Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Rough Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 01:05 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco52
Hello All, I have been riding Harleys for about 20 years. I started with a Road King, then an Ultra, and then a Street Glide when my wife began to feel a bit unsafe and I was riding mostly alone. I also owned a Ducati Multistrada at the same time as the Street Glide. I did not realize how rough the HD's road until I got the Ducati. Bottom line here is that my knees and my wife don't work on a 2 wheel bike any more. I am going to buy a 2018 Tri Glide here shortly and have a question for you experts out there. Does the TG ride rougher than the 2008 Ultra that my wife and I put 50K on? If so will I need to do the suspension upgrades that I have seen on this Forum? Thank you in advance for your advise.

Like others have mentioned, it is not necessary, but it sure is nicer. We got our first Tri-Glide in 2011 and rode it stock quite a bit, then we started making improvements. Each a step toward where we are now.

Don't know if you've seen these two reports...if not, here are the links-

Rear Suspension Report

Front Suspension Report

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-02-2018, 02:33 PM
rocco52
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked it up on Saturday and had a chance to run it up and down a couple of canyons near my home. Thanks to input from several people on this forum I really enjoyed it and I understand and am comfortable with the handling and ride. One surprise though was going through a dip or steep driveway entrance at an angle. What an eye opener! I will be taking these transitions as straight as possible in the future!

Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco52
I picked it up on Saturday and had a chance to run it up and down a couple of canyons near my home. Thanks to input from several people on this forum I really enjoyed it and I understand and am comfortable with the handling and ride. One surprise though was going through a dip or steep driveway entrance at an angle. What an eye opener! I will be taking these transitions as straight as possible in the future!
Thanks for your input. In your last sentence, I'm confused, are you saying the lift kit made your bike handle worse then it did before on the driveway entrance or was it always like this . Thanks.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Thanks for your input. In your last sentence, I'm confused, are you saying the lift kit made your bike handle worse then it did before on the driveway entrance or was it always like this . Thanks.
I don't think it made it handle worse. Going over the entrance/exit to a driveway or similar where the rear wheels hit a bump at different times can be a bit concerning until you get to expect it......

Lon

Old 07-03-2018, 10:44 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I just did the DK lift and my pro action shocks yesterday took me about 1.5 hours and it wasn't that bad of a job at all.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom - ST (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:53 AM
rocco52
4th Gear

I have not installed a lift kit yet. I was just commenting on how the bike takes the dips and drive entrances at an angle. I am glad I was alone. It would have freaked my wife out. Now that I know I will take these things slowly and as close to straight as possible.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Or like for my driveway that is on a curve, take the entry at a really steep angle, it doesn't flop back and forth so quickly.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

It’s 1 1/2 hour job to install the lift kit one of the rotors has to be removed on the 2017 trikes , i had the Legonds lift installed and my trike rides great with the stock suspension [the techs cringe when they have to do one]

Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 PM
sullyj020
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The DK Custom Lift Kit is the best thing I've installed. What a big difference in the ride and the steering. So Easy.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom - ST (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:36 AM
rocco52
4th Gear

I have not installed the lift kit yet but I am getting ready to take my wife with me for the first time. I have been riding by my self for the last couple of weeks to get the feel of the bike. The two of us weigh about 380 together. Do I really need to pump up the shocks to 50 psi as indicated in the owners manual? On my ‘08 Ultra I think I put 25 psi in the shocks.

Quick Reply: Rough Ride?