Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Harley Tuners and Reinhardt Slip Ons

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 06:08 AM
wengerda
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Harley Tuners and Reinhardt Slip Ons

Question, I have on my 2017 trike the Harley strret tuner and the new smart tuner. One of the Harley dealers told me with these two tuners I should not have slip on Reinhardts, the other dealer told me it is okay to have this slip ons. The first dealer wants me to remove the tuners and add Powervision. Confusing will I damage anything having the 2 tuners with Reinhardts slip ons or should remove them and installed Screaming Eagles slip ons. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:28 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Perhaps you could explain why your using two tuners?

The slip-ons don't require a tuner at all. The ECU should handle them without any concern.

You certainly could benefit from ONE tuner, I would think two would have them competing for control/performance.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:36 AM
wengerda
Cruiser

The new second tuner Smart tuner) is something new that Harley is doing, it includes with a better 02 sensor too. Sorry is a Stage 1

Old 08-16-2018, 07:53 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

The mufflers and the newer HD turner is what I use with no problem I have not tried the other HD turner you referred to yet , the only negative comment I have is my dealer told me that the Reinhart are not EPA approved and would nullify my power train warranty it’s a mystery to me why they recommend a non HD turner also, the Reinhart mufflers sound great though

Old 08-18-2018, 04:06 PM
dbluefish
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Reinhardt(?) Slip ons should NOT affect warranty if i have read the intent of the Moss Magnuson Act. Harley must prove the modification caused the problem. That is my understanding. From what i have read on here and elsewhere HD tries to weasel out of some warraty claims and some dealers are not on our side.

paul

The following users liked this post:
RedOregon (08-23-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:40 PM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts

Your first dealer is either a) a liar b)stupid c)a thief d)all of the above. I wouldn't set foot in his place again.

The following 3 users liked this post by RedOregon:
PFWiz (08-23-2018), RMcCord (01-24-2021), wengerda (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:44 PM
wengerda
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RedOregon
Your first dealer is either a) a liar b)stupid c)a thief d)all of the above. I wouldn't set foot in his place again.
All of the above, they really suck for sure.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:49 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

I have the Rinehart 4.5" and the SE tuner and have zero issues. I'm pretty sure that both the stock ECU or the SE tuner can handle any slip on muffler on the market. The SE tuner is designed to handle programming all the way up to Stage 4 so not sure what your dealer is talking about.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Perhaps you could explain why your using two tuners?

The slip-ons don't require a tuner at all. The ECU should handle them without any concern.

You certainly could benefit from ONE tuner, I would think two would have them competing for control/performance.
When I did the Stage I one on my '16 TG they did the Street tuner with the new pipes and the Rhineharts. Since then I was having a problem with the thing running rich and leaving a lot of soot on the outlet of the mufflers. We added the Smart tuner that adjusts constantly to keep the bike running right. Got a little over 4000 mile on the new setup and am very impressed.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:20 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,604 Posts

FWIW, I have Rinehart XT True duals on my 13 CVO Ultra and I thought they sounded pretty good.

However, a few weeks ago we finally sold our "pristine" '03 RK (295 actual miles on the odometer) to one of my wife's best friend and her husband and later that evening my wife told me that the RK (V&H slip-ons) sounded better than my Rineharts!

I have a new ('18) Tri-Glide on the way so before I spend any money on mufflers or exhaust systems I want to put a thousand or so miles on it and them install the S/E stock mufflers that came of off of the CVO and see how they look and sound.

Also, H-D claims that the Tri-Glide gets 42 MPG's and I want to see if their claim is anywhere close to being accurate.

Quick Reply: Harley Tuners and Reinhardt Slip Ons