Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Interesting repitition

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 04:45 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Interesting repitition

In 2011 we got wife a new Tri-Glide and I inherited her '09 Tri. In Coos Bay Oregon I heard a funny jingling sound. Seems that the bolts on my front motor mount backed out. Coos Bay Harley got me back on the road in an hour after finding a replacement spacer from a wrecked bike

Fast forward to 2017

I ride wife's 2014 Tri-Glide to the gas station and hear the same sound. Top motor mount bolt is gone, bottom is 1/2 way out. Go to tighten bottom bolt and it is frozen. take it to Harley. 10 days later I get it back with a bill for $2200 bucks. Bolt was galled into the head, so it had to be replaced. Fortunately I have the extended warranty so it only cost me 50 bucks

Fast forward a month

Wife are on a vacation ride through 4 states. Hear that now familiar jingling. With just over 400 miles the motor mount has come loose again. This time Mother Road Harley in Kingman Az. gets us back on the road. The mechanic there said the motor mount was installed incorrectly. They wrote up the repair, charged me 1 hour labor and we are off again. I can hardly wait to get back to A.V. Harley and have a long talk with the Manager and Owner of the dealership. Ater purchasing 6 motorcycles and trikes from then I think they will eat the Hundred bucks. Probably won't take anything to them for service again. Only comment I can make:

OH WELL

Oh, We carry a 1/2 inch socket and ratchet in her tour pack. Check the motor mount bolts in both trikes everytime we stop.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:11 PM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

I think this has happened to most of us. Glad to hear that the motor is not melting between your legs or swing arm ready to fall off! (a little tongue in cheek here) Enjoy the rest of your trip, seems you always do. Where are the vids and pictures??
Dennis

Last edited by iaff84; 10-06-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:23 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
In 2011 we got wife a new Tri-Glide and I inherited her '09 Tri. In Coos Bay Oregon I heard a funny jingling sound. Seems that the bolts on my front motor mount backed out. Coos Bay Harley got me back on the road in an hour after finding a replacement spacer from a wrecked bike

Fast forward to 2017

I ride wife's 2014 Tri-Glide to the gas station and hear the same sound. Top motor mount bolt is gone, bottom is 1/2 way out. Go to tighten bottom bolt and it is frozen. take it to Harley. 10 days later I get it back with a bill for $2200 bucks. Bolt was galled into the head, so it had to be replaced. Fortunately I have the extended warranty so it only cost me 50 bucks

Fast forward a month

Wife are on a vacation ride through 4 states. Hear that now familiar jingling. With just over 400 miles the motor mount has come loose again. This time Mother Road Harley in Kingman Az. gets us back on the road. The mechanic there said the motor mount was installed incorrectly. They wrote up the repair, charged me 1 hour labor and we are off again. I can hardly wait to get back to A.V. Harley and have a long talk with the Manager and Owner of the dealership. Ater purchasing 6 motorcycles and trikes from then I think they will eat the Hundred bucks. Probably won't take anything to them for service again. Only comment I can make:

OH WELL

Oh, We carry a 1/2 inch socket and ratchet in her tour pack. Check the motor mount bolts in both trikes everytime we stop.
Yep, Had them loosen more times then i can remember with my 11T/G , Also had one brake off at the head, I managed to spin it out by tapping counterclockwise with a punch and hammer...Finally i bought 2 # 8 fully threaded bolts, And used #268 stick loc-tite never loosen after that, Had 12k + on the fix when i sold the Trike... But still carried a 9/16 box wrench with me at all times. On my 17 T/G Harley recommends checking them every 5k even though their a little different design...

Old 10-06-2017, 05:28 PM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

The same thing happened to my wife and I on our big trip this summer only it happened on the Fourth of July when no Harley dealers were open. Fortunately, a Lowes was open so, I bought a grade 8 bolt and a stack of washers. We found a Harley dealer that was open two days later and we stopped in to get it repaired correctly, but the dealer didn't have what we needed, so, I had him torque the bolt to spec. We rode the trike all the way back to Maine from Oregon and I checked that bolt the other day---still good.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

If any of you guys have a picture of where the mounts are, could you post one? I’d like to check mine, but don’t know where to start.

Bubba

Old 10-07-2017, 12:12 PM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

These two bolts

Attached Thumbnails Interesting repitition-img_1473-1-.jpg  
Old 10-07-2017, 12:19 PM
sweet johnnie
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can look at exploded view on ronnies hd micro fiche,under engine mounts & stabilizer link or a parts catalog for your bike,his link goes up to 2017 my.....

Old 10-07-2017, 01:25 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,272 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Hmmmm...

I've got a jingling sound that comes and goes. And haven't found the culprit. Didn't think of looking at those bolts. I'll let ya'll know what I find.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:18 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,272 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Hmmmm...

I've got a jingling sound that comes and goes. And haven't found the culprit. Didn't think of looking at those bolts. I'll let ya'll know what I find.
Update: nope...mine were tight.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't trust any Harley mechanic.. I have seen way too many screw ups. You have to check everything that is done.

Quick Reply: Interesting repitition