Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Water pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Just talked to my cousin today and he says that the dealer says his problem is not the water pump after all. It's the thermostat (I assume not opening fully) after all.
They say it seems to be a more common problem on trikes than it is on comparable model of bikes?

Anyway, should be read to roll by tomorrow.

I told my cousin that if it was me, I'd buy a standby thermostat and toss it in my saddlebag!

Old 11-15-2017, 07:09 AM
rharbick
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, reading all the entries above but not getting a lot of info I haven’t got already. Have a 2016 TriGlide, still have about 6 months on the warranty. At about 900 miles on the Odometer the CE and Temp Lights came on. First visit to the dealer they couldn’t get the lights to come on when they started the Trike and couldn’t find anything wrong, but when I pulled out they relit so I pulled back in. They decided it was the Thermostat which kept the Trike in the shop for a week waiting on the part. Got the Trike back three weeks ago. Here we are about 200 miles later and started the trike yesterday to warm it up for a ride and the lights come back on within 5 minutes. I hadn’t even moved, the fans were not on and the bottle hasn’t burped at any time, and it’s full of new coolant, and the engine really isn’t even warm yet. (The only things common about all this is it’s always cool outside when they come on, and I’ve about had it with my brand new HD “Garage Queen”. Seems I’m putting the most miles on it riding to the dealership and back as it’s a good hour’s ride to the dealer.) So now I’m gonna take it back and ask that the pump be replaced under warranty. Anyone have any other ideas what the problem could be? I really can’t think of anything else that would cause the lights to come on like that other than either a bad Thermostat or bad Coolant Pump but you could put what I know about mechanics in a teaspoon.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Oscar37
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the bike was actually running hot, I would think the fans would come on. I would bet the water pump is probably working and its not really running hot. It may be a faulty coolant temperature sensor.
Just a thought. Good luck.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:09 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

If the tech didn't bleed the system properly you could have an air lock. Just a thought. Water won't pump with air in the system.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 PM
rharbick
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, update: Had too wait until after the Thanksgiving holidays to take my Trike to Harley for the next step in the “Coolant System Saga”. They were going to try to change out the Water Pump under warranty, and I would pay for the Heat Sensors to be replaced. This would pretty much change out the last two things that we believe can be causing the constant “check Engine” and “Overheat” lights. They called me a few hours after I dropped it off. It turned out Harley would pay to change the sensors but not the pump. So, I guess we’ll change the sensors on Harley’s dime. If that doesn’t fix the problem then I’ll take I back and Harley can replace the pump on their dime too! And I still don’t even have 1400 miles on the Trike! I’ve pretty much decided if this doesn’t fix the problem I’m taking it back to the dealer I bought it at and demand my money back. I think the state’s Lemon Law would support that. I will say this - Harley Davidson of Atlanta in Lithia Springs has been great in working with me through this whole mess. I just wish I had bought my Trike from them. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met, and really want to get you back on the road and your ride fixed. I had to go through several dealerships much closer to home before I found one that didn’t treat me like a cash cow, or just leave me feeling like they wanted nothing to do with me if I wasn’t buying a new ride from them. If you’re in the Atlanta area you really need to check out HD of Atlanta in Lithia Springs. There, that’s my plug for the day.

I thought it kind of funny - Georgia wouldn’t give me a Disabled Veteran Tag cause I’m only 70% Disabled, but the Handicap Tag they sent me starts with”DV”.

What do you think of those fenders??

Much better tank badge then run of the mill HD badge.

That gets your attention doesn’t it.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:37 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Man, it would be a shame to not have that beauty to ride. Very nicely done.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:21 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

We are at 2200 miles and so far no issues on the 2017 UTG