Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New to a trike

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:04 PM
Robmitch49
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to a trike

I could use a little advice. Im Looking at trikes now. Not really my idea. My gf reasons that I'm 69, and had a heart attack and I might fall over. Oh yes, there is that pacemaker/difibulator thing. Anyway I'm looking at a 13 Triglide and a 16 Triglide. Both are clean and low mileage. Not figuring price, is the 16 a better bike with the Rushmore upgrades? Im coming off a 2010 Heritage Classic and do want something different. I would appreciate any input.
Rob

The following 2 users liked this post by Robmitch49:
Dante221 (12-17-2018), GPHDXLC (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 PM
ultrafxr
Cruiser
Received 122 Likes on 78 Posts

I do think the '16 Rushmore is a better choice for several reasons. The re-designed fairing does help with buffeting, the larger front forks offer improved rode and handling and the newer infotainment center is much better. There are probably other improvements but those are the major ones I can recall. Good luck with whatever you choose and I think you will be pleasantly surprised what a blast it is to ride a trike.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:14 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Rob
I have a 16 Trike and Love it. It took me about a year to convince myself that a Trike was in my future I am 70, i have ridden 2 wheelers most of my life and didn't think I would want to go to something I have to steer instead of leaning but once I made the transition and rode it for a while I don't want to go back. These things are a kick in the *** to ride, like riding a Go Cart.
I think the 16 would be the best choice because of the Rushmore format.
Some things that make it better are;
1. Water Cooled heads makes it cooler on the engine and you.
2. The infotainment center has it all FM Radio, USB drive, GPS and is wired for the CB if you so desire. These are on top of what ultrafx said.

There are a few things that IMO are necessary adds on.
1. DK custom 1.5" lift kit for the rear, makes the steering much easier.
2.Get rid of the catalytic convertor it holds in to much heat on the GF and while you are at it do a stage one you and the engine will thank you for it.
3. when you start riding you will have a tendency to back off when you corner because you aren't sure about it tipping over but learn to TRUST the Trike and you will soon lear the these things can go through the twisties at least as good as the 2 wheelers can.
4. RIDE the beast you will love it.
Jim

Old 12-14-2018, 06:43 AM
kero
Tourer
Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

'16 have better brakes, better "handbrake" and cooled heads, apart all info entertainment upgrades

Old 12-14-2018, 07:22 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Hi Rob,

I'm almost 68 and been riding on 2 wheels for 52 years. Just 2 months ago, I got rid of my FLHTC and bought a 2016 Tri Glide.

The Tri Glide looks like it just came off the assembly line and only had 3,400 miles, It already had an FP3, V&H Deluxe slip-ons, Power Duals and a high flow a/c.

I managed to put about 1,000 miles on it before winter set in.

I love this bike, but be aware that after being on 2 wheels for my riding life, there is a learning curve. The major difference for me is the no leaning when cornering.

The steering is all upper body, almost like riding an ATV. 90% of my riding is 2 up. I adapted quickly but my wife is having some issues.

Instead of leaning into the curves, she feels like she's sliding side to side on the seat when cornering,

Also, the Tri Glide suspension leaves much to be desired. I just bought the Comfort lift kit and 14" shock combo from DK Customs. It should be arriving today. I'm hearing nothing but good things about this mod.

Also bought some other goodies from DK including a set of passenger adjustable highway pegs. Hopefuly my wife will be able to push herself back into the backrest when cornering to eliminate the sliding side to side issue.

I don't know a whole lot about trikes yet, but I'd go witht the 2016. Good luck with which ever way you go. Stay safe!

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 12-14-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Robmitch49
Cruiser

I want to thank all of you. This is the kind of information i was wanting to get. The difference with the Rushmore upgrades sounds to be a big difference. Are all the 2016 touring HD bikes Rushmore? Im still a little confused there.
i was a little concerned about the liquid cooling but seems the benefits out weigh my concerns.
Yes i can already see that exhaust and a lift kit will be first on the list. I'm sure the difference in steering will have me nervous. I got on a three wheel bicycle one time, the first ten seconds were embarrassing to say the least.
Again i walt to thank you Ultrafxr, Jim, Kero and ElectroGlideSteve. Your information and experience have been very helpful.

The following users liked this post:
kero (12-16-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 12:42 PM
ultrafxr
Cruiser
Received 122 Likes on 78 Posts

Project Rushmore was the big redesign introduced in model year 2014. So all from 2014 on are referred to as Rushmore models.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

I am no authority on trikes, but I did have the pleasure of renting a '14 Tri-glide for three (3) days when visiting Mt. Rushmore. You will find there are certainly differences between 2 and 3 wheels. For me, the sensation of feeling like I was going to be launched from the bike in a high-speed turn took some getting used to; however, my biggest piece of advice if you intend to keep a 2-wheeler and transition between the 2 - remember, when you're back on the trike, you need to put your feet down at stops. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:53 PM
Robmitch49
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sailmotion
I am no authority on trikes, but I did have the pleasure of renting a '14 Tri-glide for three (3) days when visiting Mt. Rushmore. You will find there are certainly differences between 2 and 3 wheels. For me, the sensation of feeling like I was going to be launched from the bike in a high-speed turn took some getting used to; however, my biggest piece of advice if you intend to keep a 2-wheeler and transition between the 2 - remember, when you're back on the trike, you need to put your feet down at stops. Good luck.
Ha ha. Yep I can see me after riding a trike, forgetting to put my feet down at a stop. I will also, for a while try to put my kickstand down i bet.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:01 PM
vegas-triker
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

take your time and get accustomed to the ride.. after a few, you'll be like the rest of us... what took so long ?? ( 72 soon ) on a 2018

Quick Reply: New to a trike