Notices
Tri Glide & Freewheeler Models Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Tri Glide Trike. Have at it!

'14 Mechanical Reverse

Old 03-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 271 Posts

And total cost please.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:41 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Will do on cost and will try to take pics, something I am bad about forgetting!

So far on cost I am at $1216 for the Motor Trike Reverse Kit from an Ebay vendor out of Kentucky plus $20 for an head pipe gasket kit from J&P.

I was going to get the reverse kit from a local dealer I know but they couldn't go any lower than $1280 plus our 7% GA sales tax, that was his cost from drag specialties. He told me to order from KY.

Only other thing I may need is a quart of Red Line tranny fluid. I'm going to try and capture what's in the tranny since I just changed it less than 100 miles ago.

May change the band clamps on exhaust, all depends on how much of a PITA they are to get off due to corrosion, age etc.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Clint44
Road Captain
Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

You're gonna love that reverse. Our trike has a Champion mechanical reverse and it was a great addition to our Street Glide conversion.

The following users liked this post:
Lilman (03-11-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 10:21 AM
dynamicduo3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2015 freewheeler reverse shot

Hi I am now going on my third reverse motor being installed. on my 2015 freewheeler.. dies at the worst times too..LOL 4-17 and last one 5/18 and this one just died. Is anyone else having this many issues withthe reverse? I use it but not up steep hills for anything other then backing in when need be..very frustrating have my shop looking into this now..have an extended warranty for this reason but??? really what the heck is the problem with these...

Old 08-06-2018, 10:23 AM
dynamicduo3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also curious about this mechanical reverse? plus minus to it etc? going to talk to chop about it but hate to put another 1300 or whatever it costs into it when issues really should be fixed once and for all for what I spent on this etc..thank god for extended warranty but again.... thks

The following users liked this post:
Cagmo (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 01:08 PM
Clint44
Road Captain
Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

Probably the only negative to a mechanical reverse kit, is the initial cost. On my Champion unit, you need to pay attention and make sure you're in neutral, before engaging the reverse. The MotorTrike reverse has a reverse lock-out that will kill the engine, if you try to engage the reverse, if already in another gear. I guess anything is possible but my reverse has always worked great, without any issues.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:09 AM
sloufoot
Global Moderator
Received 1,544 Likes on 1,397 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamicduo3 View Post
Hi I am now going on my third reverse motor being installed. on my 2015 freewheeler.. dies at the worst times too..LOL 4-17 and last one 5/18 and this one just died. Is anyone else having this many issues withthe reverse? I use it but not up steep hills for anything other then backing in when need be..very frustrating have my shop looking into this now..have an extended warranty for this reason but??? really what the heck is the problem with these...
The reverse motor is a brush type motor. Not made for long periods of running. Same type motor for your starter. If you get serious with them about the life, they will most likely fall back and call it a "reverse assist" and not a true reverse.
I use mine every time I use the Trike, but for short distances. Likely a total each ride of about 30 to 40 ft. And not all at one time. At the most around 15ft at a time.
I have never had a problem other than the breaker until I figured out what I could back up of a slope.
Also be sure you let the Trike roll free rearward just a bit after using the reverse. Otherwise you might take off with the motor still engaged in the driven gear at the rear end.. All this takes is to let off the reverse button prior to getting where you want to stop. If the Trike won't roll forward freely after reverse is used the motor is still engaged . This will destroy the armature and or the brushes !

Last edited by sloufoot; 08-07-2018 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 271 Posts

I try not to use it at all, damn thing sounds like crap and frankly, it's an embarrassment, my friends joke about it, they sit and wait for me to hit the button.

I use it only when I have too.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:29 AM
sloufoot
Global Moderator
Received 1,544 Likes on 1,397 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO View Post
I try not to use it at all, damn thing sounds like crap and frankly, it's an embarrassment, my friends joke about it, they sit and wait for me to hit the button.

I use it only when I have too.
Just jealous ! Ask everyone else where their reverse is. Wait for someone to have trouble backing that Ultra out of a bad spot and have a laugh !
I guess ya could have one like the old Gold Wings used to have. It was a cable that tightened up a v-belt from another starter motor.

Last edited by sloufoot; 08-08-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:54 AM
5wheels
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

I like having reverse but I do wish it was a little better

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '14 Mechanical Reverse

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: