Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models-151/)
-   -   Warranty (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models/1257054-warranty.html)

Rogue1 10-11-2018 08:31 AM

Warranty

Question......If I buy A new bike from one dealer, can I purchase an extended warranty from another?

2AMGuy 10-11-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tarheel Leo (Post 17748664)
Question......If I buy A new bike from one dealer, can I purchase an extended warranty from another?

Yep! However, there are geographic rules as to where you can purchase an ESP and the dealership has to abide by these limitations.

In addition to the H-D ESP (extended service plan) the are other companies that also off a similar plan at a much reduced price but the rules an coverage appear to be different so you need to shop wisely and rea the fine print before purchasing an extended warranty. Be especially careful to read and ask questions about adding accessories or having work done to your bike that may void your warranty.

Rogue1 10-11-2018 10:34 AM

Warranty

I don't think I am talking about an extended service plan. What I had on my 2015 Ultra limited was a 7 year extended warranty on the drivetrain only. Does Harley-Davidson still offer that?

2AMGuy 10-11-2018 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tarheel Leo (Post 17748938)
I don't think I am talking about an extended service plan. What I had on my 2015 Ultra limited was a 7 year extended warranty on the drivetrain only. Does Harley-Davidson still offer that?

Yep, but it's actually a 5 year plan (your first two years are the manufacturer's warranty) that spans a total of 7 years.

I have it on my '13 CVO Ultra and I have just about ONE YEAR remaining.

tbob 10-11-2018 09:15 PM

Just bought the seven year with tire and wheel. List price was $3,100 that was suggested sell price. They will negotiate that price. I bought it from another dealer for a lot less.

Oogie Wa Wa 10-11-2018 10:24 PM

I did a lot of checking into the options on this alternate warranty stuff, but then when we bought the trike our dealer had a thing going on where if you got the 2+5 at their price (which was a little lower than the full HD price) with the purchase, and financed through them (paid it off in a week) they also threw in their VIP plan. That included the first four services (1, 5, 10 and 15K), delivery after each service (83 miles saved), one detail job and their accessories points rewards program for three years. Just the services were worth what, $300 each? The points thing was 10% of what you spent in credit for the next accessories or parts purchase. So it never hurts to ask about any specials or anything else to help with the deal first. I couldn't come close to beating it.

Heh, and then I set the great negotiator on them, my wife. She's a formidable force whenever we buy a vehicle, I just sit back and enjoy watching the sales reps cringe. I think she gets off on it. Anyway, she got them to do stuff like drop that BS $300 "document processing" fee that takes them maybe 5 minutes to do, and a few other things, probably saved us another grand or so altogether. She's like "Hey, while you're at it, toss a passenger helmet intercom kit and a power port kit into the tour pack before we actually sign this, OK? We'll install them." She's done things like show auto salesmen that there were discounts on the manufacturers websites that even they didn't know about, and got them for us. I'm a lucky guy!

LS Bob 10-14-2018 12:19 PM

Hey Oogie,
Ask the Mrs if she would be willing to do consulting, like a bike purchasing rep. I thought I was good at the negotiating vehicle purchases, but she sounds like she’s on a whole different level. ��

Oogie Wa Wa 10-14-2018 12:54 PM

Hahaha, sure! It's really funny because she's about the calmest, quietest person you've ever met. I don't know what happens, like a switch flips or something, it's almost scary!!

Oogie Wa Wa 10-14-2018 01:00 PM

I think her secret is to go for things that have a high price but in reality don't cost the dealers that much. If it's something passed on from the manufacturer or in-stock big markup parts or things like a warranty or current and future services charges they figure they aren't losing that much.

BinIdaho 10-14-2018 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy (Post 17749093)
Yep, but it's actually a 5 year plan (your first two years are the manufacturer's warranty) that spans a total of 7 years.

I have it on my '13 CVO Ultra and I have just about ONE YEAR remaining.

I purchased my 2013 Tri-Glide on 12/13/12.....got a notice that ESP expires 12/13/18. If 2-year factory warranty plus 5-yr ESP, wouldn't that expire 12/13/19? Dealer said no. They want $2,000 for 2-yr ESP, which is all I can get...only a 2-yr extension from original ESP.