Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:03 AM
MarkinMO
Tourer
Received 191 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Warranty Question

This has probably been asked many times before, but since I'm new to the forum, I thought I'd give it a shot. Picking up a 2018 Tri Glide Ultra tomorrow. The trike is used...has 1080 miles, and 15 months left on the factory warranty. I know I will face the full-court press from the finance guy to purchase an extended warranty and their maintenance plan. Is there ANY advantage to buying the extended warranty from HD, other than making a sizeable donation to the dealership? I'm sure that, like with autos, extended warranties can be had from secondary sources for substantially less money. I appreciate any responses, and apologize if this horse has been previously beaten to death.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:44 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

welcome to the three world. get us a pic. try this link on ins.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...ty-prices.html

Last edited by 5wheels; 06-21-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkinMO
This has probably been asked many times before, but since I'm new to the forum, I thought I'd give it a shot. Picking up a 2018 Tri Glide Ultra tomorrow. The trike is used...has 1080 miles, and 15 months left on the factory warranty. I know I will face the full-court press from the finance guy to purchase an extended warranty and their maintenance plan. Is there ANY advantage to buying the extended warranty from HD, other than making a sizeable donation to the dealership? I'm sure that, like with autos, extended warranties can be had from secondary sources for substantially less money. I appreciate any responses, and apologize if this horse has been previously beaten to death.
Keep in mind that the warranties are negotiable like every thing else at a dealership. Last one I bought was $1600 for five addt'l years including tires and wheel coverage(within a few bucks of the aftermarket ones). DO NOT buy it at their first price offer. They would rather make a little money on it than make no money on it. Just be willing to find you own extended warranty on the aftermarket. The only advantage to the Harley one is that they will roll it into the loan, but is that really an advantage? Pay cash for it.

Lon

Old 06-22-2018, 03:56 AM
jefkat2
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to Free on Three

Old 06-22-2018, 05:40 AM
MarkinMO
Tourer
Received 191 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the input, folks. I've been out of the motorcycle game for so long I wasn't sure if their was an advantage to going with the selling dealer. For my Ford F-150, I bought the Ford ESP warranty, 8yrs/100,000 miles, online from an East coast Ford dealer for about half what my selling dealer quoted. We're picking up the trike today...exciting stuff!

Old 06-22-2018, 06:29 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkinMO
Thanks for the input, folks. I've been out of the motorcycle game for so long I wasn't sure if their was an advantage to going with the selling dealer. For my Ford F-150, I bought the Ford ESP warranty, 8yrs/100,000 miles, online from an East coast Ford dealer for about half what my selling dealer quoted. We're picking up the trike today...exciting stuff!
Take you time they are a ball once you learn how to adapt.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I've purchased the HD endorsed plan on several bikes & am due to purchase another one soon on our '17 trike. Its more than paid for itself and I've found if you sell or trade your Harley before the expiration date, the pro-rated refund is very fair. Do shop the price though! I've always bought the ESP out of state, because the dealers here in Florida wouldn't discount. For sure go with the tire & wheel coverage on that trike. Have fun on that 3 wheeler!

Old 06-22-2018, 06:43 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

HD vs. after market On my warranty with HD I have an extra 3 years total of 5 years. I do ride alot and by the end I do expect to have over 100000 miles so something is going to break sooner or later. HD has road service any place in the USA to a dealer for repair and it will cost me $50.00 for the covered repair don't know about the aftermarket warranty

Old 06-22-2018, 01:46 PM
oldtimershockey
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never believed in extended warranties but I decided to get it on my 2013. Repaired under warranty: front brakes, back brakes, tourpak lights, front fairing lowers, transmission leak, shifter seal leak, rocker box oil leak, couple other leaks I forget. That would have been 4 g's. In my case the warranty paid for itself

Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the world of three wheels.....My extended warranty expires 12/19. I need to start shopping around by August 2019 for additional warranty. Local dealer quoted me $2,000 for two years. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Warranty Question