Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2 wheel guy I need a Trike

Old 02-15-2018, 03:22 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

A '16 in red? Sounds familiar. Yeah, the picture is turned but that is my '16 FreeWheeler in Velocity Red. Many mods to make it easy for the two of us to ride long distance.
We have made the ride from South Jersey to Washington, DC and back home in one day, only stopping for toilet breaks. Too much coffee for me and the wife...well, what can I say without getting into trouble. Anyway, she enjoys long rides now since I added the H-D Sundowner seat and a backrest.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:02 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Up-date
She is buying a 16 Freewheeler with 1,900 miles in black quartz. Closing at the bank this Wednesday then they will deliver to our house. If all looks and sounds good I then give them the check. This has the same add ons as the red one + V&H slip ons and new hand grips, same grips I was going to buy her.
She is very excited to be a Harley chick. She is scared to death of 2 wheels, but has no fear of 3 wheels. I think she will take to it fine with some time, she has driven 4 speed quads. I may have more trouble then her I have been on nothing but 2 wheels for 30 years. I'm very much looking forward to see how I like it after I get some good miles on it. I worry I will have trouble remembering how the rear tires track behind me, she will need to watch out for that too.
Thanks for the advice you have given me so far.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:30 PM
RG RON
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I read all the replies, My observations as my wife rides a tri and I still ride two wheelers, except on longer trips, we that her tri. Switching back and forth has been no problem for me. It did at first, but now it doesn't. We rode metrics years ago and when we got the harly's, she had her superglide triked and then two years later upgraded to her tri. She was in a car accident years ago and has issues with her right ft holding up a two wheeler. The next move was a trike to keep riding. They have pro's and cons. I myself still ride and enjoy the two wheeler and feel its more fun, so keep your bike for you and when u ride together take the trike. When we ride locally , she follows me on her trike. My two cents !

Old 02-19-2018, 01:01 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RG RON
I read all the replies, My observations as my wife rides a tri and I still ride two wheelers, except on longer trips, we that her tri. Switching back and forth has been no problem for me. It did at first, but now it doesn't. We rode metrics years ago and when we got the harly's, she had her superglide triked and then two years later upgraded to her tri. She was in a car accident years ago and has issues with her right ft holding up a two wheeler. The next move was a trike to keep riding. They have pro's and cons. I myself still ride and enjoy the two wheeler and feel its more fun, so keep your bike for you and when u ride together take the trike. When we ride locally , she follows me on her trike. My two cents !
That's my plan, no way I'm letting my King go. But look forward to finding out how I will feel on 3 wheels. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

My wife officially signed all the papers yesterday. Her 16 Freewheeler will be delivered in 2 to 3 weeks. She is excited. when it gets here I will drive it and look it over, if I find anything I don't like, they will refund my down payment and take it back with them. If this happens I can still get one but I would have to drive 218 miles to get it, plus borrow a friends truck and another friends trailer, a PITA for me. That's why I did a on line buy, free delivery. I seen a 5 minute video of it up close and it was running , looked and sounded good. If I didn't have a written guarantee I can back out I would had not bought one this way..wish us luck.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:22 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Hope it goes well. I really enjoy my TG.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (02-23-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

UP-DATE
Her Freewheeler was delivered yesterday. She was at work, it came in brand new condition. Cant even find one scratch on it. I looked it all over under it and looks like it came off the showroom floor. I ran it for about 30 minuets, the motor sounds good, very little top end noise. I took it for a ride never got over 60 mph but it was a blast to drive. I drove around a subdivision with lots of stops and corners. I loved it. When I came up to my first stop light I had to get in to a right turn lain, it would not go right, I was leaning lol, so I turned the bars and it was fun. At 3 different stops I tried to put my feet down, to funny. I cant get over the odd feeling at stops that it wont drop over on me, but I like it. Everything works on it and it runs and shifts great. My wife cant wait to drive it. Sunday Im driving her to a large parking lot, to teach her the clutching and shifting. I think she will take to driving it better then me, she has never been on 2 wheels so she should be easier for her to turn and not put her feet down at stops. I don't know how I will like it on freeways!! but around town, I love it.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:20 AM
RG RON
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

AS I had said in a previous post , there is pros/cons. Good luck and you both will enjoy it ! She will or should feel more comfy on it. I know my wife has, she gets in a mood when she can't get out and ride.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:12 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
UP-DATE
Her Freewheeler was delivered yesterday. She was at work, it came in brand new condition. Cant even find one scratch on it. I looked it all over under it and looks like it came off the showroom floor. I ran it for about 30 minuets, the motor sounds good, very little top end noise. I took it for a ride never got over 60 mph but it was a blast to drive. I drove around a subdivision with lots of stops and corners. I loved it. When I came up to my first stop light I had to get in to a right turn lain, it would not go right, I was leaning lol, so I turned the bars and it was fun. At 3 different stops I tried to put my feet down, to funny. I cant get over the odd feeling at stops that it wont drop over on me, but I like it. Everything works on it and it runs and shifts great. My wife cant wait to drive it. Sunday Im driving her to a large parking lot, to teach her the clutching and shifting. I think she will take to driving it better then me, she has never been on 2 wheels so she should be easier for her to turn and not put her feet down at stops. I don't know how I will like it on freeways!! but around town, I love it.
Thanks for the advice.
Well you have found the two worst things. No leaning and don't put your feet down. No the trike doesn't lean but when I get into the twisties I still lean in. Gives me a better feel for how much steering. It just gets better.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:48 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Congrats to you both! Take it slow & easy at first. I am sure she will do just fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 wheel guy I need a Trike