Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trunk will not open

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 05:27 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Trunk will not open

My wife 16 Freewheelers trunk wont open. The bike has been trouble free in every way, until now. Warranty just ran out 3 weeks ago. The handle turns like normal but it wont release the latch. Took it to the dealer and he said they will need it for a week. They will need to take the wheel off and the fender then cut a hole in the trunk for access to the latch to open it. Then fix what ever is wrong with it then patch fiberglass over the hole then put it back together. I'm going to call him this week for the cost. He said they will help me on the cost.
I wish the MoCo would had made them with a access hole with a plug in it. I cant think of any thing different to do the fix it my self. No way in hell it will open as it is....Any one ever heard of this on Freewheelers ??.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:52 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Before I would let them cut on your bike I would find a good locksmith and see if he can do anything. There has to be a way to get that open without cutting holes in your bike.While turning the handle back and forth lift up kind of hard and turn maybe it will engage the latch again.

Last edited by santajim; 07-08-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:56 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

This....^^^^^ Even if you have to drill out the latch and get it like that, buy a new trunk latch... sounds like catch got loose inside and is not turning...play with it back n forth tons of times, maybe it will catch, tap it with a hammer lightly while doing this...

Old 07-08-2018, 07:01 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

There was a thread on this a couple of years ago; if you search you might be able to find it. As I recall, the screws holding in the latch backed out and caused the problem. I believe there were some solutions that did not involve cutting a hole. Sorry I can't remember more.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:45 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts
Old 07-09-2018, 06:22 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

I've seen all the Threads and we and others have tried every thing under the sun to try and open it, "nothing works". The MoCo did not make any back way to get inside. If it was the lock in the handle it can be opened. Most of the time the cable running over the the latch disconnects. My research .shows that cutting in from the side is the only option. Our Freewheeler has been a perfect bike. Had I known about this issue I would had lock tight the bolts
I don't think my dealer is Fuc*** us over, A lot of people have had to do the same thing.
This sucks but I cant find another way out.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:31 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

After reading this post, I had to check on the trunk latch of my 2016 FLRT. Looked in the manual, and found the inch/pound torque settings. Set the inch/pound wrench and found every screw was loose. Both on the lid and the catch. Tightened everything to specs. Just another thing to periodically check on. But at least it will open and close with no problems.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 07:09 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Angry

Originally Posted by ord sgt
After reading this post, I had to check on the trunk latch of my 2016 FLRT. Looked in the manual, and found the inch/pound torque settings. Set the inch/pound wrench and found every screw was loose. Both on the lid and the catch. Tightened everything to specs. Just another thing to periodically check on. But at least it will open and close with no problems.
I checked everything on her bike but never thought of the trunk.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:54 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

It's open and fixed. Dealer wanted to spend 3 to 4 hours on it. Took it to my Indy and he got it done for $100. And now I have a plug behind the fender if any thing stupid like this happens again.

The following users liked this post:
2AMGuy (07-15-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 08:40 AM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Real nice, and the dealer wanted to hold it for a week. Did you ever get an est. cost from the dealer?

Quick Reply: Trunk will not open