Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo's

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Our plans were to leave on our trip tomorrow morning. This plan has been in place for over 2 months.

BUT...this afternoon, around 4:30, we looked at each other and said....why not leave now?

So we did....we left out at 5:30 this afternoon...just to get out on the road.

Almost forgot to get a pic before leaving....Mary with her new WHITE helmet.

It had just finished raining at the house when we left. It's pretty warm, that is steam coming up off the road up ahead.

...we figured we could miss most of the rain between here and Jonesboro. Even if we did hit some, the forecast for tomorrow is also rain.

After taking about 30 miles of backroads, we ended up on the interstate and crossing into Tennessee.

We did not spend long in Tennessee before getting on the bridge to cross the Mississippi River into Arkansas.

We are finally on the road!!! Even though it takes 3-4 days before settling into road life...we got started, and it feels good knowing we're out traveling for the next 40+ days!

Rain to the left of us...lots of lightening, but it's a ways off.

Mary in the mirror....we are taking a slight detour here, to get around a pretty big storm we were headed straight into...

...rode thru a lot of Arkansas farmland on some back roads, they had seen some heavy rain right before we got there...

...we threaded the needle a few times, missing the heavy rain and....

...just riding thru a little light rain here and there.

Those of you that have read our previous Ride Reports know that Mary likes Cloud Pics....here's one as we get close to Jonesboro, Arkansas, around 7:30 pm.

More coming soon.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 3 users liked this post by DK Custom:
graygoat (05-24-2018), mctraveler (06-27-2018), Oogie Wa Wa (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:51 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Good stuff Kevin! Subscribed.
You and Mary enjoy!!!

Old 05-23-2018, 11:51 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Day-2

Leaving out of Jonesboro, heading to Eureka Springs for the Trike Talk Get Together. Sunny, blue skies and more farmland!

We weren't on the road long until we happened upon an 18 wheeler that had left the road...the utility company was already there, working on the power lines the truck had taken out...and the wreckers were working on getting it back on the road to be towed away. You can see the sheet metal at the front of the trailer had all been peeled away. We sat there about 20 minutes until they started letting traffic pass through.

Back rolling....On the left a coupe pulling a trailer, on the right (right above the windshield) a crop duster at work.

Another pic of a crop-duster. We saw quite a few today...some quite close coming over the road....sorta difficult to get a clear photo.

Starting to climb into the foothills before the Ozarks....lots of nice sweepers.

A cloud pic....when the clouds were still being nice. lol

We stopped for gas in Mountain Home. We saw there was some rain off in the direction we were headed...lightening too. Looked at the weather app and it showed ONE LITTLE Spot of rain between us and Eureka Springs.

So we decided to put on our rain jackets, but that we would not need our rain pants....anything that got wet would dry out long before reaching Eureka Springs.

Well, that was a mistake. lol We spent over half the time in heavy rain...like so heavy that I was slowing down quite a bit and putting on my flashers. Here's a photo of some of the not so heavy rain when Mary had the camera out.

Every now and then it would stop raining and we would see a little blue sky.

In the Ozarks now, and having a little fun on the roads going into Eureka Springs.

We're here! This is just a few the the Trikes, will get more pics tomorrow.

Had a great time visiting with some fellow trikers, and looking forward to riding the Ozarks and visiting more over the next couple of days.

The following users liked this post:
graygoat (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 03:48 AM
Raventhik
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread! Love the pics!
Keep up the good work and be safe and enjoy. We don't leave for our 2 week trip until July but I can enjoy yours for now.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:51 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Nice ride you have going there, my wife is trying to talk me into a trip to North Dakota, I think if she'll go for the bike idea, I might agree to it. She also has a thing for Cloud pics, perhaps we will be able to contribute. Texas to North Dakota, Maybe!

Old 05-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Heh, reminds me of our last long trip; the main criteria for where to stay next was whether the hotel had a dryer or not!!! 3 days of rain coming home.

But great to see you two on the road again, it's kind of a virtual vacation trip! And it helps inspire us for an 17 day-er later this year, Be safe and thanks!

Old 05-24-2018, 01:11 PM
rwhgme
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

God..I wish we were with you..

Old 05-24-2018, 01:17 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,086 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Great stuff Kevin.. I wish I could get my wife to agree to a long ride like that. maybe...Thanks for sharing !

Old 05-25-2018, 04:14 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Day 3-

Our first full day in Eureka Springs, headed out in the morning on the 302....

...ES is all about the twisties, and riding them with friends...

...we're on the 221 now. One of Mary's cloud pics. We knew it was going to be a short day, sometime this afternoon thunderstorms are supposed to roll thru, but right now it's perfect!

Headed toward some curving roads that wander thru some hills and hollers...

...with a river every now and then.

Back in some curves now....

and more curves as we get on the 311.

The 311 heads up into Missouri....

It has sweepers, tight turns, hills and great views of the countryside.

Today is the first day to sorta stretch our legs and enjoy the twists, turns, hills, and views.

More in next post....

The following users liked this post:
graygoat (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 04:35 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Day 3-

The 311 is a great road, full of a little of everything...

...there was very little traffic, finally getting out and just riding for the pure pleasure of seeing what's over the next hill....

...and around the next curve.

One of the lakes we passed by.

Only once in my life did I have my fill of curves in a day....today is not that day, we're thoroughly enjoying the ride!

Crossing into Missouri, at the town of Blue Eye.

It wasn't much of a town, but they had a Hillbiilly Glass Shack and a Hillbilly Squat Pot. lol

We stopped for gas and took a look at the radar. EEEKKKK, there is a huge green, yellow and red mass just outside of Eureka Springs...headed straight for the motel.

We hightailed it out of there, with Zammy leading the way. It looks perfectly fine, 35 miles away...

...but as we get closer (we're still 15 miles out here), it is not looking so good.

We have rain suits, and we don't mind riding in the rain...but this is a pretty heavy thunderstorm, as seen in this pic.

We rolled into the motel parking lot, right as some big drops were starting to fall. Can't get any more perfect ride and timing than that.

The rest of the afternoon and evening was spent swapping stories with other Trike Talk Members. Good times!

The following 4 users liked this post by DK Custom:
DanDeleted (07-17-2018), graygoat (05-25-2018), rwhgme (05-25-2018), Tryker Dude (05-26-2018)

Quick Reply: DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo's