Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2 wheel guy I need a Trike

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 11:37 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Just my opinion, but if she wants you to get a three wheeler, so do, but if at all possible, keep your two wheeler for the times that you want to ride by yourself.

My cousin bought a Tri-Glide a few years ago and he absolutely loves it but he still talks of rebuilding his Shovelhead for the times when he feels like "two-wheeling"!

My riding partner just picked up a Tri-Glide as he has some issues in riding his two-wheeler and he is definitely selling his Ultra.

Me? I'm on the fence for now, but if I decide to get a Tri-Glide, it will be for trips and when my wife wants to ride with me as opposed to riding her own bike.
'ENJOY!!!!

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 AM
hambone51
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess I am one of the old bikers that has gotten sensible in my golden years. Trike is practical for two up and trips. My Road King is for when I want to hear loud pipes and wear a half helmet with politically incorrect stickers on it.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:09 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

As of today looks like we are getting a 16 Freewheeler in red. My wife wants to be the primary driver and it only has 300 miles on it. The lady said after years of both her husband and herself driving Road Kings, he got sick. So they got a Tri Glide loaded with everything. Things did not go well and he died in 15. She wanted to keep riding so she traded the Tri Glide in on a lighter Freewheeler for solo riding. Now after 2 years she has only drove 300 miles, she said with out her husband she has lost the desire to drive. I do feel sorry for her but I still had to spend some time on the price with her, she came down $2,500 to the point I'm saving $7000 from the list price on a new one. My wife has never drove a 2 wheel bike but she has driven Quads with manual shifting, may be easier for her to adjust to 3 wheels then for me. If all goes well we may have it with in a week....

Last edited by GPHDXLC; 02-12-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:46 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Have her start out in a quiet neighborhood early mornings . She will get the hang of it in no time . Good luck

GPHDXLC (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:16 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by PRrdglide
Have her start out in a quiet neighborhood early mornings . She will get the hang of it in no time . Good luck
Yes that is good advice, I have helped others learn how to ride on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:48 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Something I have done with good success is find a vacant parking lot like a mall or something large. Then set out some of the small cones from WalMart (cheap). Set them up on every other parking space line for weaving through and finding out where the rear wheels track. The rear wheels will get ya in trouble !
Do a lot of figure 8's and stopping tests.
The arms will take a beating the first couple times out, but things get easier. Remember, if you can reach out and touch it with your hand at the side you are too close and fiberglass is spendy !
I'm sure she will like the Freewheeler !

Last edited by sloufoot; 02-12-2018 at 11:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sloufoot:
DK Custom (02-13-2018), GPHDXLC (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:21 AM
lah2420
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PRrdglide
Not sure about the quiet neighborhood. My quiet neighbors gave me the stinkeye the first time I rumbled out of the drive early on a Saturday morning. 😁
Congratulations. I think you will both enjoy it.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:45 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by sloufoot
Something I have done with good success is find a vacant parking lot like a mall or something large. Then set out some of the small cones from WalMart (cheap). Set them up on every other parking space line for weaving through and finding out where the rear wheels track. The rear wheels will get ya in trouble !
Do a lot of figure 8's and stopping tests.
The arms will take a beating the first couple times out, but things get easier. Remember, if you can reach out and touch it with your hand at the side you are too close and fiberglass is spendy !
I'm sure she will like the Freewheeler !
Yes I have been thinking about how the rear wheels will stick out on the sides, I'm not use to that. So I need to teach her that and my self at the same time. We have large parking lots that are empty on weekends close to are home. We both need to learn how the rear wheels will track.
Appreciate all the advice you guys are giving me so far. I'm very curious to find out how I'm going to like it.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:28 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! Since your wife has ridden quads, she already has a leg up on learning to ride a trike. Just take it slow & easy to start, get comfortable and go from there. Empty parking lots are a great place to practice. Good luck to you!

GPHDXLC (02-13-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 11:44 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Congrats, and let us know what she thinks of it after a few hours seat time.

Oh, and once she feels comfortable maneuvering, have her do some practice panic stops, so she will be ready to haul it down if the need comes up. These things stop quick if you do it right. Also things like quick lane changes, obstacle avoidance. I to this stuff at the start of every riding season on the back roads around home, and those skill sure have come in handy several times!

Quick Reply: 2 wheel guy I need a Trike