Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

DK Customs New 14' Rear Shock

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 11:58 AM
wengerda
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I sm not mechanical incline, I will wait for my Harley mechanic slows down in Summer, to installed the front forks springs. The work is like 4 hours for the front installation.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by wengerda
I purchased this new rear shocks and the only thing I can saw Wow! The difference is day and night. The shocks are not cheap but they are worth it. I am planning to purchase the front forks upgrade for a winter project. With the rear shocks in my opinion you get a 75% better ride. You wont regret it buying this shocks.
Dan, good to hear you got these installed and are enjoying the new ride quality!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-20-2017, 09:51 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by NHBAGGER
Seems odd that a 14" shock would still need another 1" of lift?
With the 14" Trike Series Shocks™ there is no lift kit needed at all. You can install them and have the better ride quality And a net 1" lift at the shocks, and about 1 1/4" higher at the tail pipes.

We do make a Special 14" Convertible Comfort Life™ that does two things-

It can be set to lift the back an additional 3/16". So with the 14" shocks the net height increase is 1 3/16" at the shocks and 1.5" at the tail pipes

It can also be set to DROP the shock 3/16", so the net lift with the 14" shocks is 13/16" at the shocks. This is for some of the 2017 models that have clearance issues with big weld beads on the exhaust.

BOTH settings also cantilever the shock a little to improve the ride quality.

Full details can be seen HERE.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I have the "1.25-2" lift kit from Triglide Stuff and Progressive 13" (standard length) shocks. The rear is high enough for me, for example, the bottom of my V&H mufflers is now 6" above ground which is plenty of clearance.
I don't know how high the rear of your trike is with the lift kit and 14" shocks but I didn't feel the need to install longer shocks.

Like you said, the ride is much improved.
At the following link is a Full (updated) Rear Shock report with charts and a ton of info, comparing many popular shocks in the real world setting. REPORT LINK

I am not sure if 13' or 14' makes a big difference. The key is we have an improved ride from the stock rear shocks.
Absolutely, Improved ride is what is important. The 14" TSS gives extra travel, above what a 13" shock can, and that is a significant factor in improved ride quality.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:09 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

Absolutely, Improved ride is what is important. The 14" TSS gives extra travel, above what a 13" shock can, and that is a significant factor in improved ride quality.
Wouldn't the travel of the shock depend on how much pre-load is set and if they have regular or heavy duty springs?

Old 07-20-2017, 06:05 PM
wengerda
Cruiser

Yes the travel of the shock depends on how much pre-load, when I ordered the rear shock from DK Custom, they asked my style of riding and they setted the shocks for my ride style. I am happy with their settings. I rode 2 up and my wife noticed the changes right away. You always can change the pre-load they set for you if necessary.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:59 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Wouldn't the travel of the shock depend on how much pre-load is set and if they have regular or heavy duty springs?
Pre-load is mainly to set sag. Let's say a 13" shock has a maximum travel of 3". The weight of the spring does not change that. Sag should be set so that .45-.75" of that three inches of travel is eaten up when the rider sits on the bike.

The pre-load is what controls the sag...if you increase the pre-load there is less sag. But you do not want to have less than 15%, or more than 25% sag, or your handling will suffer.

That leave 2.25-2.55 inches of available travel.

Take a 14" shock that has 4 inches of travel, but again you set the sag at 15-25%, which is .6" to 1".

That leaves 3.0-3.4" of available travel. Which is significantly better than 2.25-2.55 of travel.

If the spring rate is right on both the 13" shocks and the 14" shocks, and the compression and rebound damping is right on both, then the one with more travel is going to be a much better ride quality.

The above is a bit of an over-simplification, but the more travel (everything else being equal) the better, and travel is not dependent on spring weight or proper pre-load/sag setting, it is dependent on how much the shock can move up and down, which is more on a 14" TSS than any 13" PS shock.

There is a lot more good info in this REPORT on the subject.

The following users liked this post:
frenchbiker (07-23-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 PM
wengerda
Cruiser

Well I am happy with the rear shocks I purchased from DK Custom and I recommend them.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (07-21-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 01:10 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Well I am happy with the rear shocks I purchased from DK Custom and I recommend them.
That's what's important!

Kevin

Old 08-06-2017, 11:14 AM
ogt591
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2015 Tri Glide Ultra and looking to improve the ride. Seeing this thread is encouraging with the positive comments. I assume the shocks be being referred to are the coil over spring shocks from DC customs correct and doing away with the air suspension?

Quick Reply: DK Customs New 14' Rear Shock