Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

rear end shifted

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:14 AM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The panhard bar does center the axle in the frame and body check the heim joints . Ebert

Old 10-15-2017, 11:21 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
The panhard bar does center the axle in the frame and body check the heim joints . Ebert
this is what i thought too ! i was hoping to see the guy this weekend but the weather here is kind of crappy. as so as i find out the cause i'll post back here .

Old 10-15-2017, 03:01 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
Wiki: "A Panhard rod (also called Panhard bar or track bar) is a suspension link that provides lateral location of the axle. Originally invented by the Panhard automobile company of France in the early twentieth century, this device has been widely used ever since."

Simplified drawing, not trike specific.

Apparently it does keep the axle centered, but if it was totally detached the trike would violently waddle side to side all the time. And I can't imagine it getting bent, unless he really whacked the rear end up against a curb hard at speed or something on the right side.
Originally Posted by coronetracer65

Perhaps I am staring right at it, and just don't see it.

I do understand how a pan hard rod, used in a traditional manner on a car or truck will help keep the axle centered....but looking at the diagram below of the PHR on the Tri-Glide, I'm just not seeing out it would keep the axle centered.

Willing to learn, help me out please.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-15-2017, 03:19 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Perhaps I am staring right at it, and just don't see it.

I do understand how a pan hard rod, used in a traditional manner on a car or truck will help keep the axle centered....but looking at the diagram below of the PHR on the Tri-Glide, I'm just not seeing out it would keep the axle centered.

Willing to learn, help me out please.

Kevin
The panhard bar attaches to the frame on the left upright #4. It then connects to the rear axle at #7 in the picture with bolt #6 and washer #5. The shock mounts just hold the rear end in the up and down position. The panhard bar keeps the rear end from moving left to right while the suspension is in its up and down travel.

Snap #4 or #6 and the rear axle can shift left or right freely.

Last edited by The Q; 10-15-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:13 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Q
The panhard bar attaches to the frame on the left upright #4. It then connects to the rear axle at #7 in the picture with bolt #6 and washer #5. The shock mounts just hold the rear end in the up and down position. The panhard bar keeps the rear end from moving left to right while the suspension is in its up and down travel.

Snap #4 or #6 and the rear axle can shift left or right freely.
Because I really want to understand, at the risk of sounding dense....

The axle is connected to the swingarm, and the swingarm to the frame. So how can the swingarm/axle move left or right more than the few mm allowed by the swingarm pivot?

Kevin

Old 10-15-2017, 08:28 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

The panhard bar is a solid mount with bearings to allow the movement up and down with minimal side to side movement.
While all the other mountings for the whole rear frame assembly is rubber mounted or mounted with bearings that can and will allow movement sideways if not for the panhard bar to guide it.
Take one end of the bar loose on your Tri and see just how far the rear frame can move. You must allow for any worn bushings like the swing arm also. The more wear in all other places are mostly hidden by the panhard bar. In the case of a newer trike the lesser the side movement.
This is why if the panhard bar brgs. are worn out the Trike will try and dart from side to side, or try to follow the high side of a highway.

Last edited by sloufoot; 10-15-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:57 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Thanks guys...the light came on! doh I was looking right at it the whole time, and just not seeing it.

I see how a even few mm movement at the swing arm pivot could translate into more movement at the axle, absent the PHR keeping it centered with the frame that the body is mounted to (and that one end of the PHR is mounted to).

Kevin

Old 10-16-2017, 05:16 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Thanks guys...the light came on! doh I was looking right at it the whole time, and just not seeing it.

I see how a even few mm movement at the swing arm pivot could translate into more movement at the axle, absent the PHR keeping it centered with the frame that the body is mounted to (and that one end of the PHR is mounted to).

Kevin
Yes sir, an 1/8" movement at the swingarm / frame attachment translates to a whole lot more movement at the axle / wheels.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:11 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

The swingarm (aka rear fork) is built more to keep the axle from moving forward and backwards with acceleration and braking, but lets each side shock move up and down more or less independently because of the thick rubber mounts. Not designed for side force, though. Each suspension piece usually handles forces primarily in only one or two directions.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 10-16-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:50 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by hardheaded
we were leaving yesterday and a friend who has a 13 tri was with us. we stopped at the local gas station when someone in our group noticed the rear axle was shifted over to the left in his trike. the tire was almost touching the inside of the fender. he was pissed and took it home, so we didn't get to check it out much. but i'm thinking the panhard bar ends must be bad. what do you guys think ?
Did your friend ever find out what the deal is with his TG?

Kevin

Quick Reply: rear end shifted