Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Size limit for USB flash drives??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Captain997
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Size limit for USB flash drives??

My infotainment system doesn't seem to recognize a new usb stick. I have an old one that's 1 gb, but this new one (with different music) is 4 gb and when connected, doesn't show up. Any help appreciated.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Captain997
Banned

Since posting this I've found that size doesn't matter. The usb I'm trying to get recognized is a SanDisk brand. Just wont work. Other makes do, so I guess Ive answered my own question. Now just have to figure out how to add playlists. Songs in multiple folders just get jumbled all together. I've read somewhere that the answer is a usb hub. Then you can have one drive for country, one for rock, etc. Will have to check that out more.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,199 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain997
Since posting this I've found that size doesn't matter. The usb I'm trying to get recognized is a SanDisk brand. Just wont work. Other makes do, so I guess Ive answered my own question. Now just have to figure out how to add playlists. Songs in multiple folders just get jumbled all together. I've read somewhere that the answer is a usb hub. Then you can have one drive for country, one for rock, etc. Will have to check that out more.
It has nothing to do with the brand...it is the file system...MANY USB systems used FAT32...and wont read anything else...newer USB drives are exFat or NTFS...and will work on older systems IF you format them as FAT32 before you load the files on them...lot of the newer large capacity USB drives are USB 3.0 and many older systems (like car stereos such) won't recognize them at all.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:58 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,149 Likes on 3,515 Posts

That's interesting. I could swear that 32GB was the limit, and stated as much in the manual. I've been wrong before.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Captain997
Banned

Thanx Tom84,
Unfortunately, that's not it. Did a bunch of digging after reading your post, and now understand the ins & outs of file system formats.
Both the usb's I have are 4gb and both are formatted FAT32. One is recognized, one isn't.

No big deal at this point, as I just won't use the SanDisk. But being the curious person I am, it just bugs me. I'll keep fishing, and if I find a solution, I'll post it here. For now, the only thing for sure, is try to avoid SanDisk brand usb's.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:59 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 3,019 Posts

They have a speed rating that your system may not be capable of using.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:02 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

A lot of them have crap on them already. Drivers and adware crap that they are paid to load on them. Then the first time you plug them in they try to install stuff on your machine or ask you if you want it. I have found that these types of drives cause issue.

I always format before I use

Old 10-10-2018, 03:02 PM
PGTRIKE
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pny 16 gb

I picked up a four pack of 16GB PNY at Costco a while back. They work fine, all files are under the root dir. I have seen that the file type and how the encoding is done can cause issues like not recognizing the flash drive when the file in question is the first one the system tries to open.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Captain997
Banned

Well this thread has certainly morphed into something more than what I intended. BUT, I've uncovered some useful info that others might find interesting.

First - forget about my original question. That seems to be solved. At least for me. Don't use SanDisk usb's. I have a 4gb PNY and it works fine. Formatted to FAT 32.

Now for my second problem. Get all my music files on the usb sorted and arranged. So country songs are not mixed in with rock, or pop, or jazz, etc. I found you can join multiple usb's with a hub, but that seemed like overkill.

So here's the answer. Really simple.
1. Create individual folders on the usb and name them whatever you want. Example: COUNTRY, JAZZ, ROCK, MY FAVORITES. Doesn't matter. You pick.
2. Drag and drop all your files into the appropriate folders
3. Now if you were to stop at this point, you couldn't play just the Country songs. The Boom system just jumbles all the songs together into ONE big listing regardless of your nice organized folders.
4. You have to create playlists. Here's how. Go to https://www.oddgravity.com/app-opc.php and download this little program. It's free. Install it and get it up and running.
5. Now go to your folder on the usb drive called COUNTRY, select all the songs, drag them into the app, give the playlist you're going to create a name, (Bob's Big Bad Country Tunes) and make sure you save it to the usb drive. It will save it to the root directory, then just move it into the same folder as your songs. (COUNTRY) That's it. Done.
6. Now when you select MEDIA/USB/FIND/PLAYLIST all your playlists will show up, and ONLY those songs will play.

Hope anyone interested in this can find it buried down in this thread. Good luck...….

The following 3 users liked this post by Captain997:
Geary Thomas (10-15-2018), LS Bob (10-14-2018), Oogie Wa Wa (10-10-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 02:34 PM
rchays57
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 64 gig on my 2015 no problem

Quick Reply: Size limit for USB flash drives??