Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Backing Freewheeler up ramp

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:43 PM
kblhd
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Backing Freewheeler up ramp

Has anyone backed a Freewheeler up an enclosed trailer ramp. Wondering if it has the power to do it. Looking for enclosed trailers to tow my StreetGlide and the wife's Freewheeler. Thinking about a 8 X12 backing the Freewheeler in then putting the StreetGlide in.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:55 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The "reverse" on the Harley Trikes is a backing assist. IF the ramp isn't too steep, and depending on the weight of the 'backer' you may not have a problem

BUT

Why not drive the trike in forward, and let gravity back you out. Load the 2 wheeler first

OR

you can use a come along to pull the trike in backwards

Old 07-16-2017, 05:47 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

If you are going to use the trailer a lot, I would look at a light duty winch to pull the Freewheeler in. As Screwball said, the reverse is really an assist and not too heavy duty

The following users liked this post:
RedOregon (07-24-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 06:22 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by bronxbill
If you are going to use the trailer a lot, I would look at a light duty winch to pull the Freewheeler in. As Screwball said, the reverse is really an assist and not too heavy duty
I agree with Screwball and Bronxbill. the reverse is just a aid I still tend to park uphill and just use the reverse when necessary. Still push it out the garage. I have seen on here that those motors just have so many back ups on them. I would put the bike up first or have the trailer on a down hill.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:42 PM
kblhd
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

I like the idea of parking the trailer downhill. Trying to keep the trailer as small as possible and under 5000# loaded.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:26 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I simply load any bike into the Van/enclosed trailer with a $60 2,500 lb capacity HF 12 volt winch. Easy peasey. Just sit on it and push the remote fob. Great with the garden tractor also.

In a trailer (two wheel) 60% of the load needs to be ahead of the axle line. 70% in a dual axle. Might be best to put the trike in first. The trike fits the Forest River 6'X12' enclosed trailer quite well.

If the load is too far to the back the trailer will weave side to side like an old Harley in a death wobble. Especially down hill and/or braking. Not fun at all.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-16-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:33 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by 5wheels
I agree with Screwball and Bronxbill. the reverse is just a aid I still tend to park uphill and just use the reverse when necessary. Still push it out the garage. I have seen on here that those motors just have so many back ups on them. I would put the bike up first or have the trailer on a down hill.
Ya this.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 AM
jayd65
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Freewheeler Backup

Originally Posted by kblhd
Has anyone backed a Freewheeler up an enclosed trailer ramp. Wondering if it has the power to do it. Looking for enclosed trailers to tow my StreetGlide and the wife's Freewheeler. Thinking about a 8 X12 backing the Freewheeler in then putting the StreetGlide in.

I have not tried it personally but since your reverse is the starter motor, and with the shear amount of torque you can put out with these DC motors I would be shocked if it could not.

That said, why put the wear and tear on the starter, I second the drive it in forward, and let gravity roll you out if you can.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:24 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jayd65
I have not tried it personally but since your reverse is the starter motor, and with the shear amount of torque you can put out with these DC motors I would be shocked if it could not.

That said, why put the wear and tear on the starter, I second the drive it in forward, and let gravity roll you out if you can.
The Reverse motor is not a starter motor, Its a separate low RPM high toque [Hitachi] motor..... And a feeble one at that.......

Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 AM
jayd65
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhino 2
The Reverse motor is not a starter motor, Its a separate low RPM high toque [Hitachi] motor..... And a feeble one at that.......

Just going off of what the Harley manual for my 2015 said, or at least what my feeble mind read whatever the voices in my head tell me at the moment

Quick Reply: Backing Freewheeler up ramp