Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

First Trike Ride...Ever!

Old 09-07-2017, 03:57 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 334 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Unfortunately for some, they don't have the luxury of choosing two wheels over three due to their inability to still remain on two wheels.
My cousin felt that it was just a matter of time until he would no longer be able to ride a two wheeler so he opted for the trike while it was still a choice.
My riding partner couldn't finish this season out and he knows that if he rides at all next year it will have to be on a trike.
Being forced to do anything is less acceptable than choosing to do so, it's just human nature.

As for me at this time, my plan is to buy one more Harley.
Since I (we) have multiple two wheelers, IF I buy a Tri-Glide, I'll still have a two wheeler to ride so I may as well go for three wheels now.
My expieriance might not be typical, as It takes a couple hundred miles before one becomes tolerant of adding a third wheel, as for me I have no physical limitations and at 57 IMO I have at least 10 yrs of 2 wheel riding.

So why did I buy a trike to begin with, the WIFE she felt safer on It, on the way home from Sturgis I stopped at a dealer In Kentucky, she sat on a trike and said I want to go home In this one so I jumped at the opportunity, hey Its a new bike I was thinking.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:07 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by 30glock
My expieriance might not be typical, as It takes a couple hundred miles before one becomes tolerant of adding a third wheel, as for me I have no physical limitations and at 57 IMO I have at least 10 yrs of 2 wheel riding.

So why did I buy a trike to begin with, the WIFE she felt safer on It, on the way home from Sturgis I stopped at a dealer In Kentucky, she sat on a trike and said I want to go home In this one so I jumped at the opportunity, hey Its a new bike I was thinking.
I'll be 67 before next riding season and I currently don't have any limitations or reasons why I can't ride a two-wheeler, I'm just looking down the road.

My cousin tells me that when I first get a trike I need to ride my wife about 200 miles on various types of roads and then I'll be ready to ride the trike by myself.
His wife (she's actually my cousin) had to give up riding her bike due to knee issues and I think that she's trying to "help" him ride the trike by leaning and pushing him towards the fuel tank.
I convinced him to install the arm chair things for her and I also got him the info to order the tour pack relocation kit as well as the lift kit from DK Products.
Perhaps they can find their "happy place" and make the trike comfortable for the both of them!

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (09-12-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Too many bike riders have the mindset that a trike is a step down from a two wheeler. It is not. It is a lateral move. I've ridden bikes for over forty years and enjoyed them. Have ridden trikes for about ten years. Even though my health would allow me to continue to ride bikes, I enjoy our trike too much to switch back.

The following 2 users liked this post by Clint44:
5x40 (09-09-2017), Baires52 (10-05-2022)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

We love it and really enjoy taking long trips on it; I'd considered a side car for many years but the wife wouldn't have it, or at least not go along on it. Then a buddy with congestive heart failure bought a '13 anniversary model and we thought heck, let's give it a shot. We'd done trips on the R1200RT but I was afraid of dumping it with her and her new knees on it, it's rather tall, and the repair bill on those knees is really high, so we thought our days of riding were over. Nope. Went to the dealer with a new one in stock after checking out some used ones and a conversion or two, rode it about a half mile, and signed zee papers. Took about 50 miles to get used to it, 200 t be comfortable, but I'd driven quads and snow machines before.

Clint44 is right. Hey, we're trikers now, that's all, nothing else matters. Just got back from a 2311 mile trip and still lovin' it.

The following users liked this post:
Clint44 (03-14-2018)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:58 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Having ridden ATV's for many years, riding the HD Trikes was zero learning curve for me.

Mary and I now have over 100k miles on Tri-Glides. We have a blast riding on them. They are their own kind of fun...some the same as 2 wheelers, some different.

We still ride 2 wheels also, but if the time ever comes that it is only 3 wheels, we thoroughly enjoy it, and have had some epic adventures on them.

Ride to the Arctic Circle and back was a trip we probably would have never made on 2 wheels...but was great on the TG.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...er-2013-a.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default On the porch for 40 years...

Got married raised a family paid for a home retired now time to ride let bride know I wanted to ride. She knows I have a history of bodily injury she no to two wheels but would ride a trike! I told her to get in the car we are going shopping, no chance to change her mind. Long story short my honey loves riding as much as I do, best thing we ever did for ourselves back in the wind after 40 years who would have ever thought. We need to enjoy riding 2 wheels or 3 wheels. It's not what you ride it's that you do ride. travel safely Fred

The following 4 users liked this post by Fearless (old nickname):
5wheels (09-12-2017), Clint44 (03-14-2018), DK Custom (09-13-2017), Oogie Wa Wa (09-17-2017)