Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

After a few weeks with my '12 Triglide

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 10:56 AM
dbluefish
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default After a few weeks with my '12 Triglide

I found a few things, brought to my attention on this forum that do not seem to bother me. Heat, while there, feels just like my '12 RG. Clunks, its a Harley. Leaks, absolutely none. MPG, my RG got 48-50 and the TG gets 32-34. So what? I could have bought an Insight. Sitting the rear is a tad lower but the RG was the premium with smaller wheel so no biggie. Quicker steering? Any quicker and it would freak me out. Went to breakfast on n Fl and S Ga roads, about 130 miles round trip and this thing scoots. I bought used so no idea what might have be done to it but I LOVE THE DAMN BIKE! Just my 2 cents worth.

Semper Fi to all my brothers('62-'65)

paul

The following 3 users liked this post by dbluefish:
DK Custom (09-06-2018), frenchbiker (09-09-2018), wijr1949 (09-06-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 03:46 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Glad you are liking it, they are a blast to ride!

Old 08-24-2018, 07:17 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by dbluefish
I found a few things, brought to my attention on this forum that do not seem to bother me. Heat, while there, feels just like my '12 RG. Clunks, its a Harley. Leaks, absolutely none. MPG, my RG got 48-50 and the TG gets 32-34. So what? I could have bought an Insight. Sitting the rear is a tad lower but the RG was the premium with smaller wheel so no biggie. Quicker steering? Any quicker and it would freak me out. Went to breakfast on n Fl and S Ga roads, about 130 miles round trip and this thing scoots. I bought used so no idea what might have be done to it but I LOVE THE DAMN BIKE! Just my 2 cents worth.

paul
Come on now don't be so negative. lol
The longer I have mine the more I enjoy it. I just need to get everything caught up so I can get some riding in. Semper Fi (72-76)

Old 08-27-2018, 06:28 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I have had my '16 tri since June and have put 5k miles 0n her (3k on her maiden voyage to Yellowstone and back) and am loving her more every day.
Go Navy(68-72) sorry had to throw that in.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:32 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

...glad you're enjoying your '12 trike. I have a '16, which I do like, however, if I could do it all over again, I would have bought a '13 TriGlide. Last of the nice and simple trikes with no video screen, no clutch master cylinder and no water pump. I have 5300 miles on mine and 300 miles ago installed that DK Supply oil filter relocation kit & oil cooler. Don't know how many degrees cooler it's running, but on the hottest of days(92*-96*), the fans for the water cooling don't come on anymore, where they use to on 88* and up days they would. Just sitting still at a traffic light when hot out I can tell the bike is much cooler. Also, since the oil isn't getting thinned out as much by the heat, the lifters & top end is much quieter. I routinely get 35.5 to 38mpg with mine. So far, it's been a great trike. Ride safe!!!

The following users liked this post:
frenchbiker (09-09-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 11:25 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

OK, today was the first "outing" that I've had with my '18 Tri-Glide that I brought home last week.
(I've been tinkering and adding accessories 'till now).
I had a dental appointment so I took the trike on our first real ride and the following are a few of my findings:

I still feel like the machine wants to "roll over" in sharp turns.
Something must be also be done with the amount of effort it takes to make this machine go around curves.
I've driven non-power steering trucks that didn't take this much effort!
Even after "adjusting" the stock handlebars, they have to go! I need more "reach and rise" and I don't feel comfortable with them.
The stock windshield is as useless to me as "teats on a boar hog"! I need more height (as I'm sure most taller people also do).

All of that said, my knees didn't react negatively to the riding today and with the above issues addressed and perhaps an exhaust that will make it sound like a Harley, I think I will eventually adapt and overcome the newness of this machine.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:35 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
OK, today was the first "outing" that I've had with my '18 Tri-Glide that I brought home last week.
I had a dental appointment so I took the trike on our first real ride and the following are a few of my findings:

Something must be also be done with the amount of effort it takes to make this machine go around curves.
Even after "adjusting" the stock handlebars, they have to go! I need more "reach and rise" and I don't feel comfortable with them.
The stock windshield is as useless to me as "teats on a boar hog"! I need more height (as I'm sure most taller people also do).

All of that said, my knees didn't react negatively to the riding today and with the above issues addressed and perhaps an exhaust that will make it sound like a Harley, I think I will eventually adapt and overcome the newness of this machine.
You will loose that roll over feeling the more you get used to it and trust it.
The effort it takes to turn your Trike will be less if you put taller bars on and you also should think seriously about the DK Custom comfort lift kit it does make a difference,
Check out the LRS recurve windshields they are very reasonably priced and you don't have to have one of those stock type shields that have to be 6 feet tall to get the wind over you.
I am 5'6" with short arms and went with the Krome werks 2+2 wide sweeper bars and really like them, wrist angle is much better, Trike turns easier.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 11:36 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
You will loose that roll over feeling the more you get used to it and trust it.
The effort it takes to turn your Trike will be less if you put taller bars on and you also should think seriously about the DK Custom comfort lift kit it does make a difference,
Check out the LRS recurve windshields they are very reasonably priced and you don't have to have one of those stock type shields that have to be 6 feet tall to get the wind over you.
I am 5'6" with short arms and went with the Krome werks 2+2 wide sweeper bars and really like them, wrist angle is much better, Trike turns easier.
Between you guys here on the forum and my riding partner putting the DK lift kit and shocks on his '16 Tri-Glide y'all have convinced me to bust into the piggy bank and order these items for mine.
As for the handlebars and windshield issues, I'm a little over 6' tall (with a long torso) and I wear a 34"-35" shirt sleeve.
I sit "high in the saddle" which I suppose contributes to the conflict of my dimensions vs those of the trike.
I currently have W.O's 577's (I think they have a 12.5" rise) on my CVO Ultra and I have them pulled back as far as possible towards me and still clear the fuel tank console.
I would have these installed on the Tri-Glide but there's a (slight) chance that my wife may occasionally ride the trike so I want to get the "adjustable" Helibars for the trike.
At this point, the only downside that I see with the Helibars is that all wiring has to be installed using conduit that can hopefully in a chrome.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 09-06-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:39 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by dbluefish

paul
Paul, glad you're enjoying your TG. They are a ton of fun!

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy

Besides a Comfort Lift™ to make it steer easier and have more tail pipe clearance, check out this LINK on The Comfort Triangle. Getting wider bars will give more leverage, making slow speed steering MUCH easier.

I know what you mean about the thoughts about it tipping over. To me, just looking at them, they look like they could just be flicked over on the side. While they can tip, you have to work pretty hard at it...they are amazingly stable. I would spend some time in a parking lot doing circles and figure-eights to get to know a bit where the limits are.

Here are a couple of videos that you may find interesting, showing how stable they are.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com