Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

'14 Mechanical Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default '14 Mechanical Reverse

Morning all, I haven't been on here in quite a while as work has been keeping me hopping and when I can get away from a computer, I do it.

However, now I need some advice.

My reverse motor is gone, yes I know that's what it is. Been an electrical engineer for 38 years and have a service manual. I have already done the troubleshooting. Proper power is everywhere is should be and the remote control relay is putting power on the motor solenoid. Solenoid is not pulling in.

That said, I had always told myself if it got to where I had to go into the electric reverse system, I was going to a mechanical reverse.

That's my question, has anyone installed a mechanical reverse on the '14 and up with hydraulic clutch?

I'm looking at the Motor Trike unit, anyone have experience? In looking at their website, it shows the MTTR-0024 for my '14 model. Also shows a MTTR-0025 for '15 and up, I didn't realize there was a difference between the two years.

I know Baker makes one also but it is way more expensive and you have to go all the way into the tranny, pulling the gear set.

Thoughts? Advice?

Old 02-19-2018, 02:26 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Neat setup for sure, but, have you considered having your reverse motor rebuilt? much cheaper I would think.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Champion makes one too.
I will also look into a mechanical reverse when mine goes south

Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Lilman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Neat setup for sure, but, have you considered having your reverse motor rebuilt? much cheaper I would think.

Yes I have. Talked to a local guy just an hour ago who's been doing auto electrics almost all of his life, depending on what's wrong with it, $100 - $200 with the only guarantee is that it will work on his bench.

Found a place in Ohio, 1 year guarantee, $260 + $60 shipping back to me so $320 plus whatever it costs me to ship to them.

Not even going to ask Harley how much a new one is!

My TG is not even 4 years old yet and only has 12k miles. At my age, this is probably the last bike I will ever buy as I tend to keep them for a while.

That said, 3 times of having to rework the thing and I have bought the mechanical one. $1280 from a friend of mine who runs the local Yamaha shop. I can install it myself, no problem.

I'm going to take it off later in the week and determine what's wrong, pretty sure it's the solenoid. If I can fix it, fine I will. If not she's going to the mechanical side.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:08 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm really surprised people are having so much trouble with the Harley Reverse. Our '09 had 85,000 miles on her when we traded it for the '15 Freewheeler. I popped the breaker 2 or 3 times in it's lifetime, but that was my fault. Wife's '11 never had any problems in the 55,000 miles we put on her before trading it for a slightly used '14 in '15. We both rode 2 wheels for years, so we very rarely parked 'nose down'. Good Luck with the Mech back-up

Old 02-22-2018, 03:24 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

I don't know this for a fact but I think they changed the reverse motors in '14. Yesterday I called the local dealer mine came from, one of the guys in Service said they had replaced several on '14 to '16 models. He said the two they had opened up were corroded from moisture. Also said from Harley a reman motor was close to $600 and a new one was close to $1100.

He also agreed that if it needed a replacement motor and it wasn't under warranty, he too would go mechanical. Actually made the statement, "As much as they cost, they should have had mechanical reverse from the factory".

I'm going to try and get the motor off of mine over the weekend and tear into it. No stranger to the internals of a starter motor and that's all it is. Almost positive mine is the solenoid and not the motor. I have a fully equipped shop so both can be thoroughly tested.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:36 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

It seems to me in '13 they came out with a mod for the motor. It consisted of changing the end plate to put the drain on the bottom as to get rid of moisture .
The brush plate w/brush set was on EBay a while back. I haven't looked for it in a while, but it was around $50.
The reason for the electric reverse is mainly cost, and Harley's idea of automation and luxury. Also I don't think MOCO really thought the trike was going to be a success. They basically just put a bunch of ideas together and had a success. Quite a few things changed from '09, but mostly cosmetic other than the Engine, front forks, & brakes they said nothing was wrong with. LOL !

Old 02-24-2018, 05:39 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

Well it works again.... For now anyway.....

Solenoid plunger was sticking in the housing and not pulling in. No moisture or corrosion anywhere. Engagement of the plunger in the solenoid housing seemed rough by my standards. Took some red scotch-bright pad, cleaned it up and a very light coat of high temp grease, much smoother now.

Bench tested then put back on the TG, all seems well for now, until it breaks again!

I like it when something can be fixed without spending money!

The following 2 users liked this post by Lilman:
chamokie (02-27-2018), Recan (06-03-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 01:13 PM
Lilman
Road Captain

Well the fix didn't last for long reverse died again yesterday.

This time I found the real culprit

First time I had this thing off I only checked the solenoid. This time I took it off, put it in the vise and hooked a lawn mower battery to it. It ran but with a grinding, metal to metal sound and it would speed up, then slow down.

What the he!!, can't make it any worse so I tore into it. When I went to loosen the long bolts which hold the armature housing to the gear housing, one of them was already loose and with a little pressure, I pulled it out with my fingers.

Hmmmm, this ain't right!

Once I got the armature housing off, I found the threaded boss section of the gear box that screw threaded into was broke! Yes, broken off completely. Tearing into the planetary gearbox revealed virtually no grease what so ever in the primary section. Everything in there was running metal to metal with aluminum filings everywhere.

For lack of a better explanation, the lack of grease had caused things to try and bind over time until too much pressure caused it to break at the weakest point.

Oh well, no fixing this one. Can't even use it as a core for a rebuilt one.

That said, I just ordered the Motor Trike MTTR-0024 mechanical reverse kit. I'll let everyone know how it works out and try to remember some pics while doing the install.

Probably won't be able to touch it for at least 2 or 3 weeks. Headed to FL for Gatornationals next week, then 2 work trips right after.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Polock48
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please let us know how the install goes, with pic's if possible.

Quick Reply: '14 Mechanical Reverse