want from there.
There are many who purchase the Tri Glide who have no problem with the heat or any other part on the machine. Why would someone want to purchase all that Harley has in the store that they don't even want ???
I don't care what you purchase, it will sooner or later get things changed to the owners liking.
What I do agree with is the problems found in the field should be taken seriously! Harley tends to put any big changes off for years. All the while denying anything has ever been said about a problem.
You should also be able to special order anything you want or don't want on these motorcycles. That including any engine, paint scheme, wheels, chrome, no chrome, (ready for that "rattle can" paint) Harley sells. Done at the factory, not at the dealership.
There are many many Harley owners that don't want any modern changes done to the old school models they love so much.
But the bottom line is, you can't put out one model that will fit everyone's budget nor liking !

Well said!

No matter how it comes from the factory....

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-12-2017, 01:53 PM
sweet johnnie
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

too bad they messed that up too since their water cooled systems don't help much....

Old 09-12-2017, 10:28 PM
cloud9
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What i meant was that if I am buying a bike and already plan to upgrade to screamin eagle, for instance I should be able to buy it factory direct, not buy a bike then have to have it rebuilt. Or if I dont want a stock seat then have me order the seat i want at the factory. HD really needs to modernize their sales or they will continue to lose business. They have gone from not being able to keep inventory to being dead last in the market. They need to change business models whether they like or not.

Porsche has many options and have been able to make this work, logistically.

Originally Posted by sloufoot
You are of course referring to the fact that everyone would like all the same items on their vehicles ? Or would you rather start out with a "not completely blank" sheet of a vehicle? Either motorcycle or cage. And change things that you want from there.
There are many who purchase the Tri Glide who have no problem with the heat or any other part on the machine. Why would someone want to purchase all that Harley has in the store that they don't even want ???
I don't care what you purchase, it will sooner or later get things changed to the owners liking.
What I do agree with is the problems found in the field should be taken seriously! Harley tends to put any big changes off for years. All the while denying anything has ever been said about a problem.
You should also be able to special order anything you want or don't want on these motorcycles. That including any engine, paint scheme, wheels, chrome, no chrome, (ready for that "rattle can" paint) Harley sells. Done at the factory, not at the dealership.
There are many many Harley owners that don't want any modern changes done to the old school models they love so much.
But the bottom line is, you can't put out one model that will fit everyone's budget nor liking !

Old 09-12-2017, 11:12 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9
What i meant was that if I am buying a bike and already plan to upgrade to screamin eagle, for instance I should be able to buy it factory direct, not buy a bike then have to have it rebuilt. Or if I dont want a stock seat then have me order the seat i want at the factory. HD really needs to modernize their sales or they will continue to lose business. They have gone from not being able to keep inventory to being dead last in the market. They need to change business models whether they like or not.

Porsche has many options and have been able to make this work, logistically.
I totally agree with that. It could save a lot of money for the buyer. But loose money for MOCO. If they sell a one model, then all the after purchase parts are all profit.
Another thing , do you realize how many Harleys are sold just because someone just can't walk away from that bike sitting on the floor that the customer can sit on & grab the grips ??
I don't know of any of the motorcycle dealers of any make that will do an order per customer.
And as far as advancement of the design, Harley had a water cooled engine that was all but on the market in 1981 just before they took the company back from AMF. It never went into production because ***** was listening to Harley lovers. So Harley has tested the waters before.
The EPA is doing more to change the motorcycle industry than most companies.
Harley had a big fight with the people at Baker, so that put a hammer on using another nice drivetrain. Much much behind the scenes that no one ever sees.
Keep in mind also the market is being aimed at the younger up-coming riders. Us old farts will have to keep our old iron & just keep our own upgrades going.

Last edited by sloufoot; 09-12-2017 at 11:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (09-13-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I think what we all want is unachevable...a cool running trike that looks as sweet as a Panhead and sounds like it too. We're sitting on top of the engine that makes heat! Pipes running beneath us that is hot! Only thing I can think of is putting the engine in the rear away from us, but that would look ugly!
EPA compliance, wrapped in body work, big fenders makes a hot motorcycle...even the Goldwing gets hot, I've owned four of them converted to trikes...sit in traffic and watch the temp gauge climb...
I guess we can only do what we can....I'm sure Harley would love to build a trike that runs better and cooler, but to stay within the guidelines of the government this isn't fisable

Old 09-14-2017, 05:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet johnnie
too bad they messed that up too since their water cooled systems don't help much....
The Twin Cooled are a mixed bag. A couple of excerpts from this REPORT

Unique to the Twin-Cooled (air-cooled/liquid-cooled hybrid), also know as

waterheads or wetheads:

The basics are the same on the Twin-Cooled as the Air-Cooled & Oil-Cooled, with the addition of the following:

They have higher compression, which creates more heat.
They Have slightly "hotter cams" which create more heat.
The water pump is in the location where Harley normally puts the oil cooler, resulting in NO oil cooler. So the oil and all portions of the engine, except for the liquid cooled heads, are even Hotter on the Twin-Cooled engines than the air-cooled.

Bottom line is the TC & M8 Twin-Cooled has Twin Problems

While the heads are cooler, the rest of the engine is hotter.
The oil gets hotter with no oil cooler to dissipate the heat.

But there are solutions for the wetheads, just like the air-cooled.

On Air Cooled Twin Cams & M8's, if all, or most, of the above are used, the ideal balance of having the same oil and engine temperature of no more than 230* after 45 minutes of riding on a warm day at highway speed is achievable.

On Twin-Cooled Twin Cams & M8's it is a bit different. The heads will always be cooler, the oil and rest of the engine will always be warmer. By using all, or most of the above, the engine temperature should easily stay Below 230*, closer to 210-220 on a warm day. The oil temperature, and the rest of the engine is likely to be between 230-240* on a hot day after 45 minutes of highway speed travel. This is ok. It still allows for a spike in extreme conditions, while keeping the temperature below the 270* mark, which is where sluggishness in power starts being noticed, and where higher than normal wear on engine components begins occurring.

Kevin

Old 09-21-2017, 03:35 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy7760
Hello all im new here
i just purchased a new 2017 tri glide ultra. Went from a 2007 roadking classic .

I notice that there is a lot of heat coming off the right side of the motor. Is this normal .

Also im 6 ft and have a big fram is there a seat out there that will make so i sit back a little more so my nuts are not getting crushed on the gas tank
Sounds like we are neighbors. Just got my Trike in beginning of August. Did notice the heat on the right side. Of course, there is that fan that is supposed to pull the heat away and flush it out the back - somewhere.

The biggest thing for me was to get the faring flaps positioned correctly. I played with them and it is hardly an issue now. Of course, that doesn't stop the heat sitting idle but I use the ETMS thing for that.

These M-8's just run plain hot.

The following users liked this post:
Oogie Wa Wa (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

If you don't like heat...buy a Goldwing.. I put the cooler and filter relo kit from DK on my '15. It made a huge difference.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gitarded:
DK Custom (09-21-2017), SpringerRider (09-22-2017)