Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:57 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
Hahaha, sure! It's really funny because she's about the calmest, quietest person you've ever met. I don't know what happens, like a switch flips or something, it's almost scary!!
I'd stay married to her, you'd have nothing left in a divorce, just saying ! ha ha

The following users liked this post:
Oogie Wa Wa (10-16-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 08:38 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
I purchased my 2013 Tri-Glide on 12/13/12.....got a notice that ESP expires 12/13/18. If 2-year factory warranty plus 5-yr ESP, wouldn't that expire 12/13/19? Dealer said no. They want $2,000 for 2-yr ESP, which is all I can get...only a 2-yr extension from original ESP.
I'm looking at my (7 year, unlimited mileage) ESP contract and it clearly states in-service date September XX, 2012, expiration date September, XX, 2019,

Check your ESP policy.
It's been a long time since I was in school but back then 2+5=7 and I'm pretty sure (even with the new math) it still does.

Not your fault that they cannot either count or read, eh?

Perhaps your salesman made an error on the original paperwork but I'm not aware that they even offered a FOUR YEAR warranty which is basically what they're saying.

Also, if they're only offering a two year extended warranty (in addition to yours that expires in 2019) you may want to do some shopping at another dealer or call the Discount ESP folks and see what they can offer. It doesn't hurt to shop and ask questions.

Keep us informed. This is interesting

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 10-14-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:00 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

When you buy a 7yr extended warranty at the same time you purchase your Harley it will expire 7yrs from the date of purchase. They screw you out of 2yrs that cover the bike under factory warranty. There ends up a double warranty for the first two years that is wasted money.
The way they get away with it is you can see the extended warranty expiration date when you sign the contract !
The only way to get around it is to wait until your 2yr factory warranty is about to expire and purchase the extended then.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:36 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

It's been a while since I checked, but https://www.boardtrackerhd.com/learn...vice-contracts has always had the best deals on the HD "extended warranty". You do have to be there in person to get it. This is a few years old due to the change in HD policy on territories for the dealerships.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-15-2018, 08:26 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
It's been a while since I checked, but https://www.boardtrackerhd.com/learn...vice-contracts has always had the best deals on the HD "extended warranty". You do have to be there in person to get it. This is a few years old due to the change in HD policy on territories for the dealerships.
I was specifically told by the my HD dealer/finance guy that if I purchased an ESP (2-yr) outside the HD umbrella, they would not honor it.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:15 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I was specifically told by the my HD dealer/finance guy that if I purchased an ESP (2-yr) outside the HD umbrella, they would not honor it.
Boardtracker sells the HD ESP. They also sell the non-HD ESP, but you can get the HD branded ESP from them also...BUT, only if you are there in person.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:40 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

This is interesting.
The finance guy where I bought my trike was showing me both the H-D plan as well as one from another company.
From what I've been told, the major difference between the H-D plan and the non-H-D plan is that the H-D plan is to be used at H-D dealerships only, and the non-H-D plan can be used at any state licensed repair facility (including H-D dealerships) however, prior to any work being started, the warranty company must be contacted by the repair facility in order to get their approval.

FWIW, DiscountESP offers the lowest rates IF you feel comfortable with them but obviously the H-D seems more convenient.
In between these two is Protective Asset Protection (just a little cheaper than H-D) but they offered me "lifetime free battery replacement.

A major concern for everyone about all of these warranties should be the clause about "Limits and Exclusions" which means that any modifications to your bike "may" void your warranty.

I'm only thinking of possibly a Stage 1 to make the trike sound better and run cooler but if I'm reading it right, even this limited upgrade could be grounds for them to deny a claim if my trike suffered a serious engine, transmission or drivetrain failure.

Another interesting fact is that the "Tire & Wheel" warranty only covers the price of the OEM tire and/or wheel and they have a set price.
If you "upgrade" to a custom wheel and/or tire and then hit a "chug-hole" it will cost you out-of-pocket expense.

BinIdaho (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
This is interesting.
The finance guy where I bought my trike was showing me both the H-D plan as well as one from another company.
From what I've been told, the major difference between the H-D plan and the non-H-D plan is that the H-D plan is to be used at H-D dealerships only, and the non-H-D plan can be used at any state licensed repair facility (including H-D dealerships) however, prior to any work being started, the warranty company must be contacted by the repair facility in order to get their approval.

