Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Issue with Love Jugs -Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:28 AM
AmberGhost
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Issue with Love Jugs -Any suggestions?

I recently purchased the Cool Master system and had it installed on my Tri Glide. At first the system was installed 3 inches away from the cylinder heads then was repositioned to be about 2 1/4 inches away. An issue has cropped up that I don't consider trivial. I've been riding recently in temps ranging from 72-76 degrees.

After about 20 minutes of riding my right calf is very hot. I know the Tri Glide engine is very hot and what is happening is that the Cool Master is pushing the hot air through to the right side of the bike. The air stream impacts my leg at the calf. And its hot. Very hot.

I'm used to riding big bikes with hot engines. My last big cruiser was the 2053 CC Vulcan.

So far I have been trying to avoid that stream by sliding my right foot forward. But that does not place my right foot in the best position for a quick stop.

I am going to speak to a local bike mechanic/fabricator about the possibility of constructing some type of ceramic shield (like an extension of the partial shield that comes stock) that would both protect my right leg and maybe flow some air on the right side to the rear cylinder head.

I would assume this problem is most prevalent on the Tri Glide with its super hot engine. Would appreciate any suggestions.

PS I know the product has an excellent reputation and is very well made. But my right calf needs some relief

I would prefer not to remove them and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Gerry

Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 AM
NHBAGGER
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

What year Tri and have you done any of the mods that help eliminate the heat?

Old 09-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Love Jugs
Former Sponsor
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AmberGhost
I recently purchased the Cool Master system and had it installed on my Tri Glide. At first the system was installed 3 inches away from the cylinder heads then was repositioned to be about 2 1/4 inches away. An issue has cropped up that I don't consider trivial. I've been riding recently in temps ranging from 72-76 degrees.

After about 20 minutes of riding my right calf is very hot. I know the Tri Glide engine is very hot and what is happening is that the Cool Master is pushing the hot air through to the right side of the bike. The air stream impacts my leg at the calf. And its hot. Very hot.

I'm used to riding big bikes with hot engines. My last big cruiser was the 2053 CC Vulcan.

So far I have been trying to avoid that stream by sliding my right foot forward. But that does not place my right foot in the best position for a quick stop.

I am going to speak to a local bike mechanic/fabricator about the possibility of constructing some type of ceramic shield (like an extension of the partial shield that comes stock) that would both protect my right leg and maybe flow some air on the right side to the rear cylinder head.

I would assume this problem is most prevalent on the Tri Glide with its super hot engine. Would appreciate any suggestions.

PS I know the product has an excellent reputation and is very well made. But my right calf needs some relief

Thanks
Gerry
Please call Steve at 561-499-0974 and we'll get you some help. Something must be wrong to produce an unusual result like that and I like that as little as you do. Call me and we'll identify and fix your problem pronto - Steve

Old 09-20-2017, 10:57 AM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Hmmm.

I haven't read the install instructions for the love jugs, but is 2 1/2 to 3 inches out from the heads the normal mounting distance? Seems like that is too far out. My Ward FCS fans are about 3/8 inch from the fins and right side heat is no problem except in very heavy slow or stopped traffic. Like the Man said, call him. I am sure they can help you.

Last edited by so60; 09-20-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:01 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

"For every action force there is an equal (in size) and opposite (in direction) reaction force. Forces always come in pairs - known as "action-reaction force pairs." Newton's 3rd law of Physics. You turned your Harley from a radiant oven to a convection oven. Temperature may drop a few degrees with the fans, but going from 300* (normal head temps) to 260* won't feel any different on your leg. It is the curse of high cubic inch, air cooled motors.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:15 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Put an oil cooler and a filter relocation kit on it. Made a big difference on my '15. Kevin at DK can set you up.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:24 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Gitarded
Put an oil cooler and a filter relocation kit on it. Made a big difference on my '15. Kevin at DK can set you up.
While the oil cooling does ultimately help the temps, the heat being felt is the heat that heats the oil. Directly off the heat radiator.
Part of the problem comes from actually moving too much air fast enough to be hot when it gets to the leg. The old argument about the smaller fans vs large fans.
The smaller fans put the air where it does the most good.
The larger fans are blowing air from more of the cylinders. Also picking a lot of the hot air from the left side that normally would have blown away on that side & puts it through to the right side. This puts more air out the right side. Most times the smaller fans do a better job of cooling the oil than the larger fans.
This is because of where the air is concentrated. Mostly at the upper & lower parts of the head & a small area of upper cylinder. This is where most of the heat is created.
I have the smaller fans (Wards) & in traffic I get some hot air, but it goes away when I get to moving.

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 03:29 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

I recently purchased the Cool Master system and had it installed on my Tri Glide.

After about 20 minutes of riding my right calf is very hot.

Thanks
Gerry
I had Jugs on my CrossBones. Thinking of putting them on my Trike. It is hot in Georgia. I installed the Jugs to protect my engine. Did not think about my leg. On the x-bones, the effect was to cause my wife's right leg to heat up but it was livable.

When she would complain about the heat, I would point out that that was the Jugs working and to suck it up.

I never considered the Jugs to be a creature comfort device. But if it is cooking you that bad, I might re-consider.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Thanks
Gerry
The key is to cool down the engine. Please don't put anything on it that would shield you from heat. That will just make the engine hotter...and if it is hot enough to make your calf uncomfortable, it is not good for the longevity or performance of the engine.

Talk to Steve at LJ, that should help, but there are also a lot of little things you can do that will, collectively, cool it down substantially.

You can see a Report on how to cool it down HERE.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-24-2017, 08:26 AM
AmberGhost
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve this is Gerry. I will call you Monday.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Issue with Love Jugs -Any suggestions?