Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Oil in all 3 holes

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:58 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I have not had any clutch problems, or problems finding Neutral, as stated approximate 1 1/2 qrt, I do not measure, I just fill to top. Dealer told me this information when I was at 40,000 I am now at 55,000 miles with no problems. Primary is quieter, and finding Neutral is even easier, not that I had a problem before.

The following users liked this post:
SpringerRider (09-21-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:45 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
I was talking to the dealer earlier this year, they are now recommending topping off the Primary, roughly qrt and a half. Bring it up all they way to the top. I asked it this was just on the 14 and up, he said no, they are doing this on all now. Too many compensator failures was what drove them to filling more. Harley has change the oil deflectors with the compensator at least once if not more times trying to circulate more oil. Now they just go with more oil.
I am not doubting you were told this. It would be nice if HD would notify owners if they recommend this.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:39 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
I have not had any clutch problems, or problems finding Neutral, as stated approximate 1 1/2 qrt, I do not measure, I just fill to top. Dealer told me this information when I was at 40,000 I am now at 55,000 miles with no problems. Primary is quieter, and finding Neutral is even easier, not that I had a problem before.
When the primary has too much oil the oil has a tendency to let the plates pull more on the friction plates. Thus not letting them stay still when in neutral with the clutch pulled. The gears then have to clash together to stop the movement before they can mesh together.
The clutch can operate just fine, in fact better without any oil. The lower level of oil still has the chain getting oil. In fact it picks up the oil and like a tornado inside the case.
Putting a bearing submerged in oil doesn't oil the bearing any better when the bearing starts spinning. It beats the oil with all parts of the bearing into a fog. This fog is all that can get into the bearing to lube and cool.The compensator does much the same to the oil. This is true with all fast moving parts in oil. But what it does do is eat an amazing amount of horsepower ! Think of it like putting just the tip of an oar in the water and pulling it. When you put the whole oar in it is a lot harder to pull.
What would do more good is to have a lubricant that wouldn't throw off the moving parts. But this would prove detrimental to the clutch operation. There has to be a compromise somewhere.
But if it makes you feel warm & fuzzy........
Ride safe !

Last edited by sloufoot; 09-20-2017 at 11:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SpringerRider (09-21-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:53 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,271 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Yup...here's a suggestion:

Old 09-21-2017, 04:21 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
I am not doubting you were told this. It would be nice if HD would notify owners if they recommend this.
I agree, if this is the new recommendation from HD, why it is not showing in the manual.

and sloufoot, Very good explanation.
After replacing one compensator under warranty and seeing the change to the device that moves / flings the oil, I knew HD was trying to get more oil up to the compensator, so when the dealer told me this about the increased oil it made sense. But you explanation makes more sense. I am doubting the service manager really got this info, or is he just passing on what he thought would be better? Hmmm... Next time I go in to the shop, I will ask him to show me what he can see from HD changing the amount of oil.
Thank you, and sorry for hijacking this thread.