Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Backing Freewheeler up ramp

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:00 PM
kblhd
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

The reason for wanting to back the Freewheeler in is so that the bikes would be front wheel to front wheel. Trying to put a StreetGlide and a Freewheeler in a trailer is a challenge unless you go extra wide or extra long.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:04 PM
jayd65
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"
Principles of basic operation. 83388-09A
The Harley Davidson Tri Glide Reverse motor is basically an automotive starter with a specially developed drive end assembly that contains 2 planetary gear assemblies. Planetary gears have been used by many different manufactures over the years as a reliable method to convert high speed electric motors into usable torque. In this case, HD has used the twin planetary set up to provide a handy low speed motor with plenty of power to move an entire vehicle (in reverse) with passengers.
When you put the bike in reverse, an electrical current is applied to the pull in coils of the heavy duty solenoid relay mounted on top of the motor. As the plunger (being pulled laterally by the coils) moves towards the solenoid contacts, it simultaneously from designed leverage pushes the roller clutch assembly with gear into the reverse flywheel. Then, when the copper contacts in the solenoid cap mate, the connection is made from the battery power source to the motor itself.
The result is a smooth, slow moving back up performance with plenty of power to move the entire vehicle with passengers on level ground (not uphill or ramps). As trikes become older, and batteries age with more and more use or storage time, we recommend a back-up interval of less than 15 seconds for optimum performance and life expectancy of batteries and electric motors."

probably what made me think it was the starter, thanks for keeping me straight.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:43 PM
DaytonaMark
Advanced

we load the wife's freewheeler and my ultra limited in a 7x14 V-nose trailer with no issues, backed the trike in off to one side and put the ultra in on the opposite side using condor chuck and tying both bikes down. works great and plenty of room.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

This, wenty bucks through WalMart.com We'll be hauling our tri glide in a 10x7 V nose, once I get it, and I plan on using one of those to get it in there instead of charging up and in under power and playing Evil Knievil most of the time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Oogie Wa Wa:
5wheels (08-14-2017), Clint44 (07-28-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by jayd65
"
Principles of basic operation. 83388-09A
The Harley Davidson Tri Glide Reverse motor is basically an automotive starter with a specially developed drive end assembly that contains 2 planetary gear assemblies. Planetary gears have been used by many different manufactures over the years as a reliable method to convert high speed electric motors into usable torque. In this case, HD has used the twin planetary set up to provide a handy low speed motor with plenty of power to move an entire vehicle (in reverse) with passengers.
When you put the bike in reverse, an electrical current is applied to the pull in coils of the heavy duty solenoid relay mounted on top of the motor. As the plunger (being pulled laterally by the coils) moves towards the solenoid contacts, it simultaneously from designed leverage pushes the roller clutch assembly with gear into the reverse flywheel. Then, when the copper contacts in the solenoid cap mate, the connection is made from the battery power source to the motor itself.
The result is a smooth, slow moving back up performance with plenty of power to move the entire vehicle with passengers on level ground (not uphill or ramps). As trikes become older, and batteries age with more and more use or storage time, we recommend a back-up interval of less than 15 seconds for optimum performance and life expectancy of batteries and electric motors."

probably what made me think it was the starter, thanks for keeping me straight.
Kinda sounds just like a high torque Mopar gear reduction starter don't it ???
But then I guess you aren't supposed to compare car parts to motorcycle parts......... LOL !

Last edited by sloufoot; 07-26-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:02 PM
kblhd
Road Captain

DaytonaMark,
Are you using the Freewheeler reverse motor to go up the ramp?

Old 08-09-2017, 09:31 PM
DaytonaMark
Advanced

I am, little slow, but I'm also about 3 bills

Old 08-09-2017, 09:57 PM
kblhd
Road Captain

3 bills?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:49 AM
DaytonaMark