Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models-151/)
-   -   exhaust on 2018 tri-glide (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models/1244109-exhaust-on-2018-tri-glide.html)

Triglide18 07-17-2018 05:33 PM

exhaust on 2018 tri-glide

I have a new 2018 tri-glide and bought vance & hines pipes. They are not loud enough. Any suggestons would be appreciated. I don't want to do anything that would void the warranty.

sloufoot 07-18-2018 01:59 AM

Vance & Hines makes a lot of "pipes". Did you get a header also ? And what mufflers did you get?
The new mufflers will eventually get louder as they burn part of the fiberglass off the baffles. You can take some of the fiberglass off to start with also. Some of their mufflers also have different baffles you can get.
Just remember, Loud doesn't make more power or millage most of the time.

Nitro 54 07-19-2018 06:30 PM

As long as you have the catalytic converter on your bike, it will not get very loud.

midiwiz 09-13-2018 09:03 AM

ah you have to change the front pipe, you have to use the SE tuner and probably have the dealer do it so it "officially' doesn't taint the warranty. Otherwise I can tell you my 103 was loud with my slip ons (V&H 4") this M8 is the sound of a riceburner it's killing my brain LOL I'm going true duals next month. Although we have a new bike pup, and the jap sound of the M8 is helping the training since she doesn't jump when the bike starts LOL

ggadwa 09-13-2018 05:14 PM

Exhaust on 2018 Tri-Glide

Just my opinion. I have the Vance and Hines Power Dual's on my 2018 Tri-Glide and I think they sound just fine....however my last ride had the D&D Fat Cats and these are sure NOT them.
The Vance and Hines will likely burn in a little louder too.

GARY

Geary Thomas 09-14-2018 02:14 PM

Supriseing enough.. the pipes ( Trike Slip On's ), get louder as they "burn" in... took about 2000 miles, but Trike now almost sounds like a Harley

2AMGuy 10-09-2018 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Geary Thomas (Post 17682489)
Supriseing enough.. the pipes ( Trike Slip On's ), get louder as they "burn" in... took about 2000 miles, but Trike now almost sounds like a Harley

I'm "assuming" that you're referring to the V&H ovals for Tri-Glides?
I'd hate to spend that much money and not be happy with the product.
I read a comment somewhere that an owner made about them not being any louder that the OEM's he had taken off his trike.

My "updates" are pretty much complete but I'm "on the fence" about the exhaust and about the ESP.
I don't want to do anything that will void the H-D ESP but I want my trike to sound like a H-D.

I have Rineheart XT Ture Duals on my CVO 110, and my wife swears that the V&H Slash Cuts we had on our '03 RK (T/C88) sounded better than the Rinehearts!

I like the looks and sound of the V&H Twin Slash slip-ons but they're not recommended for the Tri-Glide.
Whatever mufflers I choose, I would like go to duals and eliminate the catalytic converter provided that it doesn't void my warranty.
However, iIf "slip-ons" are all I can do "legally" then I'll go with the them.

DK Custom 10-09-2018 04:27 PM

Here are videos of my two favorite exhaust set ups that I've run on my Tri Glide.

btw, on '17-ups, technically any change to the exhaust, except HD approved products, voids the powertrain warranty...yes, this is an illegal mandate from the EPA, but until it is challenged/overturned in court, their illegal mandate is supposed to be enforced.

Personally, I would put what I wanted on my ride, and if I had to take it in for warranty work I would put it back to stock, resulting in no warranty issue.

Geary Thomas 10-15-2018 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy (Post 17744737)
I'm "assuming" that you're referring to the V&H ovals for Tri-Glides?
I'd hate to spend that much money and not be happy with the product.
I read a comment somewhere that an owner made about them not being any louder that the OEM's he had taken off his trike.

My "updates" are pretty much complete but I'm "on the fence" about the exhaust and about the ESP.
I don't want to do anything that will void the H-D ESP but I want my trike to sound like a H-D.

I have Rineheart XT Ture Duals on my CVO 110, and my wife swears that the V&H Slash Cuts we had on our '03 RK (T/C88) sounded better than the Rinehearts!

I like the looks and sound of the V&H Twin Slash slip-ons but they're not recommended for the Tri-Glide.
Whatever mufflers I choose, I would like go to duals and eliminate the catalytic converter provided that it doesn't void my warranty.
However, iIf "slip-ons" are all I can do "legally" then I'll go with the them.

yes, they are not "LOUD", but they are better than stock... I keep wondering " if I removed the baffles ???"

2AMGuy 10-15-2018 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Geary Thomas (Post 17758237)
yes, they are not "LOUD", but they are better than stock... I keep wondering " if I removed the baffles ???"

Removing the baffles (I think) would require a tuner.
I did this once many years ago on an older (2000) bike with disasterous results and had to replace the baffles!

As of now, I think I'll go with V&H Twin Slash slip-on' s (I like the way they look) and if I have any serious engine issues I'll just re-install the OEM's.