Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New to a trike

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 08:34 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

I was thinking about this thread when I was riding the other day. When going into a faster, or tighter, turn, I instinctively push my thigh/knee against the tank....left turn = left thigh/knee against the tank, etc. This keeps me in place. I will also lean into the turn some on really aggressive cornering, this shifts the weight to the side where the rear tire may be getting a bit light.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-23-2018, 12:32 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I was thinking about this thread when I was riding the other day. When going into a faster, or tighter, turn, I instinctively push my thigh/knee against the tank....left turn = left thigh/knee against the tank, etc. This keeps me in place. I will also lean into the turn some on really aggressive cornering, this shifts the weight to the side where the rear tire may be getting a bit light.

When I lean in to the curve I will also push and pull the handlebars basically steering with both hands. I straight arm the hand I push with the tighter the curve the more I lean. I have only lifted a wheel one time and I was way too hot. Backed off the throttle a little and It settled right down.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:59 PM
sstan
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I too am new to trikes and have been remiss in posting to introduce myself. I’ve been riding 54 years but a few years ago had a stroke so that my left side is weaker and continues to get worse over time. The stroke was caused by my helmet getting pulled from the wind and the strap crushed my carotid artery, but that’s another story best told over the campfire.

When the Ultra started getting to be too heavy, I began researching trikes here. There is a ton of knowledge and experience that convinced me I was going in the right direction. So I started shopping for a M8 Tri-glide The engineering breakthroghs in this engine really spoke to me in spite of the few issues with it. I eventually found a 2017 with only 150 miles on it (no typo). So I made a deal over the phone, sight unseen, with the dealer. He was very happy to talk numbers on a 2 year old bike with 2019’s on the floor. Never having ridden a trike I got on a plane and rode it home 1200 miles for a break-in.

Following the suggestions of experts here I have so far added the comfort lift, V&H slip ons, rear bumper, free flowing A/C, FP3, windshield, fender bras and most importantly the AIM light force slave cylinder. This part alone has changed my life riding this bike, remember my left side is weak. The stock clutch was impossible and I can’t understand why the factory would let something like that go into production.

This winter’s projects planned are shocks, LED running lights, floor board spacers, highway pegs front and rear, remote oil filter and love jugs. With these done I should be ready for another long summer of riding. BTW the softail is still fun to ride being lower, lighter and after building the engine plus a new lock up clutch.

Thank you all for your contributions and sharing here. I hope to see you on the road.

Cheers!
Steve