Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How to stop Engine from burning my leg

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 07:28 AM
rollonfreebird
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

My 18 ultra limited does the same thing, dealer says it's because of the bigger cat, hottest engine I've ever had

Old 07-01-2018, 01:10 PM
snipit
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,889 Likes on 4,148 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Lose the shorts....
Just don't post any pics!

Old 07-01-2018, 04:30 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Cats run hotter than the exhaust leaving the engine.

On HD's exhaust leaves the engine at around 1000*, but when the unburnt fuel in the exhaust reaches the cat it then burns and temps are normally seen in the 1500* area.

Details on the the function of the cat and why it is hotter than normal exhaust gasses-

Catalytic converters run very hot, they do three chemical reactions, two are oxidation and one is a reduction reaction.

Engines generally haven't time to complete the chemical reactions that oxidize fuel converting it chemically into CO2 and water. The exhaust includes amounts of unburnt fuel (hydrocarbons) and CO. The hydrocarbons react with the atmosphere to form a component of SMOG.

The catalytic converter completes the burn started in the cylinder using a catalyst (this causes ADDITIONAL HEAT)instead of a spark plug to combust the unburnt HCs to CO2 and water (H2O) and completes the reaction of CO to CO2 the latter may warm the atmosphere but won't kill you out right. CO is called a partial product, of which there are many in the burning of fuel in an engine. Combustion, whether in a fireplace or an engine, is a process that passes the chemical reaction thru several partial stages of reaction products before the equations complete with CO2 and water as final products. Combustion of these partial products depends on time, temperature and chemical associations to complete. Seldom is everything there to complete the reactions you're taught in high school chemistry.

The other major component of SMOG and a contributor to acid rain is nitrogen oxides (NOx). NOx is formed by combustion temperatures and pressures. This is one reason why overall compression ratios of modern engines were lowered and it is why there is an EGR valve on your motor. These two things reduce pressure and temperature which reduces, but does not eliminate, the production of NOx. To reduce the NOx levels in the exhaust the converter has another section for a reduction reaction catalyst which takes NOx molecules and tears them apart making free nitrogen and oxygen.

So all this chemistry going on in the converter makes for considerable temperatures within the converter.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Clint44 (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 04:32 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

09's had cats ?

Old 07-01-2018, 05:03 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Welcome to 3-wheels....Remove the catalytic converter!
+10 On removing the Cat

Old 07-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by kel03
09's had cats ?
California 09's did. The rest came along, in 2010.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

If it's his right leg from the mid thigh forward or lower leg it ain't the cat, not unless he's going backwards. As a noob he's probably clinching the tank with his legs. The air cleaner gets really hot, his leg is probably against it, that's what happened to me at first. I relaxed and quit riding like that, and then extended floorboards made all the difference so I could keep my feet on the board. Extended the brake pedal, too.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:46 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Jack Coulter, I just want to say holy crap; 85 years old and learning to ride anything is awesome. Good for you and pass on some of that longevity to the rest of us "kids"!
Welcome to the Forum, there's a ton of good advice here, as evidenced above.

The following users liked this post:
WesternVet (06-09-2019)
Old 07-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Geary Thomas
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
If it's his right leg from the mid thigh forward or lower leg it ain't the cat, not unless he's going backwards. As a noob he's probably clinching the tank with his legs. The air cleaner gets really hot, his leg is probably against it, that's what happened to me at first. I relaxed and quit riding like that, and then extended floorboards made all the difference so I could keep my feet on the board. Extended the brake pedal, too.
I was surprised to find out how hot the Air Cleaner gets...

Old 07-16-2018, 03:14 PM
azjohnryan
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Leg Protection

Go to Jafrum.com and order a set of half chaps to fit your legs. They are inexpensive on this website and will solve the radiated heat problems on your lower legs. Even when the air temp is over one hundred they will keep the engine heat off of your legs. I wore mine on a 5000 mile plus ride across the country and my legs were always comfortable no matter what the air temperature was. The floor board extension kit and putting your feet up onto highway pegs also helps. Also never ride in shorts, the engine heat,bugs and road debris hitting your bare legs will not only be uncomfortable but could also injure your legs. Ride safe, John Ryan

Quick Reply: How to stop Engine from burning my leg