Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo's

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 01:30 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Day 11 Continued-

Look in the upper right of the photo...you can see the TG and the cones are gone! We did not even start eating our lunch...

...back on the road, all the way to the top!

Heading on up, not close to the edge...

...but the road is pretty steep!

Closer to the edge now, better for taking photo's looking down...

...this one's better. So steep it is hard to even tell what you're looking at, at first. That is a LONG Way down!

This V-Twin powered Trike? came up behind us, really moving out...

...the V-Twin is at the very front. I did not want to slow him down, motioned him to go around us. Very cool 2 seater.

I've skipped a ton a great pics going up, but am going to share some of us heading down too. This is one of the last turns before reaching the summit.

Obligatory pic at the sign.

More coming as time allows.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
graygoat (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:44 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Day 11 Continued-

A panoramic shot to give an idea of how high up we are-

Mary with a range of snow covered mountains in the distance-

End of the line for the cog train-

Last time we were here I walked down to this look-out. The walk down, I guess it is about 50-60 yards, is easy...at 14,000 feet, the walk up is a bit of a different story. Anyway, Mary must have take 5-6 photos of it, teasing me to go down...I passed today. lol

We messed around at the top for a while, then got back on the TG to head on down a ways for lunch.

The TG is running really well. Last 111 miles we've averaged 35.6 mpg, and that includes the climb to the top here.

Note, it's 46 degrees...it's still pretty windy too.

Headed down, no better way to start than a sharp descending curve!

This is a fun road, with amazing views...note there's still snow here and there.

Mary in the mirror in a sharp left curve.

This pic gives a little bit of an idea of just how crazy this road is....looks a bit like a 3-D slot car track. My quick count is that there are 31 curves in this photo.

Mary in the mirror as we head into a sharp descending, cambered right U in the road. FUN!!!

Will finish up Day 11 soon.

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
graygoat (06-22-2018), Imold (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:42 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,935 Likes on 2,569 Posts

This road is on my list!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for reinforcing that we gotta get over there. Last year we hit the southwest corner of Colorado when touring Utah. Spent a night in Cortez and went to Mesa Verde, cool spot if it is on your route and you haven't been. You will want to do the tour of the pueblo, climb down the ladders etc. Amazing stuff. Oh and the ride thru the park is also really good, they told me 45 minutes to the top, we did it in under 30. Real nice road, you would like. Enjoy and keep the pics coming for those of us stuck at work.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:52 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Stunning pics, living vicariously through the lens of your camera, Thanks.

I noticed in your dash pic you have oil pressure displayed, I have asked many people about this as my 18 only shows the work OK, is there a way to get oil pressure on the 2018 that you or anybody els knows of?

Old 06-22-2018, 05:02 PM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

living vicariously through you! I wish I was in 40 degree weather right now...Heat Index in MS today about 105 degrees. Thanks for taking us along!

Old 06-23-2018, 12:20 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Keven, that 3 wheeler you encountered was a Morgan 3, built by British. It runs a 1979cc S&S engine, and will do about 115 MPH.
They also build the Morgan 4-4 which is their sports car. Company started in 1909. There is a dealer in Florida.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:43 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO

I noticed in your dash pic you have oil pressure displayed, I have asked many people about this as my 18 only shows the work OK, is there a way to get oil pressure on the 2018 that you or anybody els knows of?
Starting in 2017 model year, Harley switched from an oil pressure reading to OK. There is no way that I know of to change it

Old 06-24-2018, 11:57 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Architect
This road is on my list!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for reinforcing that we gotta get over there. Last year we hit the southwest corner of Colorado when touring Utah. Spent a night in Cortez and went to Mesa Verde, cool spot if it is on your route and you haven't been. You will want to do the tour of the pueblo, climb down the ladders etc. Amazing stuff. Oh and the ride thru the park is also really good, they told me 45 minutes to the top, we did it in under 30. Real nice road, you would like. Enjoy and keep the pics coming for those of us stuck at work.
Cool! I think you'll like it.

We've been to Mesa Verde...did not tour the pueblo. Will put that on our list. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO

Glad you're enjoying.

''17 up, like bronxbill said, there is no factory way to display the oil pressure. You can put an aftermarket oil pressure gauge on, but it won't display on the screen.

Originally Posted by n5tf
living vicariously through you! I wish I was in 40 degree weather right now...Heat Index in MS today about 105 degrees. Thanks for taking us along!

Yeah, we'll be back in MS on July 4th, in the humid heat. lol

Glad you're enjoying the trip! Much more to come.

Originally Posted by sloufoot
Keven, that 3 wheeler you encountered was a Morgan 3, built by British. It runs a 1979cc S&S engine, and will do about 115 MPH.
They also build the Morgan 4-4 which is their sports car. Company started in 1909. There is a dealer in Florida.
It was moving out...that is for sure. Much more aerodynamic than the TG. Side by side seating and a steering wheel too.

Originally Posted by bronxbill
Starting in 2017 model year, Harley switched from an oil pressure reading to OK. There is no way that I know of to change it

Yeah, weird that they did that...guess their researched showed that the majority of buyers were ok with just an idiot light over an actual gauge.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by bronxbill
Yes, I've heard that from others as well, was hoping to hear something different, I may resort to adding a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Why H-D thinks it's ok to hide critical engine data from us is bewildering, I want to know temp and pressure, I watch these on my diesel truck, give me peace of mind.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:25 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 285 Posts

which gears did you use the most on the climb to the top I am curious

Quick Reply: DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo's