Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

First Trike Ride...Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:09 AM
GaryInDelta
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Trike Ride...Ever!

Durango Harley Labor Day weekend demo rides. Just had to ride a trike as I've been talking to trike owners recently. Even they had different opinions on how to ride, how "hard" it is, whether I'd like it at all (some hated theirs the first thousand miles, they said.)
Just had to see and try.
I liked riding a new 2018 Tri-Glide a lot. Very cool. Different from my '12 Streetglide, sure, but I could get hooked.
I found no problems with handling, but I'd like another few hundred miles. But the demo was only about 15 miles.
Got to try the Freewheeler next.
Could get hooked.
Already thinking of possible mods.

GaryInDelta

The following users liked this post:
wengerda (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 04:39 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I've never ridden a trike before even though I had an opportunity.

My cousin has one and my riding partner is about ready to get one soon but at this time I'm still in the "thinking about it mode" as I have two years of warranty left on my bike.

I keeping hoping that H-D will make some much needed changes to the Tri-Glide before I'm ready to buy.

In addition to a CVO option, I think they need to upgrade the rear axle to independent suspension, have optional height or adjustable handlebars, and an on-board compressor for adjusting rear shock PSI.
These items are not rocket science and they're not all that expensive as they're already available on other machines or as after-market accessories.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:08 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Gary, it is true that miles to reach a "comfort zone" varies between riders. Didn't take me long at all but others have taken longer to get comfortable riding a trike. Nothing wrong with that at all, it is just the way it is. Best way to know for sure is to rent one for a day (or two). That said, there are ways to improve the ride quality if you buy one. Good luck!

Fearless (old nickname) (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:09 PM
swaug
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest you go ride a trike with an independent rear suspension before writing off a live axle. An independent suspension is great for controlling wheel hop on hard launches in sports cars but isn't the most confidence inspiring way to go when you're rounding corners on three wheels. The weight transfer to the outside rear wheel can be scary at times with IRS. The solid axle is actually easier to ride fast and more predictable. I worked for a guy who sells Goldwing trikes and have had the opportunity to ride both setups. To me, it's no comparison. If you want to upgrade the shocks, I can see giving it a shot but that's where I would personally draw the line on altering the ride.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:57 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by swaug
I would suggest you go ride a trike with an independent rear suspension before writing off a live axle. An independent suspension is great for controlling wheel hop on hard launches in sports cars but isn't the most confidence inspiring way to go when you're rounding corners on three wheels. The weight transfer to the outside rear wheel can be scary at times with IRS. The solid axle is actually easier to ride fast and more predictable. I worked for a guy who sells Goldwing trikes and have had the opportunity to ride both setups. To me, it's no comparison. If you want to upgrade the shocks, I can see giving it a shot but that's where I would personally draw the line on altering the ride.
I guess that's why all world-class performance cars have solid axles. Hint, most of them don't. As for wheel hop, both IRS and solid axle cars can suffer from it. Late model Camaros and Mustangs have IRS, so did 2004-06 GTO's, and they all suffered from it to some extent, especially the GTO's. Besides, wheel hop is a moot point on our trikes, solid or independent.

Most trikes with IRS are set-up really soft for max comfort. Turn up the shocks and find a twisty road, then get back to us. On a perfectly smooth road, solid axles work well but add any pavement imperfections,,,
If all you've ever known is riding a trike w/solid axle, transitioning to IRS takes a little getting used to and vice,versa. Every time I ride a solid axle trike now, I'm kinda disappointed with the experience.
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:00 PM
swaug
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clint44
I guess that's why all world-class performance cars have solid axles. Hint, most of them don't. As for wheel hop, both IRS and solid axle cars can suffer from it. Late model Camaros and Mustangs have IRS, so did 2004-06 GTO's, and they all suffered from it to some extent, especially the GTO's. Besides, wheel hop is a moot point on our trikes, solid or independent.

Most trikes with IRS are set-up really soft for max comfort. Turn up the shocks and find a twisty road, then get back to us. On a perfectly smooth road, solid axles work well but add any pavement imperfections,,,
If all you've ever known is riding a trike w/solid axle, transitioning to IRS takes a little getting used to and vice,versa. Every time I ride a solid axle trike now, I'm kinda disappointed with the experience.
Different strokes for different folks.
Thanks, I'm quite aware of what they use IRS in. I've managed a Chevy store for over 20 years now. You're making my point on wheel hop. I'm fully aware that trikes don't have that issue. I've had the opportunity to ride all kinds of setups. I'm just not convinced that an IRS is the dividing line between the TriGlide being considered a top quality choice. JMHO.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:52 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts

FWIW I Just traded my 16 trike after 14.000 miles, I desperately tried to like it and gave It my best effort, depression was setting in, I just missed 2 wheels that much, couldn't take it any longer and rode to the dealer and traded it as Is with over 4 grand in upgrades, I needed to be off and away from It. Bought my dream bike and Im alive again.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:56 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts

Anyone wanting to add CB to their trikes I have the required switches and housing In new like condition. also a rack for the rear for tour pack removal.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by swaug
I'm just not convinced that an IRS is the dividing line between the TriGlide being considered a top quality choice. JMHO.
A solid axle sure wouldn't keep me from owning a trike that had one. My Boss Hoss trike had a solid axle and I was perfectly satisfied with it.

Fearless (old nickname) (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:58 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by 30glock
FWIW I Just traded my 16 trike after 14.000 miles, I desperately tried to like it and gave It my best effort, depression was setting in, I just missed 2 wheels that much, couldn't take it any longer and rode to the dealer and traded it as Is with over 4 grand in upgrades, I needed to be off and away from It. Bought my dream bike and Im alive again.
Unfortunately for some, they don't have the luxury of choosing two wheels over three due to their inability to still remain on two wheels.
My cousin felt that it was just a matter of time until he would no longer be able to ride a two wheeler so he opted for the trike while it was still a choice.
My riding partner couldn't finish this season out and he knows that if he rides at all next year it will have to be on a trike.
Being forced to do anything is less acceptable than choosing to do so, it's just human nature.

As for me at this time, my plan is to buy one more Harley.
Since I (we) have multiple two wheelers, IF I buy a Tri-Glide, I'll still have a two wheeler to ride so I may as well go for three wheels now.

Quick Reply: First Trike Ride...Ever!