Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Flatbed trailer towing question.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:43 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Flatbed trailer towing question.

I finally got my new Aluma TK1 trailer setup like I wanted it. I found the "sweet spot" for my tongue weight location to give me 220 lbs hitch weight. My total weight with spare tire and tool box etc is 1,950-2,000 lbs. I have my Condor PS1500 ready to go and all my tie downs etc. I have a question for those of you that tow your Trike on any flat trailer. Do you leave the windshield on or take it off while towing? The TK1 has a 24 inch guard/toolbox up front, but at highway speeds that is still a lot wind hitting the shield. Yes, I know it hits the shield when riding anyway, but as easy as they are to remove and put on it's no big deal. I have seen people towing with the shield off, but most leave them on. I was thinking about taking it off. My thinking was it would just be less force on the fairing and might save a shield if a rock or something did manage to hit it. Of course, I suppose if a rock that was going to hit the shield hit the tour pak...I would be PO'd. I guess it helps keep some of the rain off the dash also. I might just put a short shield that I don't use on it and swap them out after towing. Yes, I tend to be OCD.

Last edited by so60; 11-16-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:37 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

It sure wouldn't hurt to have the reduced drag on everything with it not being up there in the air. But won't that let rain get inside the fairing? Yeah, it's not that waterproof to begin with being open on the bottom, but normally it does stay pretty dry in there. Maybe stuff something in the gap and re-tighten the screws.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 11-16-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:56 PM
so60
Club Member
Default Yeah.

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
It sure wouldn't hurt to have the reduced drag on everything with it not being up there in the air. But won't that let rain get inside the fairing? Yeah, it's not that waterproof to begin with being open on the bottom, but normally it does stay pretty dry in there. Maybe stuff something in the gap and re-tighten the screws.
I was thinking about putting a rubber strip (old inner tube) in between the two fairings and tighten the bolts, or maybe just use an old short windshield.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (11-16-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 12:45 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Many trailers made for hauling motorcycles have either a rounded ,or "V" shaped aluminum front wall to protect the motorcycle. That TK1 has a low wall that works for a wind break, but I wonder how much that would blow things over the top.
There is a lot of crap from the road that is brought up by the tow vehicle.

Last edited by sloufoot; 11-17-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:10 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,586 Posts

I have a 20' heavy duty, tandem axle landscape trailer that's set-up to carry 4 motors.

I split a piece of exterior plywood and mounted it on an angle on the front of the trailer to be used as a gravel guard but it is not tall enough to protect the bike windshield(s) but I think my truck deflects a lot of wind and possibly gravels away from the bikes.
I've been using it for 8 years and I've never noticed any damage to the bikes that I've transported.

Flat beds are easier to pull as they have less wind resistance but their shortcomings are that you bike(s) are exposed to the weather and some people who may REALLY want your bike or possibly some of your accessories!
Enclosed trailers at least conceal your load but like anything else, a thief can usually steal most anything they want.

If you have enough storage space and if it makes you feel better, removing the windshield (or other accessories) may be a good idea but just make sure that you properly wrap them to prevent them from getting damaged.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Siuuplink
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TK-1 Trailer

A few weeks ago i hauled my trike 400 miles on the Aluma TK-1 traiker behind a Subaru Outback 3.6R. No problem with the windshield and did not notice any drag at all. In fact, I was surprised how few bugs were stuck on the windshield at the end of the trip. I think between the vehicle height and then the v-shield on the front of the trailer, most of the wind was deflected up and over the trike.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:41 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,586 Posts

I would like to point out that (IMHO) having mud flaps (gravel guards) on the rear wheels of a tow vehicle can help deflect a lot of debris away from the towed trailer and it's cargo. If you don't want permanent mud flaps mounted on your vehicle there are alternatives that can be mounted to the trailer's tongue.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:31 PM
so60
Club Member
Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the Aluminum shield up front on the TK1 does a great job of deflecting articles from small tiny pieces of dirt and sand etc to rocks. As you know we are constantly being bombarded with fine sand and gravel pieces while riding on the bikes and in our vehicles. No doubt that mud guards can make a lot of difference. I think I will try to find something for my 2013 Odyssey that I can mount to the tongue or possibly to the vehicle hitch.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Anyone have a used TK1, PM me