Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike noob first impressions (100 miles)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Trike noob first impressions (100 miles)

1. First 10 miles.......WTF have I gotten myself into??????

2. It really does take a bit of muscle on those slow turns, huh? Gonna take me a while to be comfortable making a right turn from street to street, it always feels like I'm gonna go wide.....or the inner rear wheel is gonna lift.....

3. The ride is not bad at all. If a lift kit cushes up the ride like everyone says, it is really gonna be nice. Should keep momma happy (she has arthritis in her hips and the SGS beat the crap out of her)

4. Needs a good bit more gas to get it moving from a stop than I am used to.....

5. I really notice the shorter gearing......

6. Kinda gutless next to the SGS, gonna do stage one and tune at 1000 miles, might help out a bit.

7. With the 4 speakers, don't need to upgrade stereo (I like saving money......)

8. I like getting on/off a bike that can't tip over......

9. Freeway riding is sweet, sweeping turns easy and fun.....

10. I'm really gonna like this thing when I get fully used to it.....

YMMV

Lon

Old 04-18-2018, 10:20 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

[QUOTE=Teufelhunden;17287766]1. First 10 miles.......WTF have I gotten myself into??????

I can identify. Once we got the shock and tire pressure adjusted, that made a world of difference. Enjoy the trike.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:28 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Lift kit won't soften the ride, or make it steer any better. It raises the rear end 1 1/2 inches. Shock stroke length stays the same as does shock dampening. It does lift the rear so it is less likely to drag mufflers. Lifting the rear will if anything will reduce the angle of the front rake. When doing a conversion from a 2 wheeler to a trike, one of the things you need to change is the triple tree brackets to increase the fork angle

People's impression can be changed by others opinion. Louder mufflers do not mean more power or faster trikes.

Good luck, ride the hell out of that trike, you will get used to it

Old 04-19-2018, 12:50 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

With the comfort lift it changes the leverage on the shock so it does to some extent soften the ride. The problem I had is the stock shocks were bottoming out on bumps and dips with little shock action. I decided I wanted to retain the air portion, so I went with the Progressive air shocks and really made a nice ride with the standard lift kit.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:06 AM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

(1) A standard lift kit that doesn't change the shock angle will do little to improve the ride, by itself. However, the Comfort lift kits do change the shock angle. This increases the leverage on the shock which, all else being equal, will soften the ride.
(2) Raising the rear ride height will definitely decrease steering effort as doing so will result in less trail in the front steering geometry. Lowering the rear ride height will create the opposite effect. Shorter or taller rear shocks will change the front geometry, so will shorter or taller rear tires.
(3) Trike trees can have the same rake as a bike but will have less trail. Less trail will quicken/lessen the steering effort. Bike trees have more trail. If you don't change to trike trees when doing a conversion, steering effort will be greatly increased.

Please, do just a little research about chassis geometry.

Last edited by Clint44; 04-19-2018 at 02:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Clint44:
frenchbiker (04-19-2018), mctraveler (04-19-2018), tnbillybob (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I noticed a difference in the effort required to steer my trike after installing a lift kit and Progressive shocks (stock length) at the same time. Because I don't think better shocks can improve steering, I attributed it 100% to the lift kit.
A couple of weeks later, I replaced the front OEM springs by Progressive springs and I noticed another improvement in steering and overall handling, especially on uneven pavement.
I'm very pleased with the results and she's very pleased too!

The following users liked this post:
Teufelhunden (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:03 PM
Geary Thomas
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
1. First 10 miles.......WTF have I gotten myself into?????? Been there, thought that... ( still do ... )

2. It really does take a bit of muscle on those slow turns, huh? Gonna take me a while to be comfortable making a right turn from street to street, it always feels like I'm gonna go wide.....or the inner rear wheel is gonna lift..... changing rake will improve

3. The ride is not bad at all. If a lift kit cushes up the ride like everyone says, it is really gonna be nice. Should keep momma happy (she has arthritis in her hips and the SGS beat the crap out of her) Lift kit helps, but will probably want the shock upgrade

4. Needs a good bit more gas to get it moving from a stop than I am used to..... can change in BCM to "agressive"

5. I really notice the shorter gearing......

6. Kinda gutless next to the SGS, gonna do stage one and tune at 1000 miles, might help out a bit. more than a bit.. world of difference with mine

7. With the 4 speakers, don't need to upgrade stereo (I like saving money......) spent $$ upgrading mine, if I had it to do over again.....

8. I like getting on/off a bike that can't tip over...... yes sir !!

9. Freeway riding is sweet, sweeping turns easy and fun..... Tis...

10. I'm really gonna like this thing when I get fully used to it..... yep, get ready to spend $$.. Lottsa toys out there to make her special..

YMMV

Lon

Geary

Last edited by Geary Thomas; 04-19-2018 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Teufelhunden (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

go to DKCUSTOMS and start reading I did new shocks and mono tubes up front worth ever penny

Old 04-19-2018, 04:43 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 7125
go to DKCUSTOMS and start reading I did new shocks and mono tubes up front worth ever penny

Yeah, I've read good things about their stuff.

Lon

Old 04-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Default Updated for the second hundred miles

1. Those 90 degree right turns on surface streets are still a challenge, getting better but I still feel like the inner rear wheel is gonna lift.......

2. Really liking the ride, even with the factory shocks and no lift on the rear. I have figured out that I need to keep my lower back loose and let the bike "float" beneath me when the rear wheels get into something that makes them move up and down at different times

3. Getting used to giving it more gas and being slower on the clutch release when starting out...

4. It's still gutless compared to what I traded in. Doing stage one at 1000 miles, we'll see what it looks like then. Why do they NOT offer a stage 3 kit for the trikes....seems like it should come with 114......

5. Thinking I might want to upgrade the sound system a bit.....it's pretty darn good, but gets a little distortion when turned up loud enough to hear at 80......

6. I like getting on/off a bike that can't tip over......I like it even more now. If I ever went back to 2 I'd likely forget to put my feet down at a stop......

7. Freeway riding is sweet, sweeping turns easy and fun.....did a twisty mountain road today and figured out that it seems to be easier to turn if I do most of the work by pushing with my outside arm and pushing down against the floorboard with my outside foot as well......

9. I'm really gonna like this thing when I get fully used to it.....YEP.....

YMMV

Lon

Quick Reply: Trike noob first impressions (100 miles)