Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Direct Lift for Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Ben A
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Direct Lift for Motorcycles

I purchased a Direct lift for my motorcycle several years ago and it has been flawless. When I got my trike it was still doing ok until last week when I guess it blew a seal because I hear lots of air leaking out and it wont lift the trike at all. I know it is only rated at 1000 pounds but it was working so I ordered a seal replacement kit. I was wondering if any one had any experience removing the air cylinder and replacing the seals. Its hard to work on the trike without a lift especially when you are used to having it. thanks for any help. Ben

Old 07-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The TG is about 1220 with fuel etc. Maybe that little extra weight blew the seals. I would be careful using it with the TG once you repair it.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:37 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser

I have had one for years to work on motorcycles and garden tractors. When i put my Freewheeler on it i usually have to give it a little help to get it going. But it is not as heavy as a triglide. I have thought about converting it to a hydraulic cylinder. Did you inquire if they have a larger cylinder you could replace the original with? I also every so often put a few drops of light oil in the connecter at the foot pedal and put the peddle up high for a while to get the oil down in the line. That lube will help the cylinder a lot.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Ben A
Cruiser

I did ask about a bigger cylinder and Direct said 1,000 pounds was the biggest they had for motorcycle lifts. If some one knows of a cylinder that might work I would love to know because the table is awesome.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:39 PM
Ben A
Cruiser

I got my new seals installed put the lift back together and every thing is lovely. Seems the old seal had got brittle from age and disintegrated. I lifted the trike and replaced the front tire to get it ready for our trip coming up next month. I was worried I was going to have to pay a shop to do the tire change and I was not to happy about that. All is well so I was able to inspect the brake pads while changing the tire, they look like at least another 10,000 miles. Got 13,000 miles now so not sure what others are getting for front tire millage on a Tri Glide and how many miles the brake pads should last but I guess its all about how hard you ride that controls both. Thanks for any comments in advance.