Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo's

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 02:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts
Default DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo's

When Mary and I started planning our Big Trip for 2018 we decided we wanted to ride as many spectacular roads and visit as many scenic locations as we could.

We have around 43 days, and a bunch of family, and a few friends to visit. They are all west of the Mississippi river.

So we began our list….

Bearthooth Pass
Yellowstone
Northern California Coast
High Sierra’s
Ozarks
Mountain Passes in Colorado
Redwoods
Million Dollar Highway
Highway 12 in Idaho
National Parks in Utah

We began working with the calendar, the list above, plus the visits to friends and family, hammering out an itinerary.

Turns out there is a Trike Talk Get Together in Eureka Springs (Ozarks) that matches up with our calendar for a great start to this trip.

We’ll be posting photo’s as we go. Upon our return, there will be a few videos.

Couple of photo's of what we're looking forward to...

Beartooth Pass in June, and...

...time on the Open Road.

It looks like it will be around an 8k-9k mile trip. Not a lot of miles, but certainly some of the best riding roads and most scenic views west of the Mississippi.

The TG is ready, new tires, brakes, fluids, and a thorough going over.

Avon front tire-

Time for a wash...

...annual wax on....

...wax coming off.

Paint looks great in bright light...wish it always looked like this.

Packing everything we need for riding in 100+ degree temps and below freezing temps is always a challenge. We’ll be doing a test pack later today.

Just 1 more days at the shop before we take off!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Top Answer

10-29-2018, 05:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Day 44 concluded-

We're rolling now...

...on roads we've traveled...

...hundreds of times...

...but still thoroughly enjoy...

...appreciating the beauty and rural nature of Mississippi.

Last couple of turns....

...before arriving...

...Home!

Mary in her cool vest, happy to be back to all her animals and greenhouse!

Thanks for following along. We've had a blast. We took it easy and really spent time enjoying a lot of the places we've rushed thru previously.

The Tri-Glide performed flawlessly, and in our 60's we still love it out on the road!

We're already talking about some of the places we're going to visit next year!

Old 05-21-2018, 03:01 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

When you get out here to CO/NM, let me know. I live in ABQ, if you're passing through, so maybe we could meet somewhere? Would be nice to put a face to some names here.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:45 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
When you get out here to CO/NM, let me know. I live in ABQ, if you're passing through, so maybe we could meet somewhere? Would be nice to put a face to some names here.

Thanks for the invite...this trip we are not making it in to NM. We will be spending a day in Ouray, CO. PM me if that is a place you would like to ride to.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:55 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Mary and I have ants in our pants to get out on the road! lol

We just finished test packing....it's been two years since we've been on a long trip, so I wanted to make sure we were good.

Oh, here's a photo of the new Comfortred rear tires we're running. Got about 600 miles on them and they feel good, been in some light rain, we're sure to hit some heavy rain on this trip, maybe some snow, so we'll see how they do.

So, here is most of the stuff we are taking...a few small odds and ends not in the pile.

It all fits, with quite a bit of room left over...

...only thing on the rack is the cooler.

Short day at the shop tomorrow, then Wednesday morning we hit the road til the first week of July!

Plenty of pics coming.

The following users liked this post:
Settertude (05-23-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

If you can check out Lolo Pass, runs along the Colombia River. Take it from Missoula MT. I rode it to Walla Walla Wash....very beautiful.

The following users liked this post:
Settertude (05-23-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I enjoyed following your last trip. I'll be doing the same on this one. I live in Quincy in the Sierra. If you come this way let me know.
kk

Old 05-21-2018, 08:38 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I am interested in the rear tire reporting , I am having the Comfortreds installed tomorrow ! First set of rears on the 2014 ,60,000 miles out of them. Ebert

Old 05-21-2018, 11:55 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Casper
If you can check out Lolo Pass, runs along the Colombia River. Take it from Missoula MT. I rode it to Walla Walla Wash....very beautiful.
Our son and granddaughter live in Missoula, so we usually take Lolo Pass at least once, either coming or leaving there. Nice road...and the 99 miles of the 12 leading to the pass out of Idaho are some of the best twisties in the nation...great scenic views too!

Originally Posted by moparnut72
I enjoyed following your last trip. I'll be doing the same on this one. I live in Quincy in the Sierra. If you come this way let me know.
kk
Cool, glad you enjoyed, this should be a good one too! We're crossing the Sierra's a bit south of you.

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
I am interested in the rear tire reporting , I am having the Comfortreds installed tomorrow ! First set of rears on the 2014 ,60,000 miles out of them. Ebert
They'll be getting a work-out on this trip...will definitely be reporting on how I like (or dislike) them. Good to hear you got that good mileage out of the stockers.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:36 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

It looks like it will be around an 8k-9k mile trip. Not a lot of miles, but certainly some of the best riding roads and most scenic views west of the Mississippi.

the understatement of the day
Can't wait to watch your trip

Old 05-22-2018, 04:20 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Looking forward to the pictures of the trip. Our favorite has always been Bear Tooth Pass. We were also there in June 2017. Was some beautiful riding with the tunnels of snow still remaining. There were people riding bicycle, and others Skiing just during one of our rides through one of the days.

Bear tooth pass June 2017

Quick Reply: DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo's