Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

mid step

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 06:57 PM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mid step

This was the year I was supposed to ride the trike. Nope. Has anyone taken off one of the mid steps or engineered it themselves. Boot is massive. $2000 worth of shoe, not exactly comfy.

Has anyone taken one off or engineered their own. Social Security and medical bills take all my money. I need to gets some longer bolts and spacer and move the right

floorboard out farther. I rode it over to Walmart yesterday and made sure all could see my handicap plate. I just had a hell of a time dragging my right foot/boot over the

seat. I would of fell if if a guy hadn't helped me get my leg over it. I will never be able to wear a normal riding boot on my right foot. Right now it's good he gave me the
addict" size. Inaddition to the foot issues with the right foot, They cut a toe off my left foot. MEDS!!!!!

Old 07-20-2018, 07:42 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

tGlide Stuff used to sell a set of floorboard extenders that set the boards out 2 1/4 inches, I've got them on my Tri Glide and they are very nice, super heavy duty.
Darn, I see that tGlide Stuff no longer has their website, and their Facebook page says they are closed as of January and all sold out of everything. Too bad, they made some nicely machined stuff. But maybe you can find a set somewhere. Does anybody know of a source?

Before that I had someone else's 1" extensions on there; they all are larger outside than the hardware store 3/8" x 1" spacers and I'd think the bolts need to be a higher grade.

There are some other options, I'm sure the kind folks here in the forum will chime in soon with more ideas.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:07 AM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Zbear, sorry to hear of your issues. I have the DK 1" extensions on mine and they help a lot, don't know if they would extend enough for your needs, though.
Not sure how you mount your trike, but I will toss this out there. When I have my Tri in my 6' wide enclosed trailer, I backup to the left side (by the trailer side door), put my left foot on the driver board and my right foot on the passenger board, then push up & onto the passenger seat. Then swing my left leg over the tank to the right driver board and slide forward onto the driver seat. My wife has right hip & knee issues and she mounts to the passenger seat the same way. Not sure if this would help you or if you have already tried that. Anyway best of luck to you going forward.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:26 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

I have a set of these on our trike, front & rear. http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/ride...flb-ext-09.htm They make a noticeable difference in comfort.

As for mounting my trike, I stand on the left side, grab the handlebars, stand on the left board with my left foot, then swing my right leg over the trike, and sit down. Our trike has a passenger backrest but no tourpak.

Last edited by Clint44; 07-21-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:34 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,589 Posts

My riding partner has had two knee replacements as well as some other metal added to his body and he has a heck of a time mounting his trike.
He just installed the mid-step and says that he likes it but I haven't seen him mount and dismount using this accessory.
As long as he likes it, that's all that matters.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:54 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint44
I have a set of these on our trike, front & rear. http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/ride...flb-ext-09.htm They make a noticeable difference in comfort.

As for mounting my trike, I stand on the left side, grab the handlebars, stand on the left board with my left foot, then swing my right leg over the trike, and sit down. Our trike has a passenger backrest but no tourpak.
I mount mine this same way when it is not in my trailer. There are 3 bolts for the floor board on the left and only 2 bolts on the right. I figure 3 bolts will hold me better than 2!!!