Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Transition from 2-wheels to 3-wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

This is a great thread and reading all the different reasons people have become Trikers resonates with me.
I have had many different bikes and a wife for 40 years that never would get on one. She was cared, period. A couple of years ago a friend offered her a ride on his new TriGlide and she actually agreed. Next thing I knew I had traded my Streetglide and we have never looked back. Well, almost. I do miss the experience of riding on two wheels and have considered getting a replacement just for me, but I doubt I would ever have time to ride it. She's the one now who frequently suggests we go for a ride and certainly always goes on those many rides with friends we always get to do.
As far as getting used to it, I really never had any issues. It's different than two wheels, but not that much, to me. I was a pretty competent rider and good at low speed two wheel riding, so I honestly really miss practicing those skills. But, the benefits of having her want to be part of this hobby and the real benefits of travelling with a TriGlide, as many have stated above, far out weigh the loss of the two wheel experience for me.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:25 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by harrell42
I am 77 years old and have been riding harleys since i was 21 years old and other brand of bikes also except a honda gold wing i cannot get
used to the fixed fairing even on a road glide i have had i started off on a 1957 police bike and had a hand shift for a while they are a challenge
to ride and shift. I have about 500,000 miles on a two wheled harley street glide, road king, softail, ultra cvo ultra and several more
harleys, two years ago i developed back and knee problems and i fouind a great deal on a 2009 tri glide about 400 m iles from my home
called the dealer and made the deal on phone left home friday morniing test rode trike and i was a little aquard feeling had 19,400 miles
got home about nidnight nearly frozen had only light clothes was planning on stayhi ng overnight but could not find a room so
decided to ride home wife was behind me in car but made it it now has 43,,550 miles would not go back to two wheels if i was able not
much safer and more peace of mind only thing they are much rougher than two wheels, it is hard to miss the bumps in road wth three wheels
rather than two rr tracks are murder i wnt to the lift kit and the goodyear comfort thread tired some better but much worse thana
two wheeler i have not tried the shocks yet but they are very expensive and i dont think would help that much, any comments on this will be
appreciated. Roller thanks
Check out this REPORT on rear suspension. I belive you will be pretty amazed at what a difference the 14" Trike Series Shocks™ make.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-07-2019, 02:50 PM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by harrell42
I am 77 years old and have been riding harleys since i was 21 years old and other brand of bikes also except a honda gold wing i cannot get
used to the fixed fairing even on a road glide i have had i started off on a 1957 police bike and had a hand shift for a while they are a challenge
to ride and shift. I have about 500,000 miles on a two wheled harley street glide, road king, softail, ultra cvo ultra and several more
harleys, two years ago i developed back and knee problems and i fouind a great deal on a 2009 tri glide about 400 m iles from my home
called the dealer and made the deal on phone left home friday morniing test rode trike and i was a little aquard feeling had 19,400 miles
got home about nidnight nearly frozen had only light clothes was planning on stayhi ng overnight but could not find a room so
decided to ride home wife was behind me in car but made it it now has 43,,550 miles would not go back to two wheels if i was able not
much safer and more peace of mind only thing they are much rougher than two wheels, it is hard to miss the bumps in road wth three wheels
rather than two rr tracks are murder i wnt to the lift kit and the goodyear comfort thread tired some better but much worse thana
two wheeler i have not tried the shocks yet but they are very expensive and i dont think would help that much, any comments on this will be
appreciated. Roller thanks
I can't recommend upgrading your suspension enough. It is expensive, but worth it if you can swing it. I highly recommend giving DK Customs a call and discussing it with them. I can tell you, the bumps are still in the road, but with our Pro-Action shocks we hardly feel them, just like in the car. When they were brand new we went out and purposely rode over railroad tracks to test them out and we were very happy.