FWIW, DiscountESP offers the lowest rates IF you feel comfortable with them but obviously the H-D seems more convenient.
In between these two is Protective Asset Protection (just a little cheaper than H-D) but they offered me "lifetime free battery replacement.

A major concern for everyone about all of these warranties should be the clause about "Limits and Exclusions" which means that any modifications to your bike "may" void your warranty.

I'm only thinking of possibly a Stage 1 to make the trike sound better and run cooler but if I'm reading it right, even this limited upgrade could be grounds for them to deny a claim if my trike suffered a serious engine, transmission or drivetrain failure.

Another interesting fact is that the "Tire & Wheel" warranty only covers the price of the OEM tire and/or wheel and they have a set price.
If you "upgrade" to a custom wheel and/or tire and then hit a "chug-hole" it will cost you out-of-pocket expense.
Due to the illegal EPA mandate, on '17-up models, anything done to the engine, (stage 1 air cleaner, exhaust, tuner) that is not a Harley epa approved item, will void your drive-train warranty. The three items previously mentioned are emission related, and covered under the EPA mandate...other items would be cams, heads, etc.

Since the HD tuner and air cleaners are not good choices, and you may or may not like the HD approved exhaust, the way around that it is to not take it in for warranty work without putting it back to stock.

Other items, like a cooler, are not covered by the illegal EPA mandate and can only void the warranty if they are proven to have caused a problem. Again, rather that fiddle around with them, just put it back to stock before taking it in.

On '16 and earlier models the EPA mandate (that is in conflict with the Federal law of the magnuson moss warranty act) does not apply and an aftermarket part can only cause a warranty issue if the part is proven to have caused the failure of a factory part.

Unfortunately the ILLEGAL EPA mandate has stripped '17-up HD owners of their rights under Federal law regarding OEM warranties in regards to the drive-train. Fortunately it is not too difficult to put most Stage I upgrades back to stock to level the illegal actions of the EPA.

Regarding the wheels & tires option, the ESP is an insurance, and they are charging for it based on factory wheels and tires, so that is understandable.

BinIdaho (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:39 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
When you buy a 7yr extended warranty at the same time you purchase your Harley it will expire 7yrs from the date of purchase. They screw you out of 2yrs that cover the bike under factory warranty. There ends up a double warranty for the first two years that is wasted money.
The way they get away with it is you can see the extended warranty expiration date when you sign the contract !
The only way to get around it is to wait until your 2yr factory warranty is about to expire and purchase the extended then.
Hmm, now I'm really confused Slou.....I purchased the '13 Tri-Glide on 12/13/12 and added the 5-yr ESP at that time. The number still don't add up. 12/13/12 to 12/13/18 = 6 yrs. 12/13/12 two-yr factory warranty expired 12/13/14, then the 5-yr ESP kicked in, no? Still can't figure out why the 5-yr ESP expires 12/13/18.....shouldn't it be 12/13/19? I'm so confused and dense when it comes to numbers *frowning*. So, I should have waiting until the 2-yr factory warranty was about to expire and then purchase the 5-yr ESP.

Last edited by BinIdaho; 10-15-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:56 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Hmm, now I'm really confused Slou.....I purchased the '13 Tri-Glide on 12/13/12 and added the 5-yr ESP at that time. The number still don't add up. 12/13/12 to 12/13/18 = 6 yrs. 12/13/12 two-yr factory warranty expired 12/13/14, then the 5-yr ESP kicked in, no? Still can't figure out why the 5-yr ESP expires 12/13/18.....shouldn't it be 12/13/19? I'm so confused and dense when it comes to numbers *frowning*. So, I should have waiting until the 2-yr factory warranty was about to expire and then purchase the 5-yr ESP.
Kinda sounds like someone made a mistake when they wrote the contract up,,, If they used January of '13 because it was the next month to start the contract, that makes it from "13 to 12/13/18 (the real purchase date '12) for the 5 years. Maybe not a bad mistake after all. follow ???? LOL !. It should have expired 12/13/17.
You actually gained some. Almost a year.
One thing ,,,, could this double warranty lead to double charging the company for warranty work ??????? NAH !

Last edited by sloufoot; 10-16-2018 at 03:41 AM.
BinIdaho (10-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Warranty