Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

On fiding neutral

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:38 AM
AmberGhost
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default On fiding neutral

2017 Tri Glide Ultra.

It seems that virtually every day, when crusing around town, at least once a day I am unable to find neutral to start the bike, or if it stalls.

Now I've been driving and riding standards since 66 so I know how they can get 'stuck' and you have to jog it a bit to catch. But you can't do that when the bike is not running.

I stalled the bike coming into a mall parking lot yesterday and actually had to get off the trike to depress the clutch and push the trike forward a foot and release the clutch. That typically moves whatever needs to be moved so that I can then find neutral.

A guy who works at a nearby HD dealer says that its not uncommon.
But when you have to dismount the trike to find neutral that can't be right.

So is this typical and can it be fixed?

Thanks
Gerry

Old 09-24-2017, 08:55 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

pull in clutch lever, depress brake (either one), should start in gear.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:59 AM
jonuphi
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

when I changed my fluids I used red line in all 3 holes,neutral was easier to hit afterwards,i never would have thought it would make that much difference

Old 09-24-2017, 10:45 AM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Common problem.

There are several good threads about this in here and the Rushmore forums. As 1plumr1 told you, it can be cranked in gear. Also, if you have a heal shifter it makes finding neutral a LOT easier. I have an extended rear shifter to give my left foot more room. I do not use it for shifting, just finding neutral. From low gear a gentle downward tap with the heel of your boot will put it in neutral.

Last edited by so60; 09-24-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I have found that it takes just the right amount of "touch" to find neutral when I roll up to a stop. At times, it's easy. Other times, it takes two or three attempts before I light up the "N".

Old 09-24-2017, 04:45 PM
AmberGhost
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned early on that a slight tape on the rear shift lever can easily pop it into Neutral.

Have tried every combination of depressing front and or rear brake while depressing and not depressing clutch lever and no go. It wont start. Will ask Harley mechanic if this is an issue.

I can usually tell when its going to be a chore to get it into neutral. You can go all the way forward and all the way back either slowly, very slowly or quickly and it won't go into neutral. When I dismount the trike and slide it forward about a foot and release the clutch you can actually hear it click into position.

I've had to do that in traffic more than once and that sucks.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:58 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

they will start in gear like others replied I also switched to Amsoil in my transmission it made shifting smoother

Old 09-24-2017, 11:29 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

My 2015 Freewheeler stopped starting with the break and clutch pulled. When I took it in for the 20K service I told the service writer. He had the computer re-flashed and it started working again. The computer wasn't recognizing one or the other sensor.

About neutral I bought my first Harley in 1970. I've purchased 6 since then. Each and every one had problems finding neutral until it "loosened up" a bit, and I learned to shift it like it wanted. If you are still stalling it when starting I'd guess you need more riding time, the stalling and secret method of finding neutral will come. Be patient.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:39 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jonuphi
when I changed my fluids I used red line in all 3 holes,neutral was easier to hit afterwards,i never would have thought it would make that much difference
X2 I have been using Red Line for years, and can say if you go with Red Line Transmission, and Primary it is better. They make a special fluid for each of the three. Also to be noted just breaking in the bike makes it easier.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:38 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

As many have stated, it’ll get better with time. The heal shifter makes it a lot easier to find natural for sure...plus once used to it shifting period is easier with the heal shifter...wouldn’t be without it.
I’ve also practiced starting the TG in a stall situation, pulling in the front brake just enough to start the trike but not enough to stop the trike

Quick Reply: On fiding neutral