Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

body not level on 2017 tri glide ultra

Old 09-11-2017, 06:27 AM
gvallanc
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue on my 2017 Tri Glide. Dealer contacted the Harley plant. They wan the dealer to take my bike in and take a bunch of measurements. Harley says they will determine what to do after dealer completes measurements.
My bike is 3/4 of an inch higher on the right than the left.

Not sure what to do. Dealer is 2 hours away and needs it for 2 hours, shoots a hole in the day to say the least.

I am concerned that the fix may be worse that leaving things be.
?????????????????

Last edited by gvallanc; 09-12-2017 at 06:27 AM. Reason: wrong model year
Old 09-11-2017, 07:48 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by gvallanc
I have the same issue on my 2018 Tri Glide. Dealer contacted the Harley plant. They wan the dealer to take my bike in and take a bunch of measurements. Harley says they will determine what to do after dealer completes measurements.

Not sure what to do. Dealer is 2 hours away and needs it for 2 hours, shoots a hole in the day to say the least.

?????????????????
Had that on my 11 Tri-Glide, Dealer fixed it while i waited, I didn't have an appointment., I happened to be at the dealer and mentioned it to him, And they fixed it while i waited, About an hour and 4 bolts that had to be adjusted... It should be no surprise to Harley this is very common though all years with the Tri-Glide...

Old 09-11-2017, 12:23 PM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same issue on my 2018 Tri Glide. Dealer contacted the Harley plant. They wan the dealer to take my bike in and take a bunch of measurements. Harley says they will determine what to do after dealer completes measurements.

?????????????????
Interesting, so the 18's have the same lopsided issue as the 17's.
I would hope you would persue this with HD, it may be the only way to get them to step up & correct this known problem on the 2017 & now 2018's.
This is not the same problem of earlier models that was easly corrected by loosening the 4 bolts & readjusting the trunk body I've been told.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:39 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

My '16 is about 5/8" higher on the right side. Dealer said that according to the Moco, it is with in spec. So I am just riding it and with almost 15k on it now, I don't even think about it. At least it fits with the road camber we have around here. If / when I have to take the body off for anything, I will have it adjusted then.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:39 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

When making the "adjustments" to make the body level, be sure the frame doesn't need adjusting before you start putting spacers under the body and just hide the real problem !
This problem has been around ever since the TriGlide has been built ! And they will tell you it is the first time they have ever heard of a problem !

Last edited by sloufoot; 09-11-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 AM
gvallanc
Intermediate
Default 2017 Triglide body not level

Has anyone been successful in get their tri-glide fixed?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:18 PM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't heard of any fixes yet but if anyone has I wish they would share the fix with the rest of us that has that problem with our 2017's.
Is this also on some of the 2018's too?

Old 11-07-2017, 05:38 AM
gvallanc
Intermediate

Does anyone know if a lift kit would fix the issue of body not being level?

Old 11-07-2017, 09:34 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't see how it would?.....The problem is that the body is mounted to the frame a little off - kilter... A lift kit won't change that..

Old 11-07-2017, 11:46 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Tri-Glides have had a problem with some of the bodies being mounted crooked since 2009. Up until a few years ago, returning to a knowledgeable Dealership would get it fixed under warranty.

The last couple of years, HD seems to have changed what is considered "in spec" so they do not have to pay out so much in warranty reimbursement to the dealerships for getting the body straight.

I have always seen the body being straightened out by loosening the 6 bolts and shimming the body on the frame.

However, there have been reports in the recent couple of years that there is some other problem that can't be resolved by shimming the body on the frame. BUT...I have never gotten any details on what that is.

Of course, if the frame that the body mounts on is out of square so much that shimming will not get the body straight, that is a much more serious problem...which should be resolved under warranty.

The Convertible Comfort Lift™, nor any other lift, will change an off kilter body...it lifts the frame equally on both sides...so if it is crooked, it will still be crooked, just higher.

However, a Comfort Lift™ Kit will make it steer easier, handle better, and have better clearance for the tail pipes.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: body not level on 2017 tri glide ultra