Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Removing the Tri-Glide Body - Photos & Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 03:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by krub6t9
Ive got a set here.My indy will be putting them on next week .
Thanks for the video. Cant wait to ride my trike with them on.
I believe you will be well pleased with the improved ride quality!

Originally Posted by graygoat
Very cool video, Kevin, thanks for doing that. I only got about 200 miles on so far this year with your 14" trike shock set up and only solo so far. But I do like the way the trike rides now, feel some bumps but the sharp jar is gone & have not bottomed out yet.

Good to hear you're enjoying the ride. We try and set up each pair to be perfectly suited to your riding weights and preferences. But you can do further adjustments yourself. It should be butter smooth, and still not bottom out when you add your passenger and luggage.

Glad you guys like the video, it was fun to make.

While the body is off I'm going to do another video...just for fun...one where I purposely lift one of the rear tires off the ground and also do some wheelies.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-28-2018, 05:53 AM
mgb1
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Kevin, do you know if a 2013 Triglide rear framework is about the same as your's? BTW, just ordered your lift kit and pro action shocks. Hoping to install them without removing the rear of the Triglide. What do you think? Or, is it better to just go ahead and remove the rear trunk housing? Thanks,Mike

Last edited by mgb1; 04-28-2018 at 05:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (05-02-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 12:24 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by mgb1
Hey Kevin, do you know if a 2013 Triglide rear framework is about the same as your's? BTW, just ordered your lift kit and pro action shocks. Hoping to install them without removing the rear of the Triglide. What do you think? Or, is it better to just go ahead and remove the rear trunk housing? Thanks,Mike
Hi Mike,

Yes, it is the same. You do NOT need to remove the body to install the shocks or the Comfort Lift™.

I have installed rear shocks and Lift Kits on Tri-Glides and Freewheelers, year 09-18 and have never removed the rear body to do so.

I believe you are going to be well pleased with the package you ordered...and we appreciate your business.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:26 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Kevin, with the new heim joints have you noticed a;dcchsnge in the handling?

Old 04-30-2018, 04:54 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Kevin, with the new heim joints have you noticed a;dcchsnge in the handling?
For the first time today I rode some interstate with the body back on. There was a very noticeable change (for the better) in handling.

However, I did 3 changes, so it is not possible to know which change contributed how much to the improved handling.

1. Replaced worn hiem joints

2. Replaced bearings AND Bearing Retainer Plates

3. Replaced Rear Tires

Normally, when looking to see if a change produces a desirable result, I do only one change at a time, then test. But getting ready to go on our trip, I had to get all 3 done, so did not take the time to do them separately.

My guess is that the heim joints and the new, improved bearing retainer plates tightened things up for a reduction in the wandering.

The tires have more sidewall flex, which makes for a smoother ride, but I can definitely feel that flex in a hard corner.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:41 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I started a separate thread for what we did about the defective bearing retainer plates that were allowing the bearings (and the wheels and the axles) to bang around in the axle housing.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...er-plates.html

Old 05-01-2018, 05:17 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

We're going to have the video done in the next day or so. Here's a photo capture from some of the video we've been shooting.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:55 PM
jkchipster
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

After installing the Pro Action rear shocks and DK comfort lift kit I couldn’t believe how much better the trike rode and handled compared to the stock set up. But....... Just as pleasing are the Pro Action front fork springs. There are several options out there for the front forks but man these fork springs are great. Very affordable and worth every penny.

DK Custom (05-01-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 11:59 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Here's a video we put together of us having a bit of fun on the Tri-Glide after we made the video on how the shocks work going down the road.

Some folks are concerned about the stability of the HD Trikes.

In this video you can see us purposely lifting one of the rear tires off the ground.

A few things to be aware of before watching this video-

1. We cannot recommend these activities.

2. Pulling the rear tire off the ground can be done by either using some body english, or by going into a corner very fast.

While the tire will come up about 4-6 inches and then have a lot of resistance to going any further....if you do go further, the likelihood is high it will go all the way and flip over.

Absent turning the handlebars very sharply in a corner, or going far over the speed limit in a curve, the tire will not lift off the ground. But if it does, it is still very stable...unless you go past that initial resistance point (4-6 inches).

3. Doing wheelies always brings the risk of twisting the crank or breaking a belt. It is not recommended.

4. If you do wheelies, as you will hear in the video, the exhaust will scrape and keep you from going all the way over, but it also can really grind down the bottom back of your slip-ons. (I'll post a pic soon of what mine look like right now.)

We had a blast making this video...enjoy!

5wheels (05-02-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I feel sorry for the mufflers. Maybe wheelie bars next. LOL

Quick Reply: Removing the Tri-Glide Body - Photos & Video