Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Transition from 2-wheels to 3-wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 08:29 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

It can take a bit to get used to it, some take to it right away, others it takes a few thousand miles. But they are definitely a blast to ride!

I've spent a lot of time on ATV's and they are just like them in terms of how to steer, so it was 15 minutes and I was good.

Here's a vid of Mary and I riding the Dragon....like santajim mentioned, they handle like a go-cart, a ton of fun in the twisties.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Dante221 (01-27-2019)
Old 08-05-2018, 10:22 AM
ultrafxr
Cruiser
Received 122 Likes on 78 Posts

I went to three wheel ten months and 12k miles ago and both the wife and I are happy we made the transition. Not that I couldn't physically handle two wheelers any more - it was more of a mental / stress thing with me. Having ridden 100s of thousands of miles on two wheels these past 50+ years I found that when on a road trip two-up and fully loaded the constant pressure of stopping on bad / bumpy / uneven roads, maneuvering crowded parking lots, having to deal with gravel and dirt occasionally was taking its toll on me. Having that third wheel freed me from those concerns so i find myself enjoying the ride so much more. I was a bit 'freaked' the first time out but adjusted almost completely the first fifty miles or so. Now its second nature and no worry at all. I don't miss two wheels and would not go back.

The following users liked this post:
pritzent (08-06-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 01:48 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
It can take a bit to get used to it, some take to it right away, others it takes a few thousand miles. But they are definitely a blast to ride!

I've spent a lot of time on ATV's and they are just like them in terms of how to steer, so it was 15 minutes and I was good.

Here's a vid of Mary and I riding the Dragon....like santajim mentioned, they handle like a go-cart, a ton of fun in the twisties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UAMKIj97G0
Just watched this video again on the apes on a trike thread. always fun. just wish the music was not as loud so I could hear the pipes better

Old 08-05-2018, 02:21 PM
millsym2k
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobros
Atter 40 years of riding 2-wheel harleys I'm contemplating a tri glide. Test rode one today for about 10 miles. My left brain was arguing with the right. It's instinctive to countersteer. I was a little more comfortable the last 5 miles but underwhelmed with the experience. It just seemed like more work steering as opposed to effortlessness of two wheels. Will I adapt and enjoy as much as 2-wheels or am I just not ready for a tri glide? My wife wont ride on the ultra but is open to the 3-wheels. This is a big reason for me considering the tri glide. Thoughts?
check out leaning trikes..

Old 08-05-2018, 04:13 PM
dbluefish
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Learning curve

78 yo here amd having slowly gotten to the point others have mentioned(getting freaked at stop lights as though i might drop it, gravel or uneve surfaces in parking lots, dropping it in my garage due to not paying attention)and i was sure i would have to stop riding Harleys. Then tried a Triglide and scared myself silly but i rode it around my dealer bldg until i sort of got the hang of it. 50+ years on two wheels and my synapses could not easily handle three wheels. But i had to ride, it had to be an HD big twin so got a great deal trading my '12 Roadglide and now have a '12 Triglide and three weeks later i really enjoy it. Same sounds but feet up ALL the time and put backrest on and rides are pure pleasure.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by ultrafxr
I went to three wheel ten months and 12k miles ago and both the wife and I are happy we made the transition. Not that I couldn't physically handle two wheelers any more - it was more of a mental / stress thing with me. Having ridden 100s of thousands of miles on two wheels these past 50+ years I found that when on a road trip two-up and fully loaded the constant pressure of stopping on bad / bumpy / uneven roads, maneuvering crowded parking lots, having to deal with gravel and dirt occasionally was taking its toll on me. Having that third wheel freed me from those concerns so i find myself enjoying the ride so much more. I was a bit 'freaked' the first time out but adjusted almost completely the first fifty miles or so. Now its second nature and no worry at all. I don't miss two wheels and would not go back.
I didn't feel that way when we owned our Boss Hoss trike but after purchasing the Street Glide, I started to have the same concerns as you. It honestly got to the point where I didn't want to ride, anymore. Actually enjoy trikes more, now.
With lots of men, their ego gets in the way of considering three wheels. Hard to get it in their head that trikes are a lateral move from a bike, not a step down.

The following 2 users liked this post by Clint44:
5wheels (02-19-2019), Dante221 (01-27-2019)
Old 08-06-2018, 06:11 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

That is about the best way it could be explained to anyone. Good job.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Those Urals with the side cars always fascinated me, but the wife said she would never ride in a sidecar, they just looked too weird and frumpy. We didn't want her riding with me on 2 wheels any more after her knee surgery anyway. But I was already sold on 3 wheels.

So it was either ride together on a trike, or ride by myself on the Ural. I told her it was a tough decision (running, ducking, grinning)

I rode quads, the old Honda ATCs, tractors with narrow front ends, and tried a couple of bikes with sidecars, so in the first 70 miles home I went from fear to loving it.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:34 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

...i think the moderator or policies does not allow to put brand names.....i was trying to use the four letter word for a sport shoe company....one that has a very recognizable symbol........and i believe the words the use is just do it.......

Old 08-11-2018, 04:58 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

What he said, along with a new hip and knee the Ultra was beyond my safe mode. I was really nervous when the wife was with me, she sensed it also.
Now on three, tho not the same it sure is more relaxing, you are in the wind. Looking in the mirror wife is all smiles. That to me made the decision to go trike is priceless.

As mentioned previously rent one for a day. That will make the go-no go decision.

Quick Reply: Transition from 2-wheels to 3-wheels