Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Rough Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:17 PM
rocco52
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Ride?

Hello All, I have been riding Harleys for about 20 years. I started with a Road King, then an Ultra, and then a Street Glide when my wife began to feel a bit unsafe and I was riding mostly alone. I also owned a Ducati Multistrada at the same time as the Street Glide. I did not realize how rough the HD's road until I got the Ducati. Bottom line here is that my knees and my wife don't work on a 2 wheel bike any more. I am going to buy a 2018 Tri Glide here shortly and have a question for you experts out there. Does the TG ride rougher than the 2008 Ultra that my wife and I put 50K on? If so will I need to do the suspension upgrades that I have seen on this Forum? Thank you in advance for your advise.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco52
Hello All, I have been riding Harleys for about 20 years. I started with a Road King, then an Ultra, and then a Street Glide when my wife began to feel a bit unsafe and I was riding mostly alone. I also owned a Ducati Multistrada at the same time as the Street Glide. I did not realize how rough the HD's road until I got the Ducati. Bottom line here is that my knees and my wife don't work on a 2 wheel bike any more. I am going to buy a 2018 Tri Glide here shortly and have a question for you experts out there. Does the TG ride rougher than the 2008 Ultra that my wife and I put 50K on? If so will I need to do the suspension upgrades that I have seen on this Forum? Thank you in advance for your advise.
I don't know if you will NEED the suspension upgrades from DK Customs, but I do know you will WANT the upgrade. Have it set up for plush ride. The difference is huge, and adding the lift to the rear makes it steer like a whole nuther bike. I don't have empirical data, all I've got is what it feels like to me, and it feels like the effort required to steer through tight corners is reduced by half......

Lon

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (06-27-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I'm not on "Three" yet but my riding partner just bought his (a '16) this season.
After the first ride on it he was regretting the decision (he's got a lot of metal in his body) to give up his Ultra Classic and go to a Tri-Glide.
I kept telling him about DK Products and the need for him to "personalize" his trike to his needs.

Once he talked with the folks at DK and did as they recommended, he is a thoroughly satisfied customer as well as a Tri-Glide owner.

DK Custom (06-27-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:10 PM
rocco52
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I am fairly handy and have access to an incredible shop ( I am the Service Manager of a large Audi Dealership). Should I do this myself or go to the Harley Store and have them do it?

Old 06-25-2018, 09:39 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rocco52
Thanks for the help guys. I am fairly handy and have access to an incredible shop ( I am the Service Manager of a large Audi Dealership). Should I do this myself or go to the Harley Store and have them do it?
I am to the point that I am no longer doing my own work. The dealership charged me 1 hr. to install the shocks and lift brackets. That tells me that it took about 20 minutes to do. Easy-Peasy.......the shocks are already adjusted, just install and ride.....

Lon

P.S. Audi's SUCK to work on.........

Last edited by Teufelhunden; 06-25-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:07 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
I am to the point that I am no longer doing my own work. The dealership charged me 1 hr. to install the shocks and lift brackets. That tells me that it took about 20 minutes to do. Easy-Peasy.......the shocks are already adjusted, just install and ride.....

Lon

P.S. Audi's SUCK to work on.........
What he said. About an hour but they needed to remove the body. DK Customs have a lot of information on their Web site. Good guys to deal with. Made a world of difference on our '16 TG.

DK Custom (06-27-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:19 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Firebike32
What he said. About an hour but they needed to remove the body. DK Customs have a lot of information on their Web site. Good guys to deal with. Made a world of difference on our '16 TG.
The body doesn't need to come off to do the shocks and lift brackets. If they charged you for doing so, I'm afraid that's a "gotcha".......

YMMV

Lon

Old 06-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Do not put an air ratchet on the top shock bolt, it will pin the ratchet against the body behind the fender and you have hell getting it off.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
The body doesn't need to come off to do the shocks and lift brackets. If they charged you for doing so, I'm afraid that's a "gotcha".......

YMMV

Lon
Only charged me an hour with a couple misc, requested check items. Wasn't something I was about to try and over the years I've been well satisfied with the service my dealer has provided . And like you said, your dealer charged you for an hour.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:05 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Rough to one is smooth to another just as what is the best seat. I am just fine with the stock ride on mine for the last 23K. I did notice an improvement when my wife was with me. That isn't often so I noticed the difference.

Quick Reply: Rough Ride?