New tri glide - Harley Davidson Forums

Tri Glide & Freewheeler Models Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Tri Glide Trike. Have at it!

New tri glide

P

Old 08-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Default New tri glide

Hi, I just got my first ride in really looking g time (high school). New tri glide ultra and now have hundred miles on it. Problem is : I was backing into my garage and the electric reverse quit while moving. I can get the R light and hear a click when I press the button but no movement. So, before calling the dealer who is closed today, I wanted to know if there is a reset or something I can do. I am a retired auto and truck mechanic so I am tool handy. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:43 PM
One Of The Regulars

There is a breaker on the right side behind the side cover below the seat. Popped it myself a few times. They don't like backing up sloped driveways very well.

And Welcome here!
Old 08-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks, I'll try it in the morning!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:02 PM
Elite HDF Member

One of my friends has an older police RK that was converted into a trike and has no reverse ad he coped with that by parking it as if it was a motorcycle (front wheel never downhill).

My cousin now as a Trike and he uses the reverse quite often, but then, it is still under warranty and will be for several more years.

Makes me wonder if H-D will ever (they should) have a mechanical reverse as opposed to using a "starter" motor.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2AMGuy View Post

Makes me wonder if H-D will ever (they should) have a mechanical reverse as opposed to using a "starter" motor.
Does HD lose sales because the reverse is not mechanical? I doubt it. IMO, they'll continue to equip the Triglide with a reverse motor. It's good enough for the majority of the owners and if someone wants to upgrade, there are several options available on the market.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

They make big money on replacement parts. There are electric motors out there that they could use on the Tri but then cut the profit down on the primary sales.
Just take a look at all the electric wheel chairs our there that run around for hundreds of miles trouble free. Some will say the trike weighs way too much, but then gear it down to pull the weight. The motor they put on these was never designed to last very long. They could at least go with a brushless motor. And yes many of these motors are 12 volt, & draw the amperage they do because they can also push the chairs around at 18-22 mph. Gear it down, use it for short intervals and last the life of the trike for a lot less money for replacement if needed !
Butt everyone will continue to buy & gripe later after they have trouble.
The other option if you insist on having an electric shifted reverse, Baker puts one out that is activated by 12 volt, then shifted in gear with the foot shifter. It is forward of 1st gear. Then use the clutch just as any other gear. Can't get in two gears at a time. Cost is around $1800. Harley & Baker had quite a little war years ago. So you most likely won't find Harley using any Baker parts. What is wrong with having one installed when you buy the Trike new??? That is hardly more than a replacement motor ........
There is another reverse out there that uses a solenoid to shift into reverse, but they also use the same weak system at the end of the shaft under the right cover. I think it is used by Motor Trike but not sure. Might be incorrect.
Yeah, I like Baker products as they have done me a great job in the past. Not saying the others won't work but .......
But just my opinion................

Last edited by sloufoot; 08-17-2017 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:49 AM
Club Member

Mechanical gear is by far the best but they have on replacement service going back time after time sad state on business. Fred

